Coast to Coast today :-)

phillipjohnson
phillipjohnson Posts: 117
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
I'm doing the Coast to Coast for the first time this weekend and can't wait. Doing it over 2 days... Saturday and Sunday starting in Whitehaven and finishing in Tynemouth stopping over at Alston.

Got my bags packed and just checking the weather... can't believe after 4 weeks of glorious sunshine we are forecast for a stormy, wet and windy weekend now! Ah well... I've got the waterproofs packed in the panniers and hopefully if the weather is bad it should give me better stories to tell of the trip.

Has anybody else on here done the C2C? What was the weather like when you did it and have you got any interesting stories from it?

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    no, but good luck Its on my list to do, I also want to do the A6.
  • Just got back.

Excellent weekend and would highly recommend it.... if I did it again though I would do it in 3 days rather than 2... First day was a killer from Whitehaven to Alston... Left Whitehaven at 9am and didn't get to Alston until 9pm just as it was getting dark.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    i did it last year over 3 days and was lucky with the weather although it was actually a bit too hot........... enjoy the hills thers some bloody biguns but the sense of achievement after climbing them is tremendous. I did it on my old giant mtb did suffer a bit on the hills i hope to do it again on the road bike in the next year or 2.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Nice one Philip,
    I'm planning on doing it with a couple of friends this year.

I've a couple questions if you don't mind.

1. How did you get to the start/back from the end?
    We were planning on getting the train to Whitehaven (or where ever was nearest) and I was thinking of cycling day one that same day but some in the group are keen to stay over in Whitehaven (though that's extra expense and time I don't really want)

2. Did you camp or use B&Bs?
    If B&Bs did you book em before the trip or just try find somewhere in the town you ended up in?

Cheers,

Tony
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    I cycled it 2 years ago over 3 days on my mountain bike, i did it in May, i stopped at Greystokes, and Rookhope, had a fantastic time weather was kind i would love to do it again at some point.

then last year i ran it over 5 days in September it was tough but i really enjoyed it, the weather was awful, 7hrs of torrential rain on day 1, same again on day 2, strong head winds on day 3, days 4 & 5 the weather was ok!!

I don't know about anybody else but i had a great sence of achievement when i got to the finish, both times i've done it i've finished in Sunderland.

Its a pity they don't have a sculpture to mark the finish line there, like they do at the start. In sunderland there is a plaque on the wall of the lifeboat station to say you've finished, i'm not sure if there is anything in Tynemouth?

Good luck and enjoy day 2!!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Hello
    I rode the C2C last year over 2 days with 3 mates and it was a great trip, definitely recommend it. Here are a few random suggestions that might help you.
    - Getting there – we all live in or near Newcastle so took a bike taxi over. Very easy and worked out about £40 each. At the end, just rode home!
    - Definitely book your accommodation in advance, the ride is very popular all year round and you don’t want to be left hunting for a place to stop. We stayed in Whitehaven on the Friday night and Alston on the Saturday. There’s loads of accommodation in Whitehaven but less in Alston where we booked into the Angel Inn. It was perfectly comfortable and did a good breakfast. Landlady is a bit bonkers and although you can put your bike out the back in a closed courtyard you might want a lock. Also has an Indian restaurant on site which was OK but don’t choose the Tikka Masala unless you like your food bright pink!
    - Travel light – we all just took a light change of clothes for the evening and fitted everything into saddle or bar bags. You can refuel along the way.
    - If you are fairly fit then doing the ride in 2 days is perfectly achievable but sufficiently challenging. The first day is hardest, especially with the climb up Hartside at the end. Second day – once you reach the Waskerly way it really does feel like its downhill to the finish.
    - Gearwise – any bike will do but the weapon of choice would be a sturdy road or cx bike. Some of the route is on rough stony tracks so I’d go for 28mm tyres if your bike will take them. One of our group had skinny 23s and struggled in places.
    - A compact or triple is recommended. Hartside, Whinlatter and Crawleyside Bank will have you wishing for just one lower gear.
    - The final section along the Tyne from Newcastle Quayside is not exactly the most scenic and you need to keep an eye out for glass (+stray dogs and wild children) on the path. I ride this most days as part of my commuter route and its mostly OK, just keep your eyes open for hazards.
    Enjoy!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Doing Hadrian's cycleway in a couple of weeks over 3 days. Bit further north than you and I think it avoids the worst of the climbs, so should be fairly easy. Going with Saddle Skedaddle so they sort the accomodation transport etc.

Really looking forward to it now - have always wanted to see Hadrian's wall.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    jomoj wrote:
    Hello
    I rode the C2C last year over 2 days with 3 mates and it was a great trip, definitely recommend it. Here are a few random suggestions that might help you.
    - Getting there – we all live in or near Newcastle so took a bike taxi over. Very easy and worked out about £40 each. At the end, just rode home!
    - Definitely book your accommodation in advance, the ride is very popular all year round and you don’t want to be left hunting for a place to stop. We stayed in Whitehaven on the Friday night and Alston on the Saturday. There’s loads of accommodation in Whitehaven but less in Alston where we booked into the Angel Inn. It was perfectly comfortable and did a good breakfast. Landlady is a bit bonkers and although you can put your bike out the back in a closed courtyard you might want a lock. Also has an Indian restaurant on site which was OK but don’t choose the Tikka Masala unless you like your food bright pink!
    - Travel light – we all just took a light change of clothes for the evening and fitted everything into saddle or bar bags. You can refuel along the way.
    - If you are fairly fit then doing the ride in 2 days is perfectly achievable but sufficiently challenging. The first day is hardest, especially with the climb up Hartside at the end. Second day – once you reach the Waskerly way it really does feel like its downhill to the finish.
    - Gearwise – any bike will do but the weapon of choice would be a sturdy road or cx bike. Some of the route is on rough stony tracks so I’d go for 28mm tyres if your bike will take them. One of our group had skinny 23s and struggled in places.
    - A compact or triple is recommended. Hartside, Whinlatter and Crawleyside Bank will have you wishing for just one lower gear.
    - The final section along the Tyne from Newcastle Quayside is not exactly the most scenic and you need to keep an eye out for glass (+stray dogs and wild children) on the path. I ride this most days as part of my commuter route and its mostly OK, just keep your eyes open for hazards.
    Enjoy!

Thanks jomoj, exactly the sort of info I was looking for.
    We'd be coming from Morpeth, Northumberland (Girlfriend's parents live around there) so I was thinking we'd drive to Tynemouth/ Wherever we want to end up, and get to Whitehaven by train or bike taxi and ride back to there. Not sure on where to stop for the 3 day cycle though...

Was planning on taking a backpack with minimal stuff in it:
    Thinking some stuff for night time (undies, socks, tshirt, light trousers)
    Spare cycling shorts, spare cycling t-shirt, water proofs, toothbrush & toothpaste, shower gel.
    Bike bits (inner tube, puncture repair kit, pump, chain splitter and links, multitool)

Sound about right? I assume B&Bs provide towels (or should I take one of those light sports towels?)

Cheers,

Tony
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • We did similar. Bike Bus from Sunderland to Whitehaven on the Friday night then a nine o clock start cycling in Whitehaven.

We found the first day a bit too far for us, getting into Alston at about 9pm just as the sun was going down.

If you are doing it over 3 days you could probably get the bike bus early on the morning of the first day to get there so you could start cycling at about 9 or shortly after.

If we did it over 3 days I think I would go to Penrith on the first night, then maybe Rookhope for the second.

Our second day from Alston to Tynemouth still felt like a killer... we found it wasn't the big climbs that really got you because you were expecting them and you can walk up them pretty quickly if you have problems with them... its the lots of ups and downs in between that get you.

I would book up your B&Bs early... I tried to book the Vic pub mentioned in Alston for our trip but it was booked up well in advance... I rang in December to try to book for May. smaller places like Rookhope are probably even harder to get booked up in.

Hope this helps,

Phil
  • We did similar. Bike Bus from Sunderland to Whitehaven on the Friday night then a nine o clock start cycling in Whitehaven.

We found the first day a bit too far for us, getting into Alston at about 9pm just as the sun was going down.

If you are doing it over 3 days you could probably get the bike bus early on the morning of the first day to get there so you could start cycling at about 9 or shortly after.

If we did it over 3 days I think I would go to Penrith on the first night, then maybe Rookhope for the second.

Our second day from Alston to Tynemouth still felt like a killer... we found it wasn't the big climbs that really got you because you were expecting them and you can walk up them pretty quickly if you have problems with them... its the lots of ups and downs in between that get you.

I would book up your B&Bs early... I tried to book the Vic pub mentioned in Alston for our trip but it was booked up well in advance... I rang in December to try to book for May. smaller places like Rookhope are probably even harder to get booked up in.

Hope this helps,

Phil
  • Pat Murray
    Pat Murray Posts: 95
    lofty102 wrote:
    Its a pity they don't have a sculpture to mark the finish line there, like they do at the start. In sunderland there is a plaque on the wall of the lifeboat station to say you've finished, i'm not sure if there is anything in Tynemouth?

Good luck and enjoy day 2!!

Good news is that there is now a stunning sculpture on the beach at Sunderland - a huge piece of granite with a big hole in it that you can line up with the lighthouse and your bike - makes a great photo.
  • jomoj
    Tony - sounds a decent kit list but you can always wash your cycling clothes (shower gell will do it) and not bother with the spares - depends how fresh you want to be! I think the B&B provided towels.

I took some flipflops for the evening and an old t-shirt and trousers that I just left in the bin at Alston - disposable clothes.

We got a taxi with TDK travel, they picked us up from Newcastle Central stn and took us in a people carrier with a bike trailer. Easy and painless and the driver was a good guy. Can't remember the hotel in Whitehaven we used, it was cheap and nothing special. Decent breakfast which is important.

I think we were relatively lucky with the weather, it rained on the day 2 but we never had a strong headwind to deal with and that could change things dramatically. Left Whitehaven about 9, had to stop in Keswick to replace a broken spoke and grab some food and got into Alston about 6.30. The descent from Hartside into Alston is a great reward but make sure you put your jacket on as you can freeze after the climb.

If you're ending in Tynemouth and want to refuel after your efforts then I'd recommend Sambucca - cheap and cheerful Italian on the fishquay (you'll ride past it about a mile or so from the finishing post) any of the Fish & Chip shops on the same street or on Tynemouth High St; Marshalls for F&Cs, Lui's bistro if you fancy something fancier and there's also Roy's Bakery for cake!
  • srjuk
    srjuk Posts: 23
    I'm doing the Coast to Coast for the first time this weekend and can't wait. Doing it over 2 days... Saturday and Sunday starting in Whitehaven and finishing in Tynemouth stopping over at Alston.

Got my bags packed and just checking the weather... can't believe after 4 weeks of glorious sunshine we are forecast for a stormy, wet and windy weekend now! Ah well... I've got the waterproofs packed in the panniers and hopefully if the weather is bad it should give me better stories to tell of the trip.

Has anybody else on here done the C2C? What was the weather like when you did it and have you got any interesting stories from it?

Good riding Phillip, its a scenic route once you hit the outer edge of lakes and the pennines.

Do the off-road section out of rookhope, bit bobbly but views once at the top are worth it. Enjoy the ride from the top over to parkhead cafe which is at the top of the waskerly way. You'll particularly enjoy riding in the two landrover ruts that get deeper and deeper until it becomes a nice challenge to pedal in a straight line for fear of been ejected into the heather for a soft landing. Am sure a mate had told me they might have filled some of the ruts in now, either way its a great litte section to join you up with the waskerley which is a nice sloping run all the way down. Stop in parkhead for toasties and coffee for a fill up for the last section to the coast.

Out of the two endings probably pciked the best. The sunderland route always seems to be full of glass as you near urbanisation.

Enjoy the road, and hope the weather is kind coming over the pennines. If not put it down to character building :)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Skedaddle itinerary for 3 days cycling - for £295 they will sort all your accomodation, incliding the night before at Newcastle or Penrith and all of your transfers:

Day 1: Arrival Day - Newcastle or Penrith

With excellent transport connections, to either Newcastle or Penrith, getting to the start is easy. For those arriving by car, you will be able to leave your vehicle at your accommodation, or if the train is your preferred transport mode, we will be happy to collect you from the nearby station.

Day 2: Whitehaven to Penrith - Distance approximately 53 miles

After an early breakfast we transfer you from Newcastle or Penrith to Whitehaven. At a suitable point a general overview of the next few days of riding will be given.

Whitehaven Harbour marks the start of your ride and it’s only a few pedal strokes before you leave the somewhat industrial Cumbrian coast and reach some of the prettiest countryside in the UK. Initially following the Cumbrian Cycle Network, you will follow the route of a disused mineral railway to Kirkland. From here you follow quiet country lanes along an undulating route via Loweswater and Low Lorton to Whinlatter Pass. This is a good place for lunch and for those wishing to learn a little about the surrounding forest, the audio-visual presentation at the Whinlatter Forest Visitor Centre is well worth a look.

From here an excellent descent takes us through Braithwaite and Portinscale on the banks on the River Derwent to Keswick. Keswick is in a picturesque setting between the dramatic peak of Skiddaw and the lovely Derwentwater. This is a bustling town, the main centre for this part of the Lake District.

Leaving Keswick you follow another railway line, this time alongside the River Greta. You quickly pass near the sacred Castlerigg Stone Circle; a Bronze Age meeting place, followed by Threlkeld. The views here are wonderful. To the northwest stands Blencathra (868 metres) and to the southeast Great Dodd (856 metres) towers above Deepdale. The route is now one of quiet traffic free country lanes through hillsides dotted with small farms. Next place of interest is Greystoke Castle on which the legend of Tarzan is based and shortly afterwards you will arrive in Penrith. Your accommodation is centrally placed, enabling you absorb this bustling little town.

Day 3: Penrith to Stanhope - Distance approximately 43 miles

Today we encounter the hilliest and highest points on your trip. From Penrith you continue on to Edenhall and Langwathby. From here the route gets a little harder as you reach the highest café in England at Hartside (580 metres). Hopefully, because of the altitude it does not take the kettle too long to boil and you can enjoy a strong cup of northern tea and a slice of cake before you set off again, undulating into Garrigill. From here it's a short, but tough climb up and over into the old lead mining village of Nenthead. Climbing again you reach the highest point on the route, Black Hill (609 metres).

After crossing Killhope top, you reach Allenheads. Not only boasting it’s the highest village in England, it’s also home to one of the quirkiest pubs – The Allenheads Inn. Containing rooms full of bric-a-brac and nic-naks it’s a challenge to negotiate your way to the bar…never mind from it! Just a few more miles before we get to Rookhope.

From Rookhope there are two options - either off-road up and across Stanhope Common or down into Stanhope. Your accommodation for the night is just outside Stanhope.

Day 4: Stanhope to Tynemouth - Distance approximately 41 miles

With the hardest cycling behind, you head towards your goal of Tynemouth. Heading from your accommodation, you join the Waskerley Way which is a traffic free trail that takes in the rugged, expansive scenery of the North Pennines, and contours thankfully, pre-dominantly downhill to the once thriving steel town of Consett.

The route then follows a pleasant green route leading over numerous bridges and old railway viaducts and affording great views of the countryside. On reaching Gateshead and the impressive Baltic Arts Centre you cross the 'blinking eye' Millennium Bridge over the River Tyne into Newcastle. Waving to the ‘workers’ in the Skedaddle office, at the aptly named Byker, you complete your final few miles of the coast to coast along the side the River Tyne to Tynemouth. A dip of the front wheel in the sea at Tynemouth Castle & Priory and…

Congratulations - you’ve just Skedaddled the Coast to Coast!

We'll meet you in Tynemouth and load your bikes up for the return trip to Newcastle or Penrith, to either your car or train station.
  • jomoj
    We spent £120 a head on transfer, accomodation and food. You pays yer money...
  • lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    I agree with SRJUK - once at Rookhope head offroad, the route takes you over the moors to Parkside Cafe, excellent views and a great ride, and as a bonus you miss the killer climb out of Stanhope. Its not serious off road so you don't need a mountain bike to do it.
    I've always missed out Alston and turned off to Garygill halfway down Hartside pass, but out of Garygill there is a monster climb that seems to go on for ever! but again your reward is a great down hill to Nentheads, these roads are very quiet, then head out of Nentheads over the Allenheads and on to Rookhope, watch out for the cheeky little climb out of Allenheads too, i wasn't expecting it so late in my 2nd day! but then its pretty much a gentle downhill all the way into Rookhope.

Good to here they have managed to put something up to mark the finish point at Sunderland.

Personally i've never found glass to be a problem heading into and in sunderland, but i have heard on here and on the C2C website that other have seen quite a lot of glass on the route, guess i was lucky!!

The most important thing to remember is to enjoy the journey!!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730