Phones for Cycling

Jonny7c
Jonny7c Posts: 35
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi all.

My phone is due for an upgrade and I'd like to get a phone that's good for route logging etc as I can't justify splashing out on a Garmin. Does anybody have any recommendations for a sturdy phone with decent battery life that's easy to use and transfer data?

I'm on vodafone if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Comments

• iancgray
    iancgray Posts: 4
    Hi Jonny, I have a Nokia N8 on Vodafone with SportsTracker installed which is pretty good. Gives average & max speeds, route profile & plots your route on Ovi maps. Can be uploaded to your pc & can be used as a HRM if you by a belt & sensor from Polar. Don't know if the best thing out there because I haven't tried anything else, but works well for me.
    Cheers, Ian.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    HTC desire is a good phone for what you'd want but battery is dreadful an irs not particularly robust for bumpy rides.

I was very torn between this and the N8 when the N8 was absolutely brand new, With hindsight I wish I'd gone for the Nokia.
  • micken
    micken Posts: 275
    I'm using an htc Desire with mmtracker for Memory Maps and I'm also playing with ViewRanger. I previously used an htc Touch HD and have a Cateye v3 for the other stuff like heads up speed, heartrate and cadence.

The only thing I miss logging here is HR, I'm not too bothered about cadence.

The key thing for me is use with OS maps and mmtracker is ideal for that.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    A word of caution, a problem with phones for navigation/logging, as I learned to my cost with my iphone, is that most are not weatherproof at all unike the bike specific garmins. I now have a Motorola Defy which is waterproof and can be dropped so is much less of a worry.
  • Jonny7c
    Jonny7c Posts: 35
    Thanks all for the feedback.

The people at vodafone recommended the Motorola Defy - how do you find the functionality and battery life brucey72?
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I have to admit that as a phone and for general day to day use I miss my iPhone as all the menus, apps etc were so easy to use but as a sat nav for my bike it is excellent. Very easy to use and no problems with things like viewing the maps in bright sunlight (no worse than my iPhone anyway). I have cycled in the rain and it's still working well which is more than I can say for my last phone! I think there is some quite good deals out there for the Defy but if you did opt for an iPhone and just made sure you tucked it away when it rained then Quidco are doing a £160 cashback promotion on Vodafone so in effect you are getting a free phone!
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I have an iPhone and wouldnt go back - I use this app

http://www.abvio.com/cyclemeter/

Logs all i need, route, speed and altitude - allows you to set a training route and then has training partner functionality too, if you ride with headphones it speaks you performance relative to your best ride at you. Cannot be used as a navigation aid but apart from that its great - practical and has a few fun features like posting to twitter and f.book (and any comments are spoken to you).
  • christurbo
    christurbo Posts: 432
    iPhone with Runkeeper. I have seen quite a few Team GB guys using it on the Street View.

I think it is awesome.
  • stigofthedump
    stigofthedump Posts: 331
    I have a Nokia and use Sport tracker, which is excellent.

Does anyone have a good way to mount their phone so it can be read and remain "water free"?
  • micken
    I have a Nokia and use Sport tracker, which is excellent.

Does anyone have a good way to mount their phone so it can be read and remain "water free"?

If you Google for Otterbox you'll get some ideas, but they cost.
  • christurbo
    christurbo Posts: 432
    What mount would you use for the Otterbox?

Thanks
  • micken
    I looked into this a few years ago to use Memory Map on a htc Touch HD and there were various (not very elegant) ways sold by RAM, Slipmount and a few other cobbled together ways. As I mentioned earlier I currently carry a htc Desire using MMtracker or ViewRanger and put it in my back pocket or saddle bag. I use a pour'n'store bag, or something similar for bad weather. I usually plan routes beforehand and don't really seem to need the map on view all the time. I use a Cateye v3 for the other stuff.

Looking at the Android market right now I'd probably go for a Defy, then root and flash it so it runs how I want it to. I'd use a combination of a Brodit passive mount with a Herbert Richter bike mount 1 to attach to the bike. It might be possible to bolt the two directly together but I've not got access to either to confirm that. Since the Defy goes sideways into the Brodit unit I'd use one or two O rings or some MTB inner tube rings to secure the Defy in the Brodit.

This could actually work out as a nice solution.