Garmin Edge 800

Nick1978
Nick1978 Posts: 93
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone

Im am buying a Garmin Edge 800 but didnt know what package to get. I do both road and mountain biking.

Does anyone have anyadvice on which package to go for. I am thinking of getting the bunudle with the 1:50k maps on. However are these appropriate for road riding aswell as mountain biking? I only ride in the UK.

Any advice much appreciated and and feedback form other people who have them too would be great.

Thanks!

Nick

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    It is better value to get the bundle with the 1:50k maps - these on their own are over a £100 whereas the navigator maps can be found for about £30

I have both map sets and the 1:50 are more than adequate for road riding. But that depends on preference too - personally i like the extra detail that OS maps have so use them for road and mtb rather than changing cards. But other people might find the extra detail to make things less clear and more cluttered.
  • jlgt
    jlgt Posts: 21
    I went for the bundle with the 1:50k OS map, and I must admit that I do find it quite cluttered and difficult to read on the aerial view. For following a road-based route, I tend to use the "automotive" perspective mode (like a a car satnav) which shows just the roads and names, but then this is not getting the benefit of the OS mapping, so I'd say you'd only really need the OS map if you were doing significant off-road riding...

Another option is to try a free open source map - I followed the instructions on post 3 of this thread, and the maps from talkytoaster seem fine (though I haven't tried them out extensively as I had the OS one already).
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Did a lot of research myself on this recently.

Only road use - the City Navigator is absolutely fine (even showing small track type roads, often).

Any off-road use at all - 1:50 OS Maps.

As has been said, separately the OS maps cost £100 or something, but the Navigator maps are cheap as chips, so if you want both...

People say the OS maps are too detailed / small / difficult to read on the screen for general road bike use.
  • steelem
    steelem Posts: 199
    i went for the performance bundle - no maps - but comes with cadence & heart rate - i have bought a 2gb sd micro for 3-50 delivered - i downloaded both free maps from talkytoaster.com and works greatsaved myself 40-00 - you just missed out as wiggle had 20% off last week making the bundle 319-00. give me a pm if you need any help on maps etc as it took me a while to figure out what is whats needed etc to plan routes etc
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    steelem wrote:
    i went for the performance bundle - no maps - but comes with cadence & heart rate - i have bought a 2gb sd micro for 3-50 delivered - i downloaded both free maps from talkytoaster.com and works greatsaved myself 40-00 - you just missed out as wiggle had 20% off last week making the bundle 319-00. give me a pm if you need any help on maps etc as it took me a while to figure out what is whats needed etc to plan routes etc

Missed out ??

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-800 ... 5360054324
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • steelem
    i looked yesterday the performance & navigation was 10% - last week it was 20% - great the performance bundle is still 20%.. will see today if my 320-00 was worth it
  • steelem
    thats the bundle to buy - get it why its at that price -

• golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    Is it worthwhile upgrading from the 305 to the 800?
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • chrisba
    chrisba Posts: 91
    thats the bundle to buy - get it why its at that price -

Sadly, not so cheap anymore. Handtec is cheaper now, but have no stock.

( said he, smugly, having received his on Tuesday at the £319 price)

Very pleased so far, have loaded the free OpenStreetMap for UK on, first impression of those is good too.