shiny phone - which apps?

2»

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I would expect that your phone has a default app to just log GPS data. If not then sportstracker (at least on Nokia) can log without access to data networks if you switch that setting of, as can viewranger. You can get a trial viewranger for 16 days from their website - it is quite a complex application that can be daunting at first. I'm still playing with it.

I also discovered that viewranger does cache on the phone openstreet or open cycle maps. There is a setting on the Nokia version to set the amount of phone memory to use. I set it to 500mb but would be interesting to see just how big it can go.
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    whitestar1 wrote:
    JonnyN wrote:
    ViewRanger .........get it!

Yeah? A app that cost £14.99? Is it that good?

??? Got mine for about 2 quid!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Price varies.

The "open" edition is around £2 and is for use with "web map". i.e. you get no maps with it and you download from OSM and the like.

Not tried it and not sure if it caches the maps or if it's just "live" view of web maps.

£15 gets you the version where you can download and buy map tiles (OS?). The tiles are v.expensive in my opinion, especially for 1:25k, compared to paper maps in the shops.

Then you can pay more for bundled packs.

The prices have changed though. When I originally looked at the Nokia option it was £40 just for the software and no maps!!
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    deadkenny wrote:
    Price varies.

The "open" edition is around £2 and is for use with "web map". i.e. you get no maps with it and you download from OSM and the like.

Not tried it and not sure if it caches the maps or if it's just "live" view of web maps.

£15 gets you the version where you can download and buy map tiles (OS?). The tiles are v.expensive in my opinion, especially for 1:25k, compared to paper maps in the shops.

Then you can pay more for bundled packs.

The prices have changed though. When I originally looked at the Nokia option it was £40 just for the software and no maps!!

rip off!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk