Thule Towbar Bike Carrier

Stu 74
Stu 74 Posts: 463
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Just bought a Thule Euroway G2 921 bike carrier....

http://www.thuleonline.co.uk/product/239-57/Thule-Euroway-G2-921--2-Bike-Carrier

Carrier looks good and seems robust but when I put both my bikes on it (Marin Wolf Ridge 2008 and Kona Blast 2008) the forks of the Kona are touching the chainstays of the Marin or the vice versa. In other words the bikes will rub against each other :(

I was hoping that Thule would have designed their carriers in such a way so that a couple of modern mountain bikes would be adequately spaced from each other :?

I know I can always stick a bit of foam between the bikes but was hoping to minimize faffing about.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

It looks like there may be some potential to move the wheel holders closest to the car in towards the car. However I don't think it is part of the carrier's design for the wheel holders to be moved in that direction (due to the fact that there are plastic spacers in the way.)

Anyone tried this?

Cheers

Stu

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I have the 3 bike version of the Thule Euroclassic and can mount a GT Force, Avalanche and Evil SOV without problem. The only items I need to adjust are the seatpost heights so the saddles doesn't get in the way of the handlebars of the other bikes. You have a certain amount of overlap otherwise you'd have a bike rack over 5 feet long sticking out off your towbar.
    I would assume the the wheel tracks are fixed so you won't be able to move them. Have you set the rack up so that it is level with the ground and not tipped back to towards the car stopping the bikes from sitting upright causing them to lean?
  • 3konaowner
    3konaowner Posts: 2
    I've got the same carrier Stu and had the same problem. I solved it by extending the longer of the two top bars by roughly 10-15mm and now they miss each other perfectly.
    All I did was buy a longer top bar from a 3 bike carrier from ebay for a fiver then shorten the threaded bar (local engineering company + price of a pint) and outer sleeve accordingly by just enough so that they don't rub. If you don't shorten the bar the bike will hang at a horrible angle and I guess could cause the tyres to slip out of the rails.
    Good luck
    Andy
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Many thanks for the replies.

Andy, that sounds like a good solution. I will look into it. :D

Cheers

Stu
  • 3konaowner
    3konaowner Posts: 2
    Stu
    I said in first post 10-15mm, I meant 10-15cm :oops:
    Worked a treat though
    Andy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thinking about getting a Thule towbar carrier myself, but have to say I've seen loads of people with them using foam all over the place.
  • I gave up on mine, too heavy for me to lug about and too much of a faff to get the bikes on - I usually have to end up taking the lot off and trying it a different way... depending on whos bike I'm carrying etc. On a positive, it is very flexible and has been able to carry all the bikes i've tried to put on it - unlike my old saris bones!
  • Obs1dian
    Obs1dian Posts: 88
    I've got one of the more basic Thule tow-bar mounted carriers for 2 bikes. This one in fact:

http://www.towequipe.co.uk/products/950200-thule-9502-towbar-2-cycle-bike-carrier-tilt-rack-%289402%29.html

I generally only need to make adjustments to the seatpost height of the bikes and sometimes rotate the cranks. I've not had to use foam at all.

Just thought I'd put a positive note in there as I've had a very good experience with it and it is also very secure compared to 'normal' car mounted bike racks.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Obs1dian wrote:
    I've got one of the more basic Thule tow-bar mounted carriers for 2 bikes. This one in fact:

http://www.towequipe.co.uk/products/950200-thule-9502-towbar-2-cycle-bike-carrier-tilt-rack-%289402%29.html

I generally only need to make adjustments to the seatpost height of the bikes and sometimes rotate the cranks. I've not had to use foam at all.

Just thought I'd put a positive note in there as I've had a very good experience with it and it is also very secure compared to 'normal' car mounted bike racks.

another happy user of this although mines a 3 bike version fits all bike I have put on with no rubbing just have to drop seats
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    How much faff is it to stick a glove or piece of foam between the bikes? Honestly? 5-10 seconds added to the job?

It isn't going to be perfect as carting bikes around outside a car isn't a perfect solution, so save yourself the wasted effort and time and just wrap your glove round the bit that is going to rub and put the next bike on...
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Chucking the bike in the back of the car is easiest for me, but the car is getting filthy and scratched inside, and it's not good for carrying more than one passenger. Not to mention if you stick multiple bikes inside you still need to make sure they're not going to bash into each other.

The hassle of a tow bar plus the risk of being followed home by a thief is what puts me off getting one, but it would be neater and keep the car clean.
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    I chuck mine in the car...or if going with a mate, they both go in the car...we sit in the front...if I've got more to carry, then I've got roofbars...but that wasn't the issue the OP had...he was concerned about the bikes touching each other on the towball mounted rack...my response is to ask if it really is any more effort/hassle to stick a glove or padding between the 2 bikes when it only adds an extra few seconds to the job...

Getting followed home would be good fun - but only because no-one does this to me now...I'm sure if it were to happen I'd be a bit mroe nervous than I am about the thought of it. Saying that, if you have that level of paranoia then keep the bike(s) in the car and covered and accept that fact only you and a mate can use your car as it won't matter if the bikes are on the roof or towball - they will still be visible.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Can you not get dedicated foam protectors that seem to fit onto the rack between the bikes.Not sure where i saw them but think it was Thule ??
  • Obs1dian
    Obs1dian Posts: 88
    How about some booties to stop chain stays rubbing against forks? :)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13364