Endomondo APP

stormtrooper 1
stormtrooper 1 Posts: 15
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Got an O2 phone thinking of upgrading it and using the endomondo app do i need phone coverage for this app?Mainly ride Afan and trails in south wales which O2 tend not too cover will this effect the said app? :roll:

Comments

• concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Yep it will
  • Ok thx dude was told probably from the O2 shop thought i'd check with people in the know.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Sorry I mis-read your post. I don't know how but I did. Too much lager most likely! You do not need the signal as in network signal because it works with GPS. Your phone can get that without network signal. Coverage is still not great in forestrybareas though as GPS tends to like clear line of sight.

One thing you wont be able to do without signal though is upload the ride while you are out But that doesn't matter, just upload it when you get signal or arrive home and connect it to your wifi at home.
  • Cheers buddy. :lol:
  • EarlofBarnet
    EarlofBarnet Posts: 673
    There are some great tracking apps for phones, I've found them really useful when out and about. I'd also recommend EveryTrail and iMapMyRIDE.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Use Endomondo and then you can join the Crudcatcher Endomondo Distance Challenge

In fact, if you post this question in the challenge thread you'll probably get some responses from people who already ride round there.
  • deeptheory
    deeptheory Posts: 76
    I use runtastic after been recommended by two biking friends. Not saying endomondo won't do the same job as I'm sure it will but I can definitely recommend runtastic.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Phones do positioning a number of ways.

There's a system called Assisted GPS which is usually the default. This uses a small amount of data to connect to the network and download data related to satellites and various other things that helps it lock onto a position with the GPS quickly.

Plain GPS doesn't need the network and it will just rely on the satellite signals, but it takes some time to acquire enough signals and it has to get a bit of data down from the satellite via a slow link (it's data related to where the other satellites are).

There are other methods sometimes used, such as using cell locations to initially get a rough area of where you are, and can be used in A-GPS to help lock the signal.

Basically A-GPS will rely on the network and cost a small bit in data, but it's not much. It makes GPS quicker though, and it also assists when in built up areas.

P.S. Watch out for a release of Sports Tracker on iPhone and Android. It's an excellent tracker app that Nokia released years ago, and is now part of an external company and they've announced the released of iPhone and Android versions. If it's the same as the Nokia one you can have it work with no network connection at all, both for GPS and the maps, though you need to cache the maps via WiFi or whatever by viewing the area you are going to ride.