Will Alberto Contador win a stage?

Will.C
Will.C Posts: 245
edited May 2011 in Pro race
So, still everything to play for but he is the fave in this years Giro.

Do you think he'll actually win a stage this time? He's won 2 grand tours and not won a single stage before(2008 Giro/2010 Tour)

No doubt he's an enjoyable climber to watch but I always feel a bit cheated when when the overall winner of a GT doesn't get a single stage win.

Thoughts?

(Edit)Fixed for P_Tucker

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Dopador? Brilliant! How did you come up with that?
  • Will.C
    P_Tucker wrote:

Sorry you obviously didn't understand the question, bless. I meant thoughts on the post, not the title but excellent contribution.
  • P_Tucker
    Will.C wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Sorry you obviously didn't understand the question, bless. I meant thoughts on the post, not the title but excellent contribution.

Thank you. I also have a response to your request for "Thoughts?"

- Shall I mow the lawn?
    - I like spaghetti
    - Dopador? Brilliant! How did you come up with that?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    P_Tucker wrote:

I think it's a mixture of the words, "dope" and "Contador".
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • P_Tucker
    pottssteve wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

So it is! Amazing stuff! That guy should write for NASA.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    NASA? I think he should concentrate on passing his GCSEs first.
  • Will.C
    edited May 2011
    P_Tucker wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Yes because NASA is well known for it's literature.

Has anyone actually got anything constructive to add to the thread or are you just going to proceed to make jokes about my light hearted quip about contador being under investigation for doping?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Will C, maybe it's just me, but when poster starts using names like Dopador, Contadope, Pharmstrong. McQuack, McFraud, Verdruggen etc, I tend to not take anything they then say seriously, as it just seems a little juvenile.

But maybe it's just me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • P_Tucker
    Will.C wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Yes because NASA is well known for it's literature.

thats_the_joke.jpg
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    This thread rocks.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Lots of opportunity for taking stages in this giro with the uphill TT and plenty of summit finishes. Contador isnt the fastest finisher so if he comes towards the line with a small group he isnt likely to take the win. He will have to go solo which he is more than capable of.

Regardless of whether he bags, one, two or not, it will be a great Giro and he will ride like a Champion.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He has a nice new frame with the triple crown on a white background.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm becoming concerned the route is so hard, there will be a lot of conservative riding and we'll have a bit of a dud Giro. Certainly anyone who does anything before week 3 is adopting a very risky strategy.

In theory, if he's in shape, Contador should win a stage.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    The TTT isn't going to split to contenders and huge time gains in the final ITT are unlikely.
    Therefore Contador will have to ride the mountains more aggressively than in 2008, if he is to win.
    I think the stage 16 mountain trial has his name written on it, plus one or more from stages 9 and the Dolomites.

While I don't think Monte Crostis will kick off at all, I still feel the rest of the race will be too hard to control and deliver the goods.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I can see him winning a few..........I too am worried that with such a tough parcours that the racing will be very conservative.

Then again last years route was pretty tough, and it was exactly ridden in cafe ride style!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I think because of the difficulty of the course the serious GC peeps will not look for stage wins, just concern themselves with survival. The mountain stages are more likely to go to good climbers that target them without being a direct threat to the GC. Having said that Stage 16 looks tailor made for Bertie, and I'd expect him to win that and maybe one other high mountain stage.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Giro has time bonuses so in theory he needs to win, rather than gifting a stage to someone else.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I'd rather he didn't win any stages so the true (hopefully) stage winners get to stand on the podium. So the more boring his tactics are the better as far as I'm concerned.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yes, he'll win a stage, absolutely.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    RichN95 wrote:
    Will C, maybe it's just me, but when poster starts using names like Dopador, Contadope, Pharmstrong. McQuack, McFraud, Verdruggen etc, I tend to not take anything they then say seriously, as it just seems a little juvenile.

But maybe it's just me.

+1

And no, it's not just you.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    edited May 2011
    Whether or not he wins a stage he will affect the outcome of the race ... And handing it over to the second place rider doesn't really say who would have won without AC as the dynamics would have changed ...

I'd like to see the rest of the favourites just ignore anything he does and ride the race amongst themselves ... Leaving him to go 10 minutes clear if he wants ... Even if acquitted the statement of riders refusing to race him would be a strong one in the history books ... Sadly there are too many 2nd teir favourites in teams needing wins (Geox, Astana, Lampre) for that to happen ...
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Yep... I think [juvenilealert]Contodour[/juvenilealert] will win a stage - maybe even more. I'm sure there'll be plenty doing PTP who'll be picking him for stage wins too.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    he'll win the zoncolan
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    No. The GC riders wil ride conservatively and the horrendous mountain stages will be won by the 7 stone freaks who will lose an hour the next day.