4th-8th May 2011 4 Day Dunkerque

deejay
deejay Posts: 3,138
edited May 2011 in Pro race
www.4joursdedunkerque.org/edition-parcours.phpy

No mention here about this race which at the moment is thumping up and down Mont Cassell on it's Queen Stage.
Lost some of it's importance because the UCI has brought the Giro to the first week of May.
Then remember that the Vuelta Espana would have just started 2 days after Liege.

3 stages completed and all won by the 22 year old sprinter (23 next week) German Marcel Kittel (Skil-Shimano)

Was a favourite of mine to trundle about the course on the bike.

Past winners have been Jacques Anquetil, Bernard Hinault, Stephen Roche,Vinokourov.

It was a race over 6 days but to save confusion with the Indoor Track season they named it 4 Days.
Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I was a little disappointed that every time I looked it was simply a bunch sprint won by the same guy.....

Credit to him for sure, especially a young rider but doesnt lead to exciting.

Stybar is riding and finding it very tough, although only his first race and am sure he will be good soon.

tumblr_lkszkcfLlq1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg

You would have thought Pozzato would try and make something of this given he is not riding the Giro due to lack of results...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Live here although I cannot get the feed to work well:

http://video-direct.france3.fr/player.php?id=1095
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Currently being shown live on French channel Direct 8 (Astra 19 free to air) or also on internet via FR3 here http://video-direct.france3.fr/player.php?id=1095
  • frenchfighter
    Elminger
    Getty
    77c4e94fe876434f4acea9643d47c705-getty-cycling-fra-four-days-dunkerque.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    hommelbier wrote:
    Currently being shown live on French channel Direct 8 (Astra 19 free to air) or also on internet via FR3 here http://video-direct.france3.fr/player.php?id=1095

They did a re-cap of the stages so far. 50kms to go.
    Recording this to watch later, as there isn't much cycling on to watch, these days!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    How strong is Voeckler!!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    This young rider out front has done well
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Haha nice STYBAR is in that front group
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Voeckler is Panache personified
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Damn he is lighting them up
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    53x11 Big Ring Riding
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Pure demonstration of strength. Excellent rider. Pure spectacle. Congratulations.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Lapping riders :shock:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    I was a little disappointed that every time I looked it was simply a bunch sprint won by the same guy.....

A new Cavendish perhaps.s

Might have known the winner today as he chased and passed the lone break rider.
    1st Thomas Voeckler in 4h 52min 50sec
    Sprint of 5 riders at 1min 43secs
    2nd Laurent Pichon
    3rd Zdedek Stybar
    4th Pierrick Fedrigo
    5th Thierry Hupond

GC the same three lead @ 00.00 - 1min 50sec - 1 min 52 sec followed by three more @ 1min 56sec

The triple stage, points leader Marcel Kittel came in at 54th and 11min 39secs down.
    He must have won the points comp with his 68 points to 2nd place of 29 points
    He may win tomorrow after the days tour of French Flanders and then the three circuits of Dunkerque Beach.
  • frenchfighter
    Getty
    610x.jpg
    x610.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hommelbier
    With less distance to go to the finish than the Giro, I'll watch this on Direct 8 for now Looks like Voeckler should have no problem getting the overall win. Small group of 4 away with just over ! minute on the peleton as the race is now on the Dunkerque circuit - 27km left.
  • hommelbier
    Vermotte (Q Step), Marycz (Saxobank), Engoulvent (Saur Sojasun) and Bazin (BigMat) still 32 sec over peloton with 13km left.
  • hommelbier
    edited May 2011
    Now on final circuit, lead now 15 sec with 6km left. Europcar leading the peloton but Kittel is well up and probably looking for a 4th stage win.
  • hommelbier
    Looks like we'll have to keep an eye out for young Marcel Kittel - made it look easy.
  • hommelbier
    Final GC

1: VOECKLER Thomas, 20h36'01" 00"
    2: PICHON Laurent at 01'50"
    3: STYBAR Zdenek at 01'52"

Skil Shimano's Marcel Kittel won four (out of five) stages and took the points jersey. Stybar must be pleased with his transition to the road.
  • frenchfighter
    Pretty ridiculous win tally but I have no idea what other 'sprinters' were there. Either way, many congratulations and definitely looks good for him if he can keep it up. That winning margin by Voeckler is also ridiculous!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hommelbier
    ...but I have no idea what other 'sprinters' were there.!

Yauheni Hutarovich and JJ Haedo (2nd and 9th today) are both fairly good sprinters on their day.
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks. Defo two quick guys.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    Getty

x610.jpg
    That's the easier climb to the village of Cassel and not so much rough Pave.

Glad to see someone else had an interest in the race.