Touring Bike Build

jimmiboy
jimmiboy Posts: 18
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
I am after some advice, I have just bought a Surly LHT 26" wheel frame and forks.

I will be using it for general lugging shopping plus small tours using canals paths etc

Can anyone recommend a good allround wheel set for £200 max

Comments

• mjcaskey
    mjcaskey Posts: 94
    You could consider Mavic XC 717 rims on hubs of your choice. I have used them for many years with no problem.

Here is a link to some the look to be disc or rim brake compatible. Nothing to do with me.

Good luck

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAVIC-XC717-SSC-5 ... 515wt_1139
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    Spa Cycles have a good range and reputation for wheel builds. You probably wouldn't need the sturdier Sputnik rims, and would be ok with the Snyper rims.
  • Merlin cycles are good value for handbuilt 26" wheels eg: LX hubs and 717 rims are £144 a pair I think they'll only do 32 hole wheels but I'm happy with them (also on a long haul trucker!). Spa handbuilt wheels are very good too, I have a 700c pair from them and they were very well made.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Getting fed up of posting this on here people are going to think I work for them. (I dont)

Prolite Comos Only 90 quid with a slight aero section . I tour and commute on them on my Kaffenbach. I m 14 stone and fully laden riding C2C way of the roses including the off road Clapham tunnel section they did not move an inch.

There handbuilt and reckoned to have three times the tensile strength in their spokes
    My experiences would validate this.

They are that good all rounders I use them on My Planet X Pro Carbon Sl as training wheels and only swap them out for race day as I cant be arsed to change the tyres and cassette.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    REVISION. Sorry are you looking for 26 inch rims. Obviously the Comos are 700c?