new sidi shoes new pain in foot, advice please

solsurf
solsurf Posts: 489
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
I bought some new sidi shoes, they are far more fitted and feel great on, however when I get to 30 miles plus I get a pain on the outside of the ball of my foot. Has anyone had the same problem and can recommend on which way I should move the cleat?

cheers,

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    don't tighten them so much?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    solsurf wrote:
    I bought some new sidi shoes, they are far more fitted and feel great on, however when I get to 30 miles plus I get a pain on the outside of the ball of my foot. Has anyone had the same problem and can recommend on which way I should move the cleat?

cheers,
    with my new sidis, i was getting pain on outside of foot, this was solved by using cleat wedges, can't recommend them enough for comfort when peddling. Whether the same would apply to the inside of your foot i'm not sure, if you find the bikefit systems website it will explain if it's a potential fix for your proble. Providing it's not caused simply by over tightening as schweiz says
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    solsurf wrote:

cheers,
    with my new sidis, i was getting pain on outside of foot, this was solved by using cleat wedges, can't recommend them enough for comfort when peddling. Whether the same would apply to the inside of your foot i'm not sure, if you find the bikefit systems website it will explain if it's a potential fix for your proble. Providing it's not caused simply by over tightening as schweiz says
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • solsurf
    solsurf wrote:

cheers,

thanks I'll have a look, sounds like an option
  • solsurf
    bought some wedges I will let you know how I get on. thanks again
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    solsurf wrote:

cheers,

I had the same problem ! Its cos their new I recon.
    Make sure the cleats are correctly set up and dont torque them too tight....my foot pain went once they started to mould my feet better...just took time am afraid. Had mixed results with different insoles so can't really comment. My Simano R300's are still more comfortable though !
  • bianchimoon
    turnerjohn wrote:
    solsurf wrote:

cheers,

Make sure the cleats are correctly set up and dont torque them too tight....my foot pain went once they started to mould my feet better...just took time am afraid. Had mixed results with different insoles so can't really comment. My Simano R300's are still more comfortable though !
    Not sure which sidi's you've got but mine Ergo 2's don't stretch or shrink to fit, the Lorica material is far more stable than leather, literature with the shoes says make sure you get fit right on buying as there will be no give later
    58585 Posts: 207
    I've found that after a few wet rides both my pairs of sidi were much more comfortable...
    If you loosen them off one notch after half an hour or so it might take a bit of pressure off too if your feet are swelling.
  • solsurf
    turnerjohn wrote:
    solsurf wrote:

cheers,

Not sure which sidi's you've got but mine Ergo 2's don't stretch or shrink to fit, the Lorica material is far more stable than leather, literature with the shoes says make sure you get fit right on buying as there will be no give later

Yep got the ergo 2s, the fit is perfect, got them because they fit like a glove. Looking at the literature about the wedges I think (or hope) that is the answer.
  • bianchimoon
    Yep got the ergo 2s, the fit is perfect, got them because they fit like a glove. Looking at the literature about the wedges I think (or hope) that is the answer.[/quote]

I used 4 on one side 2 on the other, to compensate for miniscule leg length difference
    good luck
  • solsurf
    Yep got the ergo 2s, the fit is perfect, got them because they fit like a glove. Looking at the literature about the wedges I think (or hope) that is the answer.

I used 4 on one side 2 on the other, to compensate for miniscule leg length difference
    good luck[/quote]

I'll let you know how I get on, if I get them tomorrow I'll take a little spin out to Keswick to watch the suffering on the Fred Whitton, glad I'm not doing this year, strong southerly and hail is forecast!
  • bianchimoon
    solsurf wrote:

good luck

I'll let you know how I get on, if I get them tomorrow I'll take a little spin out to Keswick to watch the suffering on the Fred Whitton, glad I'm not doing this year, strong southerly and hail is forecast![/quote]
    follow the instructions carefully, and make sure the front of wedge doesn't extend beyond front of cleat or you wont be able to get 'clicked' in, i'm sure they'll be an asset
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I use the Specialized insoles in mine (I have the cheapest MTB set) and they fit like a pair of slippers. I have ridiculously shaped feet and this is the first combination i ve found that don't hurt. Shimano shoes made my feet go numb after 5 mins and spesh shoes were too tight around the front but not around the heel etc etc...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    turnerjohn wrote:
    solsurf wrote:

cheers,

got the Genius 6.6...lorica is far stiffer but it will mould eventually (have a few pairs of older Sidi and they loose up with time) its just very tough material. Funnily they fit perfectly but from the start I had the same problems as the OP...just got better with time. Shimano still more comfortable though !
  • peter101cycle
    peter101cycle Posts: 298
    Well I got the Sidi Ergo 2's a couple of months back and they are really comfortable, more so than my older Sidi Genius 5's.

They are a slim fit (has the OP got wide feet??) and I have noticed during use that it is better to start with them tightened only moderately, as your feet tend to swell a bit during use and the Lorica does not have much give in them like leather.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • solsurf
    I now have 3 wedges on the right foot and 1 on the left, it seems to work no more pain. And a niggling pain in my knee is getting better. Thanks for the advice everyone. Just a bit of back pain now, but that's to do with mtb (carrying my bike most of the way) up Helvelyn last night after work.