Serviced hubs and not sure what's wrong

t0pc4t
t0pc4t Posts: 947
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I think I did something stupid when I serviced the hubs on my cube. I have shimano cup and cone hubs with deore m445 discs.

I recently serviced the hubs following the guide on park tools, so changed the ball bearings, cleaned it out and regreased. I also put new superstar pads in.

I adjusted the cup and cone according to park tools by putting the wheels in the nds chainstay and adjusting so there was play side to side with the QR half open and none with it closed.

The rear seems fine but there is movement in the front. It spins freely and there is no side to side play but with the front brake on fully I can rock the wheel back and forth. It is only about 5 degrees but that doesn't feel right to me. I can see the brake disc isn't moving when I do this.

From this (probably far too vague) description can anyone suggest what I might check? Could it be play in the hubs? The headset maybe? I had the horrible suspension fork replaced with a kona project 2 last year by my lbs. Now impending fatherhood means I have to take a more hands on approach to maintenance
Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    spline fitting for the rotors?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Pads moving in calipers...
  • t0pc4t
    Yeah it's a spline fitting. Do you think the collar could be loose?
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I just had similar problem to this, my centrelock nut needed tightening.
  • t0pc4t
    thanks all, seemed to be the centrelock

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6