iPhone or proper GPS

IrwinFletcher
IrwinFletcher Posts: 7
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
I've been mulling over a problem now for some weeks. I would like a GPS for the bike (actual a couple of bikes - so it needs to be easily interchangeable), but clearly it's an expensive toy. I tend to carry my phone with me anyway, but have found the GPS signal drops out it suffers from all the usual drawbacks (not waterproof, poor battery performance etc.) So here's my question: Do I change my iPhone into a bike super-computer with something like the wahoo ant+ kit and all the apps, or go for a proper GPS device, maybe one of the lower priced jobs, such as the bryton?

Anyone have much experience with either or want to offer some advice?

Thanks,

Fletch

Comments

• peter101cycle
    peter101cycle Posts: 298
    IMHO, GPS is over-rated......just go for a strong bike computer that has all the sensor functionality.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    IMHO GPS isn't over-rated :wink:

I'd get a Garmin. If nothing else its nice to have a proper record of your rides that you can look back on. I wouldn't get a Bryton over a Garmin for the sake of saving a couple of quid.

If you don't want maps then you can pick up an Edge 500 with HR/cadence for about £180.
    More problems but still living....
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    I don't have a proper gps but use my Android phone. It's not as good but much cheaper. Why not test a Garmin from a bike shop and see if you think it's worth the extra. The Garmin does give excellent after ride information and if you want a pretty and informative summary that's the one to get. If you do go phone gps the only thing I'd say is make sure you pick up an external powerpack as the apps tend to drain the battery quite a bit. My phone lasts around 3hrs running gps without the external powerpack. I use a powermonkey which costs around £30 and that approximately doubles the time...
  • Thanks for the advice Slim. Do you have a waterproof cover for the android? is there one that would do the phone and the powerack?
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    I have been in the same boat recently and have decided to stay with my iPhone and continue using cyclemeter. The only problem I have is battery life, but my iPhone is due an upgrade, so I'm going to hold out until June to see if they make an annoucemnet on the iPhone 5.
    Wanted the Garmin 500 but its £200+_ for the full package. I already have a cateye double wireless and a polar HRM so all bases covered.
  • amaferanga
    antlaff wrote:
    I have been in the same boat recently and have decided to stay with my iPhone and continue using cyclemeter. The only problem I have is battery life, but my iPhone is due an upgrade, so I'm going to hold out until June to see if they make an annoucemnet on the iPhone 5.
    Wanted the Garmin 500 but its £200+_ for the full package. I already have a cateye double wireless and a polar HRM so all bases covered.

You can get it for considerably less than £200 (with cadence and HR).

For all those considering a Garmin think about this: how many people that own a Garmin ever use their phone instead of the Garmin? I've had a Garmin of some kind for years and a smart phone for about the same time and not once have I thought I'll use the phone instead of the Garmin. they're simply in a different league.
  • antlaff
    amaferanga wrote:
    antlaff wrote:

You can get it for considerably less than £200 (with cadence and HR).

For all those considering a Garmin think about this: how many people that own a Garmin ever use their phone instead of the Garmin? I've had a Garmin of some kind for years and a smart phone for about the same time and not once have I thought I'll use the phone instead of the Garmin. they're simply in a different league.

can you advise who has it for considerably less than £200?
  • GoingCarbon
    GoingCarbon Posts: 99
    I'm an Apple fan, I'm on my 4th iPhone and have numerous Apple computers including an iPad...... feel free to call that sad. :lol:

I've tried both my iPhone (using various Apps) and my Garmin 305 with both the Garmin software and other superior online sites. And for me the Garmin is the clear winner.
  • antlaff wrote:

September was the last rumoured release date for the iphone 5 that i've seen

I've been using my Desire HD for the last couple of rides running endomondo and find it perfectly fine for my current needs.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    The biggest issue with using a phone is battery life. You can get extra battery packs etc, but it's a bit more of a faff.

Phones also don't do stuff like cadence or HR (although I'm sure you can get add-ons at a cost)

Other issues with phones is getting a decent mount for the bike (so that you can see it while riding) as well as it being water and shock proof.

All in all the Garmin's are not that expensive as you can get a Forerunner 305 for not much more than £100, which will give you the functionality of a mobile phone. It's just that for £200 the Edge 500 is nicer.... and a bit more and the 705 gives you routing/maps... and a bit more gives you a touch screen edge 800 :)

Personally I started off with using a phone... but made the switch after I had killed the battery when doing rides over around 3-4hrs (which is not ideal if the phone is your 'emergency' device)
    Simon
  • amaferanga
    antlaff wrote:

Handtec

(not in stock at the moment, but they will have stock soon - they're not like certain online retailers that advertise things at great prices but never have them in stock)
  • antlaff
    amaferanga wrote:
    antlaff wrote:

Handtec

(not in stock at the moment, but they will have stock soon - they're not like certain online retailers that advertise things at great prices but never have them in stock)[/quote

had been chasing them for stock update and gave up after 2 weeks now - thats why i had asked the question. Wiggle have it down to £200 until 2pm today less £5 but its the blue one and i want black.

will stick to rides under 4 hours and use my iphone until ???????
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    I use my android phone for things like navigation when out on the bike and I don’t know where I’m going. I also have a Garmin to record things like speed, candence, etc. The Garmin also has GPS built in. I use a 310xt. The benefits of the Garmin is that it records things that my Nexus One won’t (Cadence, etc), also the Garmin is more sport friendly in that you can customise the screens for what data you want to show. All the apps I found didn’t quite cut the mustard. Garmin also has their online Garmin Connect website to view all your data etc.

As you have an iphone you could consider a Biologic iphone bike mount, which is waterproof, they offer an iphone 3 and 4 version. Here is a link to the site: http://store.thinkbiologic.com/ if you google it you’ll find uk suppliers.

I use this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bike-Mount-Waterp ... 588c2b4256

It’s a fair bit cheaper and works well, though I haven’t tested how waterproof it is. One thing to note if you do consider the latter, you will need to superglue the detachable plate (which is on the handle bar mount) to the case (will make sense when you have it in your hands!). This will give a more secure hold.
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Personally I started off with using a phone... but made the switch after I had killed the battery when doing rides over around 3-4hrs (which is not ideal if the phone is your 'emergency' device)

Exactly the same as me. I had some fun with iPhone and Garmin Connect but ultimately I bought an Edge 500 and never looked back for a second. It's awesome and I'm looking forward to adding power meters into the equation at a later stage.

Example ride recorded with iPhone (limit of battery at 5 hours+)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/31985357

Example with the 190 quid Edge 500+Cad+HRM bundle from handtek
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/71664084
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I would say a dedicated GPS is well worth it, for reasons of battery life and durability especially, but several other advantages.

If you want full mapping and routing at a cheap price then consider the Garmin Dakota 20.

It is around £180, bike mounts another £10. Works with heart rate strap (I got mine for £26) and cadence sensor. It has a touch screen, is robust, and most importantly (for me) uses AA batteries rather than a built in Lithium battery (on touring holidays I can run it for weeks without needing mains charging, runs for 2 days on one set of NiMH AA's).

All my mapping is free, I use Talkytoaster's OSM + Contours, Velomap and MTB Britain OSM. I can also get similar Open Street Maps for my holidays (Spain, Netherlands, France etc).

It can show various screens, including mapping plus 4 data fields, or trip meter with 10 data fields (fully customisable from a choice of about 30, things like altitude, moving average, cadence, eta to next, etc etc).

All the data can be uploaded to Garmin Connect and entered into Garmin Training Centre on the pc (same as the edge series).

It can plan routes on or off road, and I can download routes from various online rout planning sites. I use Transport Direct's Cycle Journey Planner to find and download new and nicer routes for my various rides.

All in all, a dedicated GPS is fantastic, less fragile, easier to use, better reception, better mapping, etc.

Prior to this I used my Nokia with Sportstracker, which was good for data and bike computer functions but not so good for mapping or routing, and it was a bit of a worry re: potential damage. Also, the battery wouldn't go more than 4 hours with GPS running.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Stick with it for Handtec, unless you're desperate to get one, II got mine from then.

I wouldn't bother with GPS on the phone, anything over 5 hours and you'll be struggling to make a call if the worst happens and your battery is flat.
  • leejdavies
    leejdavies Posts: 217
    I use the strava app on my iPhone. Works well enough. I just pop the phone in my back and off I go although only good for rides up to a max. of 4hrs.

I see that they are doing an introductory offer for a Garmin Edge 500 for $249 + a membership to their site but I assume that's less than £200. May be available in UK. Worth a check.

https://app.strava.com/register/change

It's great for the competitive cyclist in you. Searches out climbs/descents on your routes that others have tagged and compares your time against everyone.
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • antlaff
    just sold a load of crap on fleabay and ordered from evans with the 5% so got the 500 black bundle for £213. Handtec dont stock the black and they are still waiting on stock on the blue.

it better give me an extra 1mph!!