A light bike for starter 7 yr old?

cossington
cossington Posts: 36
Hi,

My two sons, aged 5 and 7 are just getting to grips with riding w/out stabilisers. Our 5 year old has a (naturally) smaller and lighter (c17lbs vs 23lbs) bike. He is whizzing around on it very easily. Our 7 year old is very frustrated by his own limited progress. I suspec tparet of the issue is the weight of his bike, whihc makes it less easily handled/ slower to get up to speed to start off, etc.

I'm keen to get him riding, happily and enthusiastically - would it be worth getting a light bike (eg a BMX, perhaps?).

I know Isla bikes are fab and intend to get two in due course. At this stage I don't feel gears are needed, but add un-needed weight.

-Is weight a major issue, or should I just stick with the existing 22lb bike a few more tries?
-Are BMX bikes generally the lightest of options, or what else is recommended?

For background, our younger son had a balance bike for two years, our elder son had a bike with stabilisers!

Any input gratefully received.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    Smaller isla bikes don't have gears.. you would need to have a check of their website. The only problem with BMx bikes is they are built to be ridden out of the saddle, so distance would be an issue, unless you put a longer seatpost in...maybe?
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • cossington
    CarleyB, Thanks very much for your reply - good point about the BMX 'style'. Perhaps a longer seatpost would do the job.
    I suppose I'm looking for a short term solution, happy to move them onto Isla bikes once the elder has build up his basic start-off skills and handling skills. (I've checked the Isla bikes site - their bikes up to 4+ (CNOC) come without gears, but with gears beyond that.)

Anyone any suggestions for a single speed lightweight bike for a 7 year old?

Many thanks,

David
  • I'd just get an Islabike with gears - my son rides the Beinn 20 with 7 speed gripshift, and loves it. I know weight is your worry, but even with gears the bike is way lighter than most other kids' bikes.

Before you know it, your son will have got the hang of riding and will really appreciate the gears.

I cannot rate Islabikes highly enough - they are a bit more expensive than other bikes, but when you look at the resale value on ebay you will easily recoup the additional extra outlay.

Personally, I think the quality and weight of most kids' bikes is little short of scandalous. Many of these bikes (esp. the cheapo full suspension bikes) weigh approx half a kid's bodyweight. That would be like me riding a 6.5 stone bike - madness. It's no wonder the kids find them hard to use.
  • cossington
    Simianwatching. Thank you. After sleeping on this issue and pondering a variety of options (some of which will be applicable for about two weeks) I have decided to go down this route.

I suspect the potential lower gearing may make starting off a little easier, as well as giving more options of which terrain to ride on.

Islabikes x2, it is. I'd love to do everything I can to encourage a positive approach to cycling for them. A good quality bike (which, as has been pointed out, has good re-sale values) is a sound start.

Thanks to both for your replies and to various other contributors to other threads I've trawled through, to get some perspective and good advice.

Now, where is that credit card....

Regards,

David
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Congrats. Welcome to the Light side
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    For background, our younger son had a balance bike for two years, our elder son had a bike with stabilisers!

I suspect that might be some of the reason for the disparity, rather than just bike weight, as junior will have better natural balance from training on a balance bike rather than stabilisers (all other things being equal, which of course they won't be, as all kids are different).

I'd still go ahead and buy a couple of Islabikes though as they'll both hopefully appreciate them.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • GT-Dave
    GT-Dave Posts: 1,441
    I would also check out the Dawes brand of bikes. Very good, and pretty light. Considerably cheaper than the Isla's too.
    Ours learned on a 16" Isla, currently have 20" Trek's, and we are looking at Dawes next.
    Damn, kids grow out of bikes so fast! :lol:
  • cossington
    Dawes and Trek as options - that is really useful.
    Our Isla bikes are due here, today - so could be a exciting, if tiring, weekend on the bikes! I'm hoping the re-sale value means the large day one investment will be a one-off with future purchase costs being offset by future re-sales, so lower net outlay in the future.

t4tomo, I fully agree - following our experience I am definitely a big fan of balance bikes as the way to start them riding.

Many thanks again for your help and insights.

Regards,

David
  • wolvesdug
    wolvesdug Posts: 25
    We have isla bikes for both of my lads.Your kids will love them.
  • My little lad, although very nearly 6 is only the height of a 3-4yr old. Only been riding 4 weeks tomorrow but he is soo keen and will ride and ride and ride! He's been doing all this on his 12yr old brothers old, old 14" bike which weighs in at 13kg, the poor boy only weighs 16kg himself :shock: Because he is just so keen I researched and researched and also discovered Islabikes and have now ordered him a Cnoc 16(hope he can atleast fit it), anything to keep them enjoying such a good form of fun and fitness!