Replacement Fork for Cannondale?

OJS
OJS Posts: 130
edited May 2011 in MTB general
I have a 2010 Cannondale RZ 120 3, which I love apart from the Recon Race Fork. It may be just me that can't set it up right but I cannot get the 120 travel (most 90-95), even on really rough terrain, using much lower pressures than suggested (recommended 75-80, using 60).

Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong with the Recon or recommend a good replacement? I have looked at some SID Ti's on offer at £449, don't really want to stretch to £700 for some Fox. Only issue with new forks is the 1.5 steerer on the bike, wiith forks not seeming to come in this steerer option anymore.

Also could I fit a 140 fork or would I need to check with Cannondale?

Cheers

Comments

• NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    you can buy reducer kits for the head set to make it 1 1/8 . i wouldn't go over your current travel length as it will invalidate your warranty and could cause your frame to crack 'n' fail .....although cannondale are good at that anyway.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have some 140mm Rev Teams on my Rize and they feel very similar. Quite a bit of plush travel in the first half then they ramp up quickly and it takes a very big hit to get the o-ring close to the crown.

No probs fitting 140s to your RZ120 although you may find that it lifts the front too much. My Rize came with 130 Toras and the Revs were noticeably different.

The frame on my bike has a reducer in the head tube to accept 1 1/8" steerers. Does your bike have Recons with a 1.5" steerer?
  • OJS
    OJS Posts: 130
    Cheers,

Yes they are the original forks and have the 1.5 steerer. Did yiou fit a reducer for a 1 1/8 fork or a taper? Also, what make/model is the reducer?

I like the sound of some Revs but the new ones are 150 travel, which is prob too far. Think it may have to be some SID 120's or a 2010 Fox 140 float (which they have on CRC with a 1.5 steerer at £399.

Did you fit maxle forks and change the wheel too? Not sure its worth going down that route personally as I only weigh 75kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    forget the pressures stated and just set your sag with whatever pressure you need.

I would give it a bit more time as you will have similar issues with any air fork or coil fork with incorrect springs.

if it is dual air see the info in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    OJS wrote:
    Did yiou fit a reducer for a 1 1/8 fork or a taper? Also, what make/model is the reducer?
    It's Cannondale part #KP058. You can get it from a Cannondale dealer or from the distributors cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk
    OJS wrote:
    I like the sound of some Revs but the new ones are 150 travel, which is prob too far. Think it may have to be some SID 120's or a 2010 Fox 140 float (which they have on CRC with a 1.5 steerer at £399.
    I would stick with the 120s. The angles are already fairly slack and the rear shock is longer on the Rize/RZ 140
    OJS wrote:
    Did you fit maxle forks and change the wheel too? Not sure its worth going down that route personally as I only weigh 75kg.
    In some respects I wish I had. I am 95kg and although the Revs are very light they are quite noodly at times. I have a couple of other bikes with 20mm axles and the difference is like night and day in terms of steering accuracy but if you are lighter and use a bit of finesse I think it would be less of an issue.