Tubes & Stans sealant - anybody tried it?

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Been running tubeless with stans for a while, but recently had a couple of issues which have been a PITA. I also like to swap tyres every now and again, and can't be bothered with getting them seated / sealed every time before use, but like the protection it gives when it is done.

So, was wondering, how about running tubes, but injecting some stans into the tubes...

So, i get the quick setup of tubes, can swap tyres as and when I want, but hopefully the stans would offer the same puncture protection as its running round inside the tube?

Almost like the slime tubes, but been put off them due to the weight etc.

Anyone else thought or tried this??? Might have a play at the weekend.

Comments

• Mooose
    Mooose Posts: 47
    Set it up, pop a pin throught the tyre and see if it seals, if so, job's a good'un. If not, better get that puncture kit out!

Interested to hear how it works though.
  • andy rj
    andy rj Posts: 9
    I've just gotten some DT Swiss rims and Rocket Ron tubeless ready tyres on my new bike and i was wondering how the Stan's kits prevents further punctures.

I can understand about the solution helping seal during and after inflation but how does it stop the air release once a thorn/spike/etc has pushed through the tyre?

My reason for asking is that I went out for the first time for an hour on the bike this weekend (it can fitted with tubes in the wheels) and had to repair 3 small punctures the next day.
    So I'm looking for a way to save money and time on inner tubes.
    Cheers
    Andy RJ
  • @ Andy RJ

If you haven't already watch the puncture demo on this link
    http://www.notubes.com/Movies.aspx

I tried running some Stan's in inner tubes on my road bike when I rode the Rapha Hell of the North ride as there were gravel/off-road sections.. worked well on the day but, after a week or so, some of the Stan's congealed into a marble sized lump in the tube... not sure why as it doesn't seem to do it on my mtb or cross bike both of which are set-up tubeless.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I ran some Stan's sealant in Conti Competition tubs for a while, didn't flat, but don't know if the Stan's actually helped! Didn't congeal either, very odd.

There are various tube sealants around, they're much thicker than tyre sealant, never worked out why, but they tend to contain a lot more particles than tyre sealants, which have a consistency like water.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    njee20 wrote:
    There are various tube sealants around, they're much thicker than tyre sealant, never worked out why, but they tend to contain a lot more particles than tyre sealants, which have a consistency like water.

I suspect it's because inner tubes are a lot more flexible than tyres - any sealant has to work harder as the inner tube is squished around inside the tyre.

I think it's also why the Slime inner tubes are so heavy - they're probably thicker less flexible rubber to make sealing easier.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're standard rubber - just with loads of sealant in them!

They do (did?) do Slime-Lite tubes, which were ultra-lite tubes with slime in them, they weighed about the same as a normal tube, but sadly still punctured loads!

Did my first real test of Stan's sealant in 6 years use last week. Found a nail in my tyre, pulled it out, left a hole about 3mm across, rotated the wheel, sealed instantly. A week on there was no loss of pressure.
  • BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    I used to use slime, but after buying a bottle of latex milk, to try a ghetto tubeless setup (unsuccessful), I now add about 30ml to new tubes making my own slime tubes
    Doesn't seem to handle really big holes, but I've found plenty of thorns in them when changing tyres.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • sib321
    sib321 Posts: 11
    Without something to help with punctures I get loads, one every other ride or so. I think it is perhaps because I am heavy - it's been the same way for 20 years or so.

I love Stans as when I have used it with UST, which I have now for over 2 years, I have NEVER been stopped by a puncture.

Using it in tubes on my other bike has been less successfully though. It certainly reduced the number of punctures I had, but I still got a few.

Can't compare to Slime as I have never used it.
  • SpiCan
    SpiCan Posts: 31
    I think that as the tube does not have any renforcment like a tyres. The hole will be bigger because of the tension.
    It may seal because its stuck inside the tyre but it won't last long

Time VXS, Spi Roubaix Elite, Cannondale Caffeine F2,
    S Works Stumpjumper fsr, Dahon folding.
  • beardytwo
    beardytwo Posts: 174
    I'm one of those weird people who like conti speed kings (2.3) however they are a bit puncture prone probably due to being such an open tread and the fact I run them at quite a low pressure. Two weeks ago I put stans in the tube and so far all good..Was abit of hassle getting the patch to seal the hole back up as the stans was stopping it from sticking but all sorted now...
  • Putting tubeless sealant into your inner tube works fine. Just pop some sealant into your tube and away you go. It will add weight, of course, but it will do the job just fine.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here.

Excellent thread resurrection, but I'm guessing the OP may, or may not have tried it in the six years since.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    And? Even roadies have tubeless setups these days.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Posts added 2
    Value added 0
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok I ride about 50 miles a week, mostly pavement but I have full off-road capabilities and use it whenever possible. My bike is a 2017 marin nail trail 6 (for the toughness) and I haven't traded the stock nobbys for more road friendly tires yet. The problem with slime is that it is only good enough to get you home. I'm not one of those pansy riders who throw the bike on a rack and drive it to where I have to go so I need to have a "limp home" capability. I've gotten home and had slime repaired punctures last maybe 2-3 days and then I go out to ride and surprise! Got a flat again! Now I've heard from everyone that stans won't work in tubes, but seals permanently on tubeless. Now I ride to work and actually have 2 bikes in case of emergency but if I get a flat with tubes, I can change the tube and be rolling again in ten minutes max, this can't be done with tubeless tires. Now I've read somewhere on a forum about some guy who used a 50/50 mix of stans and slime in tubes and it worked perfectly to seal almost instantly, the repairs were permanent. I had to try it. I run high pressure (50 lbs) due to my commute being mostly pavement and have a large 38 tooth cog in front for speed. I also weigh 240 lbs and i'm really hard on my equipment. I put the mix in and no goatheads for about a week or more, then one day i'm at a taco truck and I see the biggest goathead ever in my front tire! I pulled it out and instantly a rush of runny green looking stuff comes out and I immediatly spin the tire, it goes around a couple of times and I stop it where the leak is on the bottom, it stops! I spin it the other way and ride home with my burrito. it's been about 4 days now and no loss of pressure! I think the seal is permanent! It helps to be a diligent researcher with reading skills , try this and if you have goatheads in your area you might want to run protective strips inside the tires to make your odds a little better.
  • cooldad
    Lots of words, lots of nonsense.

I have both tubed and tubeless. If, and it's never happened yet, I get a puncture in a tubeless tyre, I have both a tubeless repair kit (like little rubber worms - worked fine for friends on the trail), and I carry a tube anyway, so it will take me no longer to fit a tube than it takes you to do the same.

ps. we don't actually have goatheads (except on goats), taco vans or ride burritos over here.

pps. It's tyre.

pps. I'm glad you're a manly man and not a pansy.

ppps. It's a road. Pavements are for pedestrians.

pppps. It's knobby with a 'k'.

ppppps. Just being diligent.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools