Advice needed - hernia recovery

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 61,145
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Folks,

I've been off the bike for the last few weeks after being diagnosed with a hernia (smallish one thankfully but still a bit painful from time to time). I'm going in for the op in a couple of weeks but am already going cold turkey due to lack of bikes and exercise :evil: so am gagging to get back to riding as soon as it's safe.

Would be interested to hear of from anyone who's had one of these on things - like how long it took after the op to get back in the saddle, what you did to help recovery etc etc. The docs can only offer general advice so I'm after some real life experiences.

Any words of wisdom much appreciated :)

Steve.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Hi Steve
    There's two main types of operation , keyhole surgery (small/no scar) or 'traditional' (bigger scar - but normally glued these days to avoid stitch marks)

I had the traditional type of op 3 years ago.
    Stayed in overnight, then sent home foillowing day.

Off work for following week until stitches came out, although able to work from home part time. v.little pain & that was sorted by paracetemol.

I was encouraged to walk 30-60 mins each day. for 2 weeks Wasn't given any other advice about rehabilitation other than being told l 'try to avoid coughing or hiccuping violently' (to avoid straiining the internal stitches)

I think I was allowed back on bike 2 weeks after op, only problem was it was then mid-December , so I left it until after New Year

Hope that Helps
    Mike
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Out of interest, what were you're symptoms? Did you have the obvious bulge?

I've been suffering from groin and ab issues a bit lately, most likely just a strain in my case, but I'm going to force myself of the bike for a short while as it's not going away. :?
  • Stevo_666
    Mikelyons wrote:
    Hi Steve
    There's two main types of operation , keyhole surgery (small/no scar) or 'traditional' (bigger scar - but normally glued these days to avoid stitch marks)

I had the traditional type of op 3 years ago.
    Stayed in overnight, then sent home foillowing day.

Off work for following week until stitches came out, although able to work from home part time. v.little pain & that was sorted by paracetemol.

I was encouraged to walk 30-60 mins each day. for 2 weeks Wasn't given any other advice about rehabilitation other than being told l 'try to avoid coughing or hiccuping violently' (to avoid straiining the internal stitches)

I think I was allowed back on bike 2 weeks after op, only problem was it was then mid-December , so I left it until after New Year

Hope that Helps
    Mike
    Thanks Mike, I've been given the choice of traditional or keyhole and can decide on the day but am veering towards keyhole as the idea of a big incision so close to my vitals is a bit offputting ! Also an anaesthetist friend of mine tells me there's less chance of post op pain.

They mentioned about walking and swimming as part of the recovery, but it's good to hear you were OK to ride after only 2 weeks :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    nich wrote:
    Out of interest, what were you're symptoms? Did you have the obvious bulge?

I've been suffering from groin and ab issues a bit lately, most likely just a strain in my case, but I'm going to force myself of the bike for a short while as it's not going away. :?
    The main symptom is a hot/sharp type pain in ther groin area slighty above and to one side of my 'best friend'. Also can feel as if my groin mucle has seized up just after I stand up after being sat for a while. First noticed it on a commute in last month and I thought I had strained a muscle but then a couple of days later noticed a small bulge in the same place as the pain was - not particularly large or noticeable as I think mine is a relatively minor hernia. The pain is usually caused when I'm moving about and usually more discomfort than screaming pain as long as I'm careful how I move. Mind you, not being able to exercise is doing my head in :evil:

Might be worth getting yours checked just in case. We blokes often put off going to the doc but I'm glad I went sooner rather than later.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    The delay meant that I finished up with 13 staples and a 6" incision. I must admit, I delayed getting back on the bike for about 3+ weeks, so keyhole if poss.

Recovery slightly delayed when, after about a week, I pottered into Bradford on t'bus and went into Waterstones. Feeling comfortable, I reached up onto top shelf (no twinges) and then sneezed biolently and without warning. :shock:

The finger shaped dents in the wood are still there
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Stevo_666
    The delay meant that I finished up with 13 staples and a 6" incision. I must admit, I delayed getting back on the bike for about 3+ weeks, so keyhole if poss.

Recovery slightly delayed when, after about a week, I pottered into Bradford on t'bus and went into Waterstones. Feeling comfortable, I reached up onto top shelf (no twinges) and then sneezed biolently and without warning. :shock:

The finger shaped dents in the wood are still there
    Too right - if I feel a sneeze coming on, I clamp my nose shut until the feeling goes - it is bl00dy painful :shock:
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Sounds like you have what is known as an Inguinal Hernia, which is to be found in the groin near the "old chap". I discovered mine one day as a small squidgy lump and had it checked that day. I don't know how long it had been there and in all the time I knew about it, it never actually troubled me or hurt. I had traditional surgery 16 months ago and now fully recovered.

In my own experience I can't say the first 3 weeks or so were particularly pleasant, however, within 6 weeks I was back on my bike again. Now, I ride road and mountain like it never happened. For those few weeks I just had to accept there was no way I was going to the gym or for a ride, so just read books, caught up with lots of DVD's and did not miss work too much.

Most important tip... After surgery, if you ever feel like coughing, don't. If you are going to sneeze do anything you can, not to !

Such hernias are supposed to be quite common and a good GP and the consultant should be able to tell you all you want to know and even what you don't want to know...:shock: I also Googled a lot of information, which I found helpful.

Like I say, I went traditional. This meant a 3 inch incision, which you can't see anymore and the muscle wall was thoroughly stitched and meshed, for added strength. For the first few months it felt like a Cornish Pasty under the skin but that has also gone. Though, I wish never, ever to have another hernia or remidial surgery again the reality is I'm completely recovered now and the hernia is just a fading memory.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Stevo_666
    Yep, its an inguinal hernia. Got the op in just under 2 weeks, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the advice folks.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I had one just over a year ago. Inguinal. Traditional surgery. advised to stay off the bike for 3 weeks by my GP but the surgeon said ok to get on the bike on a turbo trainer after a week to 10 days as long as i took it easy. I did and no problems. But i did take it very easy.

I should say i was advised to work on my core to prevent the risk of further hernias in the future and to introduce more roughage into my diet! Apparently straining on the loo is a frequent cause of hernias. I am not too sure i would have wanted to strain post op either given my vivid recollection of a coughing fit a week or so after the operation.

I do a lot of core exercises know using a large gym ball for support. Worth thinking about or at least asking your gp about. All is fine now.
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    Husband had this op just after Christmas this year and was cycling within 2 weeks. Was out the same day from private hospital - though he said he'd felt better before and they'd kept him in!
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • Stevo_666
    bobinski wrote:
    I should say i was advised to work on my core to prevent the risk of further hernias in the future and to introduce more roughage into my diet! Apparently straining on the loo is a frequent cause of hernias. I am not too sure i would have wanted to strain post op either given my vivid recollection of a coughing fit a week or so after the operation.

I do a lot of core exercises know using a large gym ball for support. Worth thinking about or at least asking your gp about. All is fine now.
    Funny as I thought my core strength was pretty good - I do plenty of sit up etc. But you never know I suppose. Will definitely take it easy post op and may leave it an extra week just to be sure...
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I had one last year. Thought I'd discovered a new muscle until my GP pointing out what it was. I had keyhole surgery Wednesday afternoon and was discharged Thursday morning. I was back at work in 3 days and back on my bike in 10 days.
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    bobinski wrote:

Funny as I thought my core strength was pretty good - I do plenty of sit up etc. But you never know I suppose. Will definitely take it easy post op and may leave it an extra week just to be sure...

Don't just do sit ups (crunchs are kinder on the spine and just as effective) The TVA, obliques etc are more important than the abs in the realms of pelvic stability and muscle function. Planks, side plank, leg raises and one legged extensions are all good exercises. Make sure you back stays neutral in the exercises as its easy to do the exercises and 'cheat' using other muscles. As mentioned gym balls add good variety to core strength too.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • Stevo_666
    d87heaven wrote:
    Don't just do sit ups (crunchs are kinder on the spine and just as effective) The TVA, obliques etc are more important than the abs in the realms of pelvic stability and muscle function. Planks, side plank, leg raises and one legged extensions are all good exercises. Make sure you back stays neutral in the exercises as its easy to do the exercises and 'cheat' using other muscles. As mentioned gym balls add good variety to core strength too.
    D87, I think you're giving me exactly the sort of advice I need as I often do sit-up, press ups push up etc at home. I just don't understand the terms you're using :oops: Can you explain in words of 1 or 2 syllables for me what TVA's obliques, planks/side planks are? Thanks :)

PS: am hoping to do sit ups again when fully healed - presumably this isn't a daft idea as long as I wait long enough post op?
  • Stevo_666
    hstiles wrote:
    I had one last year. Thought I'd discovered a new muscle until my GP pointing out what it was. I had keyhole surgery Wednesday afternoon and was discharged Thursday morning. I was back at work in 3 days and back on my bike in 10 days.
    Good to hear it thanks - I am going for keyhole as I was advised that the recovery time and post op pain can be less. My main regret now is arranging the op on a weekend rather than in work time :P
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    I had an umbilical hernia last year - had an odd lump for several months but once it started to hurt I finally got nagged into going to the doctor. I had stitches in the muscles and glue on the skin (theoretically to reduce scarring but can't say I'm impressed with a scar that's 5mm wide).

I was back on the bike for short rides of 5 miles or so within two weeks and back up to doing training (hard laps of RP etc) a month later.

I was told by the surgeon that you can't actually burst your stitches (well, this is extremely unlikely) but if you do more than you should, it'll hurt like hell. and boy did it. The week afterwards was really sore, even for walking to / from the station to get to work reduced me to a tearful mess. So I'd plan on working from home for a week if you can.
  • Stevo_666
    Hi Livs,

They advised me that I'd need to do 1-2 weeks working at home as I'm a desk jockey and can work remotely if needed. I'm prepared to wait a bit longer before doing anything strenuous if I can then safely go back to doing bike-wise and exercise-wise.

BTW - if it was a 5mm scar I'd be dead chuffred - did you mean 5cm??
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Hi Livs,

They advised me that I'd need to do 1-2 weeks working at home as I'm a desk jockey and can work remotely if needed. I'm prepared to wait a bit longer before doing anything strenuous if I can then safely go back to doing bike-wise and exercise-wise.

BTW - if it was a 5mm scar I'd be dead chuffred - did you mean 5cm??

I wish I'd been told that! I can work from home (with advance notice and permission) but the surgeon had implied I'd be absolutely fine so I had meetings and all sorts that meant I had to be at work. UG. Not advised.

5mm wide, about 3cm long. Pretty small, by hernia standards. I just didn't expect it to spread like that (it was a tiny 1mm mark when first done).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've had a small hernia ever since I had a major abdominal surgery (32 stitches from an inch above my belly button all the way to seriously unnerving - about 8" for those worried when they can measure it in mm) 24 years ago (too small to be worth operating on I'm told), it only hurts occasionally (heavy sneezes or very heavy lifting - especially if I start to overbalance backwards!) never when cycling, so would have thought you could get on the bike quite quickly as long as you keep it sensible.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Stevo_666
    Holy thread resurrection Batman :wink:

I got out on the bike for the first time since the op yesterday and it felt frikkin' goooood :) Nothing hurts this morning apart from my legs, so I reckon I'm fully repaired now. I pobably could have started a week ago but decided to play it safe as the thought of a relapse bring me out in a cold sweat. Time to start commuting next week for the first time since mid-April...at least until I finish work next month 8)

Thanks for all the advice people !
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Good one, take it easy though!
  • Stevo_666
    nich wrote:
    Good one, take it easy though!
    Not much choice mate, I'm way out of shape after 9-10 weeks off !
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Hurrah! Glad all went well. Back just in time for summer :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Stevo_666
    JonGinge wrote:
    Hurrah! Glad all went well. Back just in time for summer :D
    Thanks JG, just in time for the heatwave 8) I have been a bit quiet here as I haven't been commuting lately.

Though like I hinted before, I'm taking a year off work so my commutie bike will have to become a roadie bike (of sorts - yeah, I know it's a hybrid :P ) and I'll just have to ride around in circles near Beckenham for the fun of it - or maybe a trip or 2 to the Morpeth - not been for yonks.