Going to the toilet

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2011 in Pro race
What do pro cyclists do if they need to go to the toilet 1's and 2's when they're on a endurance race?

Even worse if it's indoors. :shock: although going pee would be great way of making others have a crash giving you a bigger lead time. And a bit messy for number two :shock:
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    1. They go. They just try not to show it on TV
    2. They hold it in
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    I remember in the olympics they showed coverage of loads of the woman in the road race jumping off their bikes and squatting in the central reservation
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    P_Tucker wrote:
    2. They hold it in

Helmets make this tricky, but a casquette used to make a handy receptacle
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    P_Tucker wrote:
    2. They hold it in

Bib shorts complicate matters too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    P_Tucker wrote:
    2. They sometimes manage to hold it in

Fixed that for ya

boonen.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • I believe the powers that be are trialling this for use in non-UCI sanctioned races at the moment....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IrlhLF1c3k
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    2. They hold it in

My mate was in the commisaire's car some years ago on the Wincanton Classic. Apparently he has a ringside seat as Robert Millar took a dump in his casquette -neat as you like. Then disposed of it in a nearby bush.
  • stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    LangerDan wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Fixed that for ya

boonen.jpg

at least its not like this guy.......

shitmotivation.jpg

:oops:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    For what it's worth - the peloton during the earlier parts of the day will more or less agree to go all pee at the same time and you get about 40 guys standing by the road side peeing.

If it's a little later you might have to get a teammate or friend in the peloton to push you while you pee.

Else you p!ss your pants if you can't hold it in.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    I'm pretty sure, that Malc Elliott was having a pee during the final stage of the ToB/Milk Race he won. He was being pushed along the course by Timmis, whilst hitching the leg of his shorts up, to let hose pipe was out!
    Quite a few times the bunch is shown on Eurosport, stopping to water the verge.
    natural-break.jpg
    The CA guy looks like he may be worried about needing to do something more!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    You can't quite see, but the grass in front of the Saunier Duval is all dead.

"1. They go. They just try not to show it on TV "

They often fail. In MSR this year they showed a guy from the front, having a whizz, for about 10 seconds before the director noticed.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    There is a great picture of half the peloton stopping for a pee above the mens urinals at the Tour Of Flanders museum in Oudenarde.

Normally we only see the last hour or so of stages so don't see it, but when the TV shows more of the race (like during the worlds) you often see them lined up by the road relieving themselves.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's a big thing during the Flanders sportive.

All over the news on the day before the sportive the police are out telling people that wildplassen (literally 'wild' peeing - i.e. not peeing in a toilet or urinal) was strictly forbidden and it would be enforced.

You then get loads of locals on the news moaning about how their roads and gardens smelled of p!ss the year before.
  • aac
    aac Posts: 12
    Noticed on Stage 1 of the Giro on Sunday, around 68-69km to go - the camera was focused on Contador but drifting into shot in the background was a rider getting a helpful push by his team mate as he did a wee on the go. Can't be easy with bibshorts.
  • Chrissylaa
    Chrissylaa Posts: 19
    stardude wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Fixed that for ya

boonen.jpg

at least its not like this guy.......

shitmotivation.jpg

:oops:

AG2R strip is now making sense.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Apparantly, in the days before helmets, one of the team leaders asked a domestique from his team to lend him his cap. He then curled one out into the cap and handed it back!!
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    An American friend of mine used to send of to France for unedited videos of the Tour de France before there was tv coverage in the States. He recalled seeing the state of Greg Lemond's shorts during one stage as he was suffering from a stomach bug. The videos showed the view from the following motorbikes and a lot of things which would have been deemed unsavoury for broadcast.