In Cardiff - want a biking buddy!

JimboBrennan
JimboBrennan Posts: 21
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Moved to Cardiff a few months ago, getting back into my biking after about 10 years without even owning one!

I originally got a Carrera Kraken from Halfords through Cycle 2 Work... must have been a nice bike as someone decided they wanted it, and left me walking home from work carrying my helmet and half a bike lock :roll:

Luckily, the insurance came through in a big way and I'm now on a Specialized Hard Rock Pro, love it to bits, been out with my brother on the red trails on Cannock Chase, but he lives up that way and is only down visiting every so often... so I'd like to meet up with some folks down this way who don't mind a relative newbie tagging along, and keeping an eye on me for a while!

Desperate to get up to Cwmcarn and Afan, or anywhere else that anyone can recommend! I'm currently living on the edge of Cathays/Roath, I have a cheapy Halfords bike rack that will fit a couple of bikes for transporting, and if you're willing to help I will happily buy a pint or two as reimbursement for your trouble...

Comments

• clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    There's a thread over in rides for folk based in South Wales :
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... start=1560

Riding with people deffo helps, surprised at what I've managed in the last few weeks just by riding with a mate even though I'm a wheezy unfit asthmatic. The blokes in yon thread all seem pretty friendly so you should be sorted.

I've also found most people out and about to be friendly and helpful enough if you do run into trouble. Cwmcarn is ace, but there's a rocky downhill near the end that's caught me out both times on my hardrock (though I've got the bog standard one).

Edit : As for Cardiff itself I know of sod all except for the Taff Trail TBH. I've seen what look like rideable trails over Culverhouse Cross way, but not been over there to find out as of yet.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • cjones109
    cjones109 Posts: 23
    If you head up the taff trail and go off in Tongwynlais up the hill towards Castell Coch, you can head towards rudry over the mountains. There's plenty of nice trails and you can end up at Llwyn Hir forestry which is pretty good. Just explore really. Let me know if you want some more info/have any idea how I could map out a tidy route for you. I won't be back in Cardiff with the bike until September which is a shame.
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    That would be very much appreciated mate. This site is not half bad :

http://classic.mapmyride.com/
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • plodtv
    plodtv Posts: 40
    There's plenty above Cardiff in the hills behind, I believe there's a mountain bike club/ride that goes from tongwynlais (bottom of castle coch) on a Wednesday i think, it's a quick jaunt up the taff trail. There's also Castle Bikes in Caerphilly, they go out for regular rides on Mondays and Thursdays.

HTH
  • cjones109
    cjones109 Posts: 23
    Just head up the taff trail then follow the route: http://classic.mapmyride.com/route/gb/c ... 2231097093 Not an exact route as It's pretty difficult to put every little trail on, but using this you should have a good idea. There's quite a lot to do once you get to llwyn hir too, just a shame I can't head out too! Let me know how you get on - it's a fair old trek as a round trip!
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    I'm just starting to get back into biking after many years away. I live in cathays so drop me a pm if you're heading out. I know there are a few lads that go out regularly. just chek out the south wales rides post in the rides section.
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • JDawg_1989
    JDawg_1989 Posts: 18
    There is loads of good local places around Cardiff.

Not sure how good your endurance is, but you could head up he Taff Trail and then up over The Garth Mountain, there is some excellent trails in the woods.

Brilliant for a local Raz on a weeknight!

If you have a car there is also Llantrisant Woods (Smilog) that has a really good trial.

I recommend getting over to Cwmcarn! You will love it!
  • cheers guys! I'm looking forward to Cwmcarn, and the stuff up past Castell Coch looks good, didn't even know about it! Will get over and post on the South Wales rides now...