Whats the best forks

RightGuard11
RightGuard11 Posts: 17
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi just got myself into mtb riding and brought my first bike .Its a trek3700 v brake version 2010 model and iam looking to buy some front forks but not sure witch ones to get budget £200 mainly ride to work and local parks so i was hoping you guys give me few links to wich forks to get thanks .

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    If you are not using it on rough surfaces, get a rigid fork.

but why do you need a new fork? for what you are describing the suntour fork should be fine.

I prefer rockshox forks, I have a recon u turn coil spring for XC riding.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • If you are not using it on rough surfaces, get a rigid fork.

but why do you need a new fork? for what you are describing the suntour fork should be fine.

I prefer rockshox forks, I have a recon u turn coil spring for XC riding.

Hi been reading alot off the net and on ere and i thought suntour fork are not very good.plus i would like to customize my bike or add some upgrade parts to it .sometimes i do hit some trails when iam out i was looking at these would you say they are ok as they have v brake mounts on them .

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Frame++Forks/Forks++Shocks/Marzocchi+Suspension+Forks/Marzocchi+22+R++22+LO_1636.htm
  • andrewjoseph
    marzocchi's are regarded as good forks, not had much experience with them myself.

I would think these are basic forks, perhaps not much better than what you have now.

I suggest you get out doing XC riding more, get a good feel of the forks you have and if they are holding you back then buy better. You will have a better idea of what you want, longer travel, shorter travel, etc.

Of course, if you have money burning a hole, then buy what you fancy. You don't need much justification to buy new kit, but just make sure you are getting what you need/want.

If you want to consider disk brakes in the future, get a fork that has disk brake mounts. This would be part of my priority.
    --
  • thanks for your info i forgot my trek is 2011 model not 2010 .i am thinkg off getting the 2011 rockshox tora tk forks .
  • andrewjoseph
    thanks for your info i forgot my trek is 2011 model not 2010 .i am thinkg off getting the 2011 rockshox tora tk forks .

Do these have disk brake mounts, v brake bosses, or both?

If you get disk only, you will have to get new hubs/wheels and brakes.
    --
  • I think they have both there a shop on ebay selling them at good price ive asked him if they have v brake mounts just wating for reply.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280669591935&category=36135&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I'd upgrade to disk brakes before a new fork RightGuard11, if your frame allows it. Then, in the future you still decide to upgrade your fork, there will be more choice avaliable to you.

As andrewjoseph says, try and find the limits of your fork until you upgrade. Then, once you feel that its holding back your riding, perhaps it will be time to upgrade.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If this is a brand new bike - either take it back and spend the money getting the model up or live with the spec for 2 or 3 years.

The current spec sounds absolutely fine for the job.
  • compo wrote:
    I'd upgrade to disk brakes before a new fork RightGuard11, if your frame allows it. Then, in the future you still decide to upgrade your fork, there will be more choice avaliable to you.

As andrewjoseph says, try and find the limits of your fork until you upgrade. Then, once you feel that its holding back your riding, perhaps it will be time to upgrade.

I was thinking about that upgrading my brakes.I asked my lbs and he said to upgrade my breaks i just need new rims i was looking at this disc break kit think this will be ok for my bike . http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Brakes/Disc+Brake+Kits/Pair+Mavic+Crossride+Wheels++Avid+Juicy+3+Disc+Brakes_2550.htm
  • diy wrote:
    If this is a brand new bike - either take it back and spend the money getting the model up or live with the spec for 2 or 3 years.

The current spec sounds absolutely fine for the job.

Its about 2 months old now and my lbs had the disc brake version in at extra £50 but i only had £350 to spend .but seen some off the mtb pics on this forum makes me wanna buy sum new parts :roll:
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    for what your using it for.. the forks you have will be fine..

If anything i'd upgrade to hydraulic disc brakes...

although, if I were you, take the bike back and put that extra £200 n to a new better specced bike..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are buying new forks, brakes and wheels, it may be best just to buy a new bike.

If you are going to upgrade, the forks is definitely the best place to start. Though for your riding I would get a rigid fork and save weight. I doubt you even need discs, Vs work fine for many.
  • Iam gonna go for these forks

link
  • andrewjoseph
    ok, now factor in the cost of your local bike shop fitting them. approx £30-£50.
    --
  • ok, now factor in the cost of your local bike shop fitting them. approx £30-£50.

Its ok i be happy when they are on my bike i know it be worth it :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or fit them yourself, costs nothing. Easy job.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Or fit them yourself, costs nothing. Easy job.

nah iam crap with stuff like that ill take it to my lbs .
  • supersonic
    That is a lot of money for that fork. This is the upgraded version, and same price:

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Suspension ... _2576.html

Fork fitting is about £25, but can be done at home.
  • supersonic wrote:
    That is a lot of money for that fork. This is the upgraded version, and same price:

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Suspension ... _2576.html

Fork fitting is about £25, but can be done at home.

I didnt notice that but i want black not white there shouldnt be much in the perfomance.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No it isn't the same. Note one is 302 and one 318.
    And WHS suggest the RRP of the newer model is £250, so the suggested value of the older model might be a bit of marketing fluff.
    Or to put it another way, I have a lovely pair of RS Judy's. Value £1gazillion. Yours for only £50k.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    There is a lot of difference. The damping circuit is significantly improved. Unfortunately white paint won't have the same effect.
  • just had make rockshox fitted otherday by lbs .but they couldnt fit the poplock anywere else expect next to my shifters witch i didnt like so today after ridin on my bike thought i take it off but it on my bars away from shifters.but know i snapped the bracket and i caint fix the poplock on my bars can i just take it off completey and not have it or as it got to be on .
  • supersonic
    You can remove it, but the lockout springs back. In this case you need to remove the damper and the spring in it.
  • supersonic wrote:
    You can remove it, but the lockout springs back. In this case you need to remove the damper and the spring in it.

what do you mean damper and spring .last night i took off the poplock but now i canit change the fork stiffness as the poplock is not there .
  • still caint change the fork stiffness the blue cap on top off the fork wont turn .
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    There's a guide in the FAQ here on Bikeradar. It'll involve removing the damping cartridge and disconnecting a spring inside it as Supersonic says.

Let someone else do it.
  • warpcow wrote:
    There's a guide in the FAQ here on Bikeradar. It'll involve removing the damping cartridge and disconnecting a spring inside it as Supersonic says.

Let someone else do it.

thanks will look into it if it tricky to do ill take it back to lbs.also if i do disconnect the spring will it still wrk will the fork always be on lockout or can i just leave my forks the way they are as they just feel soft do you have the link for it :roll:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it works just as the friction version would have done.

to remove the poplock lever you need to remove all the other parts off the bars first. same as fitting.

Look in the FAQs it aint hard to find.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown