carbon post?

bunter
bunter Posts: 327
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I am considering a carbon seatpost for my raleigh airlite 400 - bike fit has been checked by lbs but I still suffer from lower back pain on longer rides, meaning I have to stop frequently to stretch out. I don't expect a new seatpost to be a magic fix but hope that it might help smooth things out a bit.

Are carbon posts ok in alu frames? Do I need carbon paste or grease? and finally, does anyone have any experience with this easton post, which seems cheap atm?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11600

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You will get more benefit from running a wider rear tyre at a lower pressure if you think vibration is causing soreness.

I used to get lower back pain due to running too large a frame. Now that I can move my saddle to the correct fore/aft position it has magically disappeared.

And, to answer (some of) your questions, CFRP posts are fine in aluminium frames, they usually come with a tube of paste but grease is fine too.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    C12

(chemistry joke - IGMC)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If it's happening on longer rides, it could be a core strength issue. And I would still look at bike fit as a possible cause even if the lbs has checked it. I use an alu Thomson seatpost on long rides and it's fine. Do you feel as if you're over-reaching?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."