megaexo bb ticking under pressure...please help!!!!

speshyalex
speshyalex Posts: 62
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
at my wits end with this.....
i have a high pitched ticking sound when i pedal i've tried greasing the bb threads/loctited them and tried putting a retaining compound/grease on the splines and i loctite the crank bolt , but i cannot get rid of this noise.....any ideas :(

ps.crankset is an fsa team issue..

pps. i've read about fitting the bb with ptfe tape round the threads, will propably try that next.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    checked the pedals?

new BB?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • speshyalex
    yes brand new bottom bracket (bb-9050) and i removed the pedals and greased the threads, also rebuild kit fitted although the spring and inner wngs(eggbeater sl) are sloppy and well worn.......

ps thanks for the quick response..
  • astormatt
    astormatt Posts: 79
    Have you tightened the crank bolt to the specified lb or nm? or just tightened it as much as you can?
    I have had it before when overtightened it ticks.
  • speshyalex
    i tightened the bolt until i could feel the crank bottom out on the splines, i will have to get an adaptor for my torque wrench... :)

ps. i have just replaced the kmc chain/sram cassette and ta chainrings ....
  • speshyalex
    astormatt wrote:
    Have you tightened the crank bolt to the specified lb or nm? or just tightened it as much as you can?
    I have had it before when overtightened it ticks.

i've loosened the bolt a bit then done it up not quite so tight and took the bike up the nearest hill and the noise is still there...

i've discovered slight play between the rd cage and the knuckle i will grease that,i wouldn't of thought that would be the cause but i've had dirt between derailleur hanger and frame and the creak really resonates/amplifys through a carbon frame i find....

thanks for the advice..... :)
  • speshyalex
    update. bought a torque wrench and new crank bolt all fitted correctly , noise is still there allbeit quieter so i am thinking i've damaged the bearings when i've previously overtightened the bolt? anyway i'm going for a few laps of the local xc course(chicky) the short steep climbs there really test the bb maybe it will settle down..... :D
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    I think the mega exo set up is the biggest piece of sh!te I've ever had the displeasure of owning.
  • speshyalex
    well i'm so tempted to just fit my spare firex gxp cranks, just got back from a ride now i think its the axle interface as its only that side thats creaking. i'm going to strip it again and re install with retaining compound on the splines to see if that does any good....
  • speshyalex
    well i'm so tempted to just fit my spare firex gxp cranks, just got back from a ride now i think its the axle interface as its only that side thats creaking. i'm going to strip it again and re install with retaining compound on the splines to see if that does any good....
  • speshyalex
    a greased the bolt andtightened it up to the correct torque and its quiet till the really steep stuff so i think its the bolt head moving slightly in the crank when under alot of pressure. i'm sure i read somewhere it helps to sand the bolt down slightly?