Poxy chickens

Confusedboy
Confusedboy Posts: 287
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Been under the weather for a few days now and I got a nasty rash 2 days ago, so I went to see Bones yesterday, and he told me I've got chickenpox. BLOODY CHICKEN BLOODY POX!!! That's a kid's lurgy and I'm nearly 60. Most of my so-called friends think it very amusing, and I cannot find any dignity at all in the situation.

Self imposed quarantine, boredom, medication, and crusting pustules (Bones told me to look out for them as they mark a stage where I am less infectious and contagious and can probably safely go shopping) are the order of the next week or so. Bugger. I am pink, having painted myself with calomine lotion, fed up, and unable to go for a ride. I am feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Is this the chicken's revenge for all the curries, pies, risottos, kebabs, 'n chips, and so on I have so carelseely consumed over the years?

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    It's a bugger when you can't ride, my commiseration's.

I've only just started back riding properly after 7 months due to a broken arm. The turbo trainer kept me relatively sane.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    That's bad luck - I understand that chicken pox is often unpleasant for adults.

Apparently the "Chicken" referred to chickpeas as the poxmarks were supposed to look a bit like chickpeas...
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    'Bones'? Do you live on the Starship Enterprise? :wink:

I had chicken pox in my early twenties and it was a nightmare to begin with (the fever followed by the insane itching), but then when you get to the stage when you can squeeze the pustules (only when they are properly ripe or you will leave scars)... man that was fun. They get everywhere too as an adult (and I really do mean everywhere).

Most important thing: get yourself some quality antihistamine tablets to save yourself from going bananas. And if 'Bones' told you you couldn't wash for ten days (as my house mate at the time who gave me the disease’s did), it's balls; you just need to be careful you don't make a mess of the blisters.

Have fun with it and I hope you feel better soon!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Nasty - so glad I caught it as a kid. It's 'orrible
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    'Bones'? Do you live on the Starship Enterprise?

If he did he could cycle on the holodeck :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    [Trekkie]
    No, if he went to Bones (McCoy) he'd have been on the original Enterprise NCC-1701, which didn't have a holodeck.
    [/Trekkie]
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Zachariah wrote:
    [Trekkie]
    No, if he went to Bones (McCoy) he'd have been on the original Enterprise NCC-1701, which didn't have a holodeck.
    [/Trekkie]

Ahem - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Practical_Joker
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Your sympathies are much appreciated guys. 'Bones' as a term for a doctor is one I have used since childhood when it frequently appeared in American war movies and westerns. It predates Star Trek by many years, and I believe has it's roots in the practices of Native American 'Witch Doctors' who would throw bones as part of thier diagnosis technique. Probably worked at least as well as western medicine in those days...

My Bones has told me to be more meticulous than usual in terms of washing and personal hygiene as he thinks that foreign matter on the pustules makes the irritation worse. I was anyway; it just feels like it needs washing more. Nobody told me I could squeeze the 'stules when they are ripe and crusted, and I am now rather looking forward to that activity, which I will perform in the shower where the mess can be easily washed away.

I have been prescribed antihistemine, and they are making a difference to the amount of bananas I am going, and an antiviral to prevent the development of Shingles, which I have been strongly advised not to get. Tbh, I'm not suffering horribly, just feeling unwell, as if someone has removed me from my insides and not quite put me back right. I just feel a bit woozy and out of sorts, and coughing a bit, but do not want to infect anyone else (actually there are some people I would love to infect). One of the reasons I am feeling a bit hard done by is that I did have chickenpox as a sprog; Bones says it can re-activate in later life and that I am lucky it has not re-activated as shingles.

And who is to say I am not actually having a holodeck experience involving a wierd fantasy in which I have chickenpox but will be eventually rescued by 7 of 9 who can only save me by performing the most perverse sexually deviant Borg relaxation techniques on me. Resistance is futile.

There you are; sympathy from the forum, bursting pustules, and 7 of 9; life is not so bad all of a sudden.......
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I always thought "bones" was a contraction of "sawbones".
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,153
    I feel for ya - I got it when I was 25 and it was torture. Seem to remember itching like hell, being utterly exhausted for part of the time/sleeping and being bored witless for the rest. Still have a few white marks from when I couldn't resist scratched a couple of those disgusting spots.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588

And who is to say I am not actually having a holodeck experience involving a wierd fantasy in which I have chickenpox but will be eventually rescued by 7 of 9 who can only save me by performing the most perverse sexually deviant Borg relaxation techniques on me. Resistance is futile.

There you are; sympathy from the forum, bursting pustules, and 7 of 9; life is not so bad all of a sudden.......

7 of 9 eh? Why I'd burst my pustules all over her... Oh... Oh... Oh... Ahhhhh...

Feel better dude.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sketchley wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:
    [Trekkie]
    [/Trekkie]

Ahem - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Practical_Joker

You have to be hard core to know that. And becauese the TAS (The animated series) is seen as hard canon it's hard to argue against, even if I don't think the TOS should have a holodeck.

Anyway, get well soon Confused Boy.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game