Front mech cage a bit unstable

ADL
ADL Posts: 138
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Recently I've found that the chain occasionally rubs the inner plate of the front mech (3 y.o. Deore) when on 2-2 and 2-3 gears. I've rechecked the front mech alignment, L/H settings, cable tension, but it didn't help. If I loosen the cable tension, I get the chain rubbing the outer plate on 3-8 and 3-9 gears.
Then I found that the chain rub on 2-2 and 2-3 can be eliminated by pushing the cage by hand, it goes inwards ~1mm, and it gives enough clearance for the chain. For sure, after I switch the front gear several times, the chain rub can appear again. I've got a new cable fitted, the outer cable and the mech have been cleaned and lubed.
Is it the front mech spring problem, or a poor set-up? Thanks.

Comments

• Mooose
    Mooose Posts: 47
    I seem to remember the exact same thing happening to mine a while back, only I cant remember how i solved it / what the cause of the problem was, but heres some ideas:

Try loosening the clamp bolt and swiveling the mech around the seat tube a little, (in the direction of the rearward part moving closer to tyre), enough so it no longer catches, then retighten.

Otherwise, could be some dirt/grit in the mech that evaded cleaning - try taking it off the bike for a thorough clean with a touthbrush and detergent/degreaser, then regrease and refit.

Of course you'll also have to re-configure the limit screws/indexing afterwards...