3 hours to learn....

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited May 2011 in MTB general
as a birthday gift, the wife has purchased me a 3 hour 1-2-1 session with a bike mechanic. Time is obviously of the essence, but wondering what people think would be most useful.

I am a complete div when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm ok with chains, tyres, pads but other than that, the bicycle is a mystery.

I am thinking about learning to set up gears.

what else would be feasible to learn in the time? Am thinking of avoiding headsets...other than that, what do you think would be most useful?

:?

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Indexing gears & servicing/setup of hydro brakes seem to be common areas of difficulty.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    Set gears up from scratch, i.e. pull cables out and set up / index.

Balence your brakes / bleed if you have time.

Shock / fork setup.

What should you lube / oil / clean and time scales.

That should do it
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    You'll pick up gear indexing pretty quickly. So I'd go with gears/bleeding hydro's and basic wheel truing/tensioning spokes etc...Take a look at bearings if you get time.
  • ThePriory1978
    ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
    The world of suspension fork servicing confuses the hell out of me, i've never serviced my own fork, theres just too many parts. Also wheel trueing is an artform, imagine trying to replace a knackered rear hub yourself and then putting the wheel back together. Brings me out in a sweat.

Gears set-up/installation and brake set-up/bleed would probably be the most useful things if you dont know them. Correct installation and types of bottom brackets could be useful knowledge too.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Make sure you cover lube if he's a big lad... ;)
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In three hours you should have time to strip and rebuild a bike, probably including a basic fork seal service.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    yeah but doing something is much quicker than teaching something. I don't think its realistic to teach someone in that time.

I guess you want to learn how to do a basic service as thats what you'll do most the time. So gears, brakes, lubing/not lubing and bearings. and then leave the harder bits for the LBS or learn them at another time.