New Mtb Need help

Jakbroad1
Jakbroad1 Posts: 12
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
Ive just bought a decent saracen off my friend but the only bad thing is there isnt a deraileur or a gear shift on the left side of the handle bar and the one on the right doesnt work, would i be best of getting a pair of these?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Alivio-M4 ... 415862a00f

Also i cant see any pretective material that pretects the wire does that come with it?
Also what deraileur would i be best of getting and would i need a holder?

Thanks!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is the rear mech shimano?

is the cassette 8spd?

you may well need to get gear outer and some ferules.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jakbroad1
    i dont have a rear mech, and yes it is, whats a gear outer and ferules?
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    Does it have a single ring at the front?
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • Jakbroad1
    the chain ring? its had 3 cogs..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Jakbroad1 wrote:
    i dont have a rear mech, and yes it is, whats a gear outer and ferules?

so what rear mech are you going to get?

have a read of Parktools for info on setting up gears and chosing the correct length for the gear outer cables.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Suggest you spend some time on the links in Nicklouse's sig, or this could turn into a game of 20 questions. You need to know what what things are called, what you have (number of speeds, front mech? etc) and what you need (ie. what's missing) and how they fit together (cables, ferrules etc).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Slow fingers again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To be clear, you have no rear mech/derrailleur (the bit the chain goes through), is there a hanger bracket for it?

You have no left or right shift lever?

Do you have a front mech (the bit the chain goes through that is attached at the bottom of the seat tube)?

How many gears are on the rear wheel (this dictates what rear mech and shifters you need)?

Some photos of your bars, rear end where the rear mech should be and front mech will help.

Perhaps you can ask your 'friend' what he did with the bits and what was fitted?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.