Carbon roadie & 105 for under £900

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Was in Decathlon today and they had their own brand carbon road bike with 105 groupset for £899. Thought it was exceptional value. No idea how it rides but it might be of interest to somebody here...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/btwin-facet-3-175387571/

There are also other models in the line-up...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/road-comp ... s-3964121/

Comments

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    The one bit of info I can't see there is what does it weigh?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • I like this bit from the description of the Facet 5, particularly the proviso in the brackets.

'The compact chainset enables you to cope with mountain passes(with training).'

I'd need more than a compact to 'enable'; I'd need loooots of training/weight loss/electric assist ;)
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    pianoleo wrote:
    Impressive for a sub £900 bike....
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Tempted.

How does this frame stack up against a Planet X SL?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    The bike looks a real bargain with that level of spec. As far as I could work out from the website the stores only seem to stock the middle size and I want the largest. Other internet chatter would indicate that Decathlon has a poor system of store stocking/ordering in GB even though the French stores are ace. Perhaps I will need to go to Calaise or order on the French site?

There is a distinguished correspondent on BR who is/was a Decathlon employee. Perhaps he can lend some insight to the matter? Does look like a good deal though.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Am I missing something here because that looks butt ugly to me.

£900 for carbon er go to Ribble - join the herd :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The bike looks a real bargain with that level of spec. As far as I could work out from the website the stores only seem to stock the middle size and I want the largest. Other internet chatter would indicate that Decathlon has a poor system of store stocking/ordering in GB even though the French stores are ace. Perhaps I will need to go to Calaise or order on the French site?

There is a distinguished correspondent on BR who is/was a Decathlon employee. Perhaps he can lend some insight to the matter? Does look like a good deal though.

I think you mean Wappygixer (or something like that).

Edit:
    I found the fella and I was right about his name Wappygixer.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!