90 miler tomorrow. But which bike??

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Should I take the Cannondale, the old bike...I know the riding position is spot on but it has really heavy wheels (which are making a disconcerting noise).

Or should I take the new TCR which I've never rode before, but is just lovely?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Should I take the Cannondale, the old bike...I know the riding position is spot on but it has really heavy wheels (which are making a disconcerting noise).

Take the new one - you know you want to :wink:
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172

1. measure bb to saddle surface along the seat tube of the C'dale, and set the TCR's saddle height to match.

2. Do a rough plumbline measurement of how far the nose of the saddle on the C'dale is behind the BB, and match that on the TCR.

3. try to match the drop and horizontal distance from saddle to hand contact points on the C'dale to the TCR.

4. Use the TCR.

It's all about the contact points...

Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Just ride the new one and stop every 2 miles to make an adjustment
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    New bike.
    New bike new bike new bike new bike new bike !

(maybe swap the saddle over...)
    Misguided Idealist
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    new is never wrong (just remember the multitool)
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    A good test for the new TCR, just be prepared to make adjustments if necessary and following what Greg said you should be fine, enjoy the ride! :)
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • tailwindhome
    Take the new one - you know you want to :wink:

Of course I do
    Just ride the new one and stop every 2 miles to make an adjustment

See the thing is I don't really want to be going at it with a multitool at the side of the road

It is carbon fibre, don't you know?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Just sell the new one to me for a fiver and keep the old one, seriously take the new one otherwise what was the point of gettig it. Then you can plan the next new bike and so on
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    90 miles !!!, which bike ?. For me obvious - motor. :wink:
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Swap wheels
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Looks like rain - so the old bike. I have the same dilemma, but only 60 miles.
  • tailwindhome
    New bike it is.

Got the adjustments made as per Greg's advice.

Saddle height felt wrong so it has been lowered at bit.

Its going to the LBS next week to get the chainset swapped over to a compact...I'm fairly sure I'll get them to flip the stem
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Mud guards?

You know CF melts in rain don't you? :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    itboffin wrote:
    Mud guards?

You know CF melts in rain don't you? :twisted:

Fixed that for you
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    So, what was the verdict?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    Greg66 wrote:
    So, what was the verdict?

Went with the new bike.

The position was spot on, very comfortable. Only one hairy moment, I hadn't tightened the seat post clamp enough as I was scared to overtighten it and it dropped by a couple of inches half way up the first climb.

It really is a fabulous bike. I can't believe the difference between Alu and carbon fibre in overall comfort, it really soaks up the road 'buzz'.

I might not even bother flipping the stem