Charity Bike Ride for The Stroke Association and ShelterBox

jdwhite07
jdwhite07 Posts: 5
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
'CYCLING 1,260 MILES, IN 10 DAYS!'

A team of five take on the ultimate challenge of cycling 1,260 miles from Bristol to Rome in just ten days. Starting early on the morning of Friday 26th August 2011 from the Bristol Hippodrome, the self originated event has been named The Rome Project! The team; Adam Bear, James White, Justin James, Tom Lovell and Tom Ovens, aim to raise as much money and awareness as possible for two charities, The Stroke Association and ShelterBox. A considerable amount of preparation, planning and training has already gone into The Rome Project with bi-monthly meetings and two-day training sessions in the South West and Wales.

To follow their progress go to Twitter (www.twitter.com/theromeproject), or search for The Rome Project page on Facebook.

To donate go to Just Giving (www.justgiving.com) and search for TheRomeProject. There are two Rome Project accounts one for each charity.

If you would like any more information please contact me.

The Rome Project

James White

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Welcome aboard,

I'd expect, depending on where you ferry from, your mileage will be closer to 1,400+

Are you riding supported or carrying all your kit, if the later, I wish you luck, that's quite a challenge!

If you want to make Rome in 10 days you'll need to really plan ahead, locate campsites etc. to avoid that time lost faffing around in Information centres etc. Camping in Italy is also generally crap,worth seeing if there are any AIG hostels on route:
    http://www.aighostels.com/

If you knew all of the above, my bad and good luck!
  • jdwhite07
    jdwhite07 Posts: 5
    iPete, thank you for the advise the hostels might be a great idea and will follow up on this! Everything will be pre planned to reduce waisted time.

We have a support car tracking with us thankfully.

We are ferrying from Portsmouth to Le Harve and have mapped out the route using RunKeeper and Google maps as well as good old trust paper maps (the still exist!).

Thank you for the luck!