Stop screwing with the thermostat!

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Last week, and the week before, I was happily in summer riding gear, thinking warm weather had arrived for good.

This week after a decidedly chilly spell in the hammock on Monday, I was back in full length roubaix leggings and an Assos evo top (lycra but with some form of rubber-ish lining, and a windproof chest).

On Tuesday and Wednesday I pitied the poor fools who had stuck with summer clothing, as they shivered and pedalled in equal measure.

Yesterday I was warm. Not uncomfortable, but warm.

Today I was like a boil in the bag spud. I ended up on Viccy Embankment with my top unzipped as if I were climbing the last mile of Ventoux in the height of summer.

Well, I've had enough. I want the temperature fixed, and I want it fixed now. See to it.

That is all.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    I blame the Spanish plume...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I blame Wiggle.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Someone will be along shortly to blame Nick Clegg.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    it absolutely chucked it down here last night an has been raining non stop since

weirdly still warm though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Shorts & SS top at this end of the M4 mainlyto show off the scars on my elbow and knee.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Greg66 wrote:

Anyone starting to fell sorry for him?

Nope - thought not!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    ^^

FPTP tends to result in very hot spells alternating with very cold.

With AV, the temperature should be maintained more evenly somewhere in the middle :wink:
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I blame no one.

I've been in shorts since March. In my book anything over 5degC is shorts weather. You get warm after your first 2 miles anyway ;)
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I've been in shorts since March. In my book anything over 5degC is shorts weather. You get warm after your first 2 miles anyway ;)

MTF......?
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    redvee wrote:
    Shorts & SS top at this end of the M4 mainlyto show off the scars on my elbow and knee.

Sorry Revdee Brizzle is only the middle of the M4. The western end of this mighty superhighway is in the world famous Welsh megacity of Pont Abraham. You can get a really nice cup of coffee at the services there.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I would say global warming but Gregg doesn't believe in it
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Pfft, the most I did was swap back to long fingered gloves and a long-sleeved jersey. Did cover the knees on Tuesday, but not a sniff of roubaix. Sweaty as anything this morning though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Just spent 11 days in Egypt - consistently 35C sunshine everyday... :wink:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I am being a bit of a whimp at the moment and still cycling in winter gear. Hence my legs are still lilly white!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    redvee wrote:

Sorry Revdee Brizzle is only the middle of the M4. The western end of this mighty superhighway is in the world famous Welsh megacity of Pont Abraham. You can get a really nice cup of coffee at the services there.

The M4 is just a short stretch of the 3625 mile E30 from Cork to Omsk :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_route_E30
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg66 wrote:

I bet you do - from top to bottom a liberal bed wetter.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    redvee wrote:
    Shorts & SS top at this end of the M4 mainly to show off the scars on my elbow and knee.

ditto minus the scars though. Looks like a trip home in the sun via the Chew Valley for a bit of interest.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    I blame no one.

You woos!! Up here, anything above -5C is shorts weather... 8)
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I bet you do - from top to bottom a liberal bed wetter.

Hardly. Cleggy would have to do something before he could be blamed for it.

I think of him in the same mould as the short guy on Fantasy Island, who would run around saying "Eatz de plane, boss! Eatz de plane!". And not do much else.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    Last week, and the week before, I was happily in summer riding gear, thinking warm weather had arrived for good.

This week after a decidedly chilly spell in the hammock on Monday, I was back in full length roubaix leggings and an Assos evo top (lycra but with some form of rubber-ish lining, and a windproof chest).

On Tuesday and Wednesday I pitied the poor fools who had stuck with summer clothing, as they shivered and pedalled in equal measure.

Yesterday I was warm. Not uncomfortable, but warm.

Today I was like a boil in the bag spud. I ended up on Viccy Embankment with my top unzipped as if I were climbing the last mile of Ventoux in the height of summer.

Well, I've had enough. I want the temperature fixed, and I want it fixed now. See to it.

That is all.
    How's that global warming and climate change denial working out for you?

:twisted:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Despite my protestations, I am pretty sure that the weather has, in the past, been cold, cool, warm and hot,in a variety of orders, and that the climate has - how can I put this - "changed", if you will, over time.

All this bobbins about it changing unduly because it's colder on a Wednesday than the Tuesday before being down to CO2 from us terrible humans which will lead to our complete Roland Emmerich- style destruction in the foreseeable future is, well, bobbins.

Anyone remember Gordo's confident prediction that we had 50 days to save the planet from global warming? That was October 2009. I always suspected he had trouble counting.

AGW/climate change is, on the other hand, a great way to prescribe the behaviour of your population whilst at the same time ripping tax out of their collective @rses as if there really were no tomorrow.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg66 wrote:
    Despite my protestations, I am pretty sure that the weather has, in the past, been cold, cool, warm and hot,in a variety of orders, and that the climate has - how can I put this - "changed", if you will, over time.

All this bobbins about it changing unduly because it's colder on a Wednesday than the Tuesday before being down to CO2 from us terrible humans which will lead to our complete Roland Emmerich- style destruction in the foreseeable future is, well, bobbins.

Anyone remember Gordo's confident prediction that we had 50 days to save the planet from global warming? That was October 2009. I always suspected he had trouble counting.

AGW/climate change is, on the other hand, a great way to prescribe the behaviour of your population whilst at the same time ripping tax out of their collective @rses as if there really were no tomorrow.
    Flash Gordon? Nah, not so much
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:

Lol, I actually agree with you to a point.

I do think over a longer timescale the Earth's climate will change, the globe may infact get warmer. This may be natural - ageing sun, movement of the continents (these causes aren't necessarily defined as global warming or climate change). It may be man made - though I don't think it's been long enough to say.

What I don't understand is why they don't use the Sun as a large incinerator for landfill rubbish every decade or so.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game