JOGLE Essentials

djredrupp
djredrupp Posts: 18
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hey guys,

Im doing John O'Groats to Lands End in June (5 cyclists), and have been wondering what essential tools i will need to take to keep the bikes running smooth, and cover a few common issues.
For normal rides at home (50 miles ish) I only carry a spare inner tube, mini pump, patches, tyre leves, allen key set and a spoke key.

For multiple days riding, what more will i need to keep the bike running smooth?

(if it makes a difference, we are all on road bikes)

Thanks!

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I always carry in addition to what you have mentioned.

Chain splitter. (Spare missing links if using KMC/ SRAM style chain) chain pins (If shimano or Campag).

Duct tape, Zip ties

Replace standard tubes with Slime Tubes (Carry one spare and a repair kit Which I have never had to use on a combination of Schwalbe Marathons and slime tubes)

Decent Tyre levers

Water bottle cage bolts. (Handy as spares I have snapped rack bolts on occassion)

One Gear and one brake cable (If you can get tandem style ones from Fibrax they can be used on any run)

Topeak Alien 3
  • djredrupp
    djredrupp Posts: 18
    Replace standard tubes with Slime Tubes (Carry one spare and a repair kit Which I have never had to use on a combination of Schwalbe Marathons and slime tubes)

Interesting you say that Tim - when i brought my bike (second hand) it had 2 slime tubes, ive since found that every time you try and pump it up and depress the presta valve, a bit of the slime gets into the valve and stops it closing properly!!

Am I likely to be needing spare spokes? (on Ritchey Pro D's )

Anything else anyone can add?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    From my humble experience - inner tubes (though I didn't get a puncture). Perhaps a tyre boot - in case you get a gash in a sidewall? Spare pokes wouldn't be a bad idea if you are riding something that can't be fixed easy, but if you make sure your wheels are in decent condition...

Defo spare chain link.

Not an essential - but maybe see if you can book a massage half way?
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Must admit first set of slime tubes I fitted had been on the shelf in the shop a while and there was a problem with them leaking back into the valves. LBS replaced them no problem and the "Newer" ones have given me no problem.

But I use these rims as both my tourer and commuter so they are never left standing for long.

Think thats the key give them a spin every so often and it distributes around the tube nice and even rather than pooling at the valve. I also counterbalance my rims by putting computer magnet opposite the valve on the front and a little weight on the adjacent to the valve on the spoke on the rear wheel.

The spare tube I carry is just a standard butyl not a slime tube.