Degreasers..?

nax-ian
nax-ian Posts: 209
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Anybody use something off the supermarket shelf for the degreasing stage of chain cleaning?
Finished

Comments

• shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    No. I use fenwicks. Seems pretty good, but fairly expensive.
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    3 in 1 heavy duty citrus degreaser!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Finish Line Citrus degreaser.. smells awesome too...
  • nax-ian
    No, guys I mean some kinda household thing, not bike specific.
    Finished
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    yep, sunnex floor degreaser £5 a gallon.
    Just chuck my chain in the mop bucket when mopping the floor, mop swishs it round and cleans it, easy.
  • nax-ian
    That's the ticket!
    Finished
  • I use this stuff
    prodDetail1757.jpg
    99p a bottle and works a treat.
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    I use Lidl's Kitchen Degreaser. That stuff cuts through anything. I wash it off a lot in case it's bad for metal but I've not seen anything happening to suggest it is.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Petrol works for clean and derailleur cleaning, take them off, dunk them in and brush. Wait for them to dry and relube. White spirit also works well.
  • jamienorton
    jamienorton Posts: 182
    i just soak the chain in white spirit once every couple months, and just use a rag and white spirit on regular cleans, seems to find dirt on the sparkliest of chains.
  • I use paraffin. I ride motorbikes and the workshop has a paraffin heater in it so I've got tonnes around the place.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I was thinking of trying the Swarfega concentrated oil and grease remover. £5-7 for 2L. Anyone use that?
    Many happy trails!
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Cheap as Chips motorbike degreaser 8)
  • fridgehq
    fridgehq Posts: 54
    timpop wrote:
    I was thinking of trying the Swarfega concentrated oil and grease remover. £5-7 for 2L. Anyone use that?
    You mean this stuff I use it all the time pour a neat bit into a jam jar use a paintbrush or tooth brush to apply then rinse off job done http://www.screwfix.com/p/swarfega-oil- ... 5ltr/20817
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    http://www.scjohnson.co.uk/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=6023
    Mr Muscle Kitchen Lemon Fresh with Anti-Bacterial Action*

seems to work well but i dont leave it on long...... spray it on chain clean bike with car wash then give chain a quick wipe with a old rag and wash it off with hose pipe.

brings it up nice and clean.

PS dont tell the wife she thinks im cleaning kitchen :lol:
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I was an Elbow Grease user but now I'm a convert to the white spirit method, I have a large jam jar full of the stuff and I just drop my dirty chain in when I swap them over and leave it there till I need it - then rinse in soapy water then just water.

You can use it again and again too, the shit settles to the bottom so it easy to separate, its both the best and cheapest way I've found.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    fridgehq wrote:
    timpop wrote:
    You mean this stuff I use it all the time pour a neat bit into a jam jar use a paintbrush or tooth brush to apply then rinse off job done http://www.screwfix.com/p/swarfega-oil- ... 5ltr/20817

Yup, that's the stuff. Might have a go with that for a change.
    Many happy trails!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Paraffin or white spirit- paraffin's usually cheaper in a big bottle that'll last you for years.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    I'm a convert to Muc-off degreaser, my chain was clogged up with all kinds of crap but used it for the first time at the weekend. Sprayed the chain + cassette and left for 5 minutes then rinsed off with the hose, i was shocked at just how new everything looked.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?