trek fuel ex 7 broken swing arm

garretthen
garretthen Posts: 6
edited May 2011 in MTB general
HI there, anyone had any issues with trek fuel ex 7/8/9 etc?
My 2008 ex 7 snapped it's swingarm last night simply cycling around my back street. When I took the bike into the shop I bought it from they showed me two other identical bikes with the same fault. They claimed trek would not cover this under warranty. So I contacted trek uk who would not comment on whether they would cover the part under warranty or not. But they did expect me to wait 3 - 4 weeks either way. I am not happy with this and a quick google search threw up numerous other fuel exs with the same problem.

Anyones thoughts please???????

Comments

• dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Never heard of it before.
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    Did it snap near the disc mount?
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Been a couple of people post on this in the past. Someone on STW this week iirc.
  • garretthen
    It snapped at the weld infont of the disc mount. Absolutely raging as I just forked out for new fox 32 rlc forks and a new shock, not to mention new chain and cassettet.[/img]
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Wouldn't be too hard to get re-welded mate. Although slightly ugly as it will damage paint. But for £20-30 you could have it fixed and working anyway.
  • garretthen
    would you trust something that snapped once for no reason and was then re-welded? How safe would you feel bombing down the side of that mountain at 30+ with that beneath you?
    For the cost of these bikes nowadays they should be fit for purpose. These bikes are labeled as cross country and all mountain yet it snaps a swing arm when you pull the back brakes.
  • weeksy59
    i'm not arguing with your logic fella... however you have 3 choices.

1. Get a new triangle..
    2. Get a new frame
    3. Fix that one.

I'm just giving you a potential solution, FWIW, the weld should be at least as strong as any of the rest of the frame after being done (if done properly).
  • weeksy59
    edit:

I snapped 2 Commencal frames, so i know how frustrated you are... but... getting angry at the world won't fix your problem and get you back out riding... fixing you bike will :)
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Wait and see what Trek say. I've heard some good things about their UK warranty.
  • garretthen
    weeksy59 wrote:
    edit:

I snapped 2 Commencal frames, so i know how frustrated you are... but... getting angry at the world won't fix your problem and get you back out riding... fixing you bike will :)

Sorry chief, wasn't ranting at you, just to you!
    Not havin a great week, my TL1000S is lying in a thousand pieces on the garage floor (two weeks left untill road trip), Transporter is acting up and now the trek. Might just burn the whole lot! :twisted:
  • weeksy59
    garretthen wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    edit:

Not havin a great week, my TL1000S is lying in a thousand pieces on the garage floor (two weeks left untill road trip), Transporter is acting up and now the trek. Might just burn the whole lot! :twisted:

What's up with the TLS fella ?
  • garretthen
    weeksy59 wrote:
    garretthen wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    edit:

What's up with the TLS fella ?

Nothin, just needed a complete strip down, full akro system, gsxr 750 k7 front end, ohlins shock, new swing arm, new bodywork, new clutch basket and wormdrive. Takin her to scotland in a few weeks so thought I'd do it right. could take the wee hornet but it would break your heart on motorways.
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    See what trek say. One of the mechanics at wheelbase told me my frame has a lifetime guarantee, as long as I'm the first owner/purchaser. Mine's a remedy 8, so very similar to the fuels.
    Hope ya get it sorted out.
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    Dont worry if you are the original owner they will replace it no questions asked i had my chainstay crack near the pivot on my 2009 ex9 they replaced that, then within 2 weeks i noticed a crack on my old 2007 topfuel 8 on the seat tube, when i sent that back they rang me and said they could not replace it with the same frame but gave me a 2009 topfuel 9 frame instead.
    i mentioned that the eye to eye length on the shock may not fit so they said to send it back and they replaced it with an rp23 shock and also said if anything else would not fit to send the part back and they would replace it. :)
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    Wow. Now that's customer service. Got my eye on session 8 or a scratch next. Keeping the remedy as well though.
  • Mick Arms
    Mick Arms Posts: 141
    I had a 2008 ex8frame go on the same place on the rear disc mount.

LBS and Trek had a new swing arm sorted in 2 days. A year later the threads on the drive side BB had become shot, ( was an issue with threads not being cut properly) and they replaced the entire frame to 2009 ex9 frame and RP23 rear shock.

well happy bunny with treks service.
    Crashing hard since 94...