An Inspirational Message For You All...

Chris McG
Chris McG Posts: 189
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
I am a 15 year old diabetic, and also a cyclist. I was diagnosed two years ago, but I decided not to let it get in the way of my sport. I have been racing and training since then, and my results include
2nd overall U16 at last years Herne Hill summer track league,
2nd overall U16 at this years Gorrick Spring Series,
1st U16 boy at Knog Muddy Hell Cyclocross,
and 1st overall in the London and South-Eastern Regional Cyclocross League

So if a diabetic can do this, what's stopping the rest of you? Get out and ride! :D
"Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."

Comments

• CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Great results. Keep it up and hope you can turn a couple of those 2nd places into 1st!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Show off!

Well done

I take it you follow Team Type 1? (Of course, you may not have Type 1, but still..)

Were in a Flanders classic this spring if I remember right, and they're off to the ToC too.
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    I am a 15 year old diabetic, and also a cyclist.

You are a 15 year old cyclist who just happens to be diabetic. :lol:

The excellent results so far (and your location...) show you have a pretty well focused competitive spirit. I hope you go far. And I don't mean touring.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    sweet.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    I take it you follow Team Type 1? (Of course, you may not have Type 1, but still..)

I have heard of them actually, and yes i do have type one...
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    It's not what you have that defines you, it's what you do with it. [/Batman]
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    That's great Chris, with a very positive attitude like that you'll carry on achieving great results, and not just in cycling. Should you be in Cake Stop though! :)
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Well done and when you get to 'that level' make sure your domestiques don't mix up the water bottles!
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Well done mate, I was diagnosed type 1 about 8 years ago now. I was in my mid 20s so was pretty much ready to knock the heavy alcohol abuse on the head, but have always thought that would have been the one thing I would have struggled with had I been diabetic as a teenager. Sounds like you are dealing with it well anyway.

For me the cycling really helps keep the blood sugars down and if anything I've got a lot fitter since diagnosis as I've been much more conscious of what I'm doing with my body. I have ridden races, time trials, sportives, the etape, Marmotte this summer, the diabetes is one more thing to deal with but hasn't really got in the way at all.