On One carbon 456 and wheelset

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone got any experience with the On One wheelsets? I'm looking at the Carbon 456 deal with revs and their own brand wheelset.

The weight seems ok, a little less than the standard wheels i've currently got on my Boardman.

As for the bundle as a whole? I'm after something a bit 'meatier' than the Boardman for trips to interesting places, without a major weight penalty, seeing as my local riding is fairly tame so I still want something 'quick'.

Thoughts appreciated....
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Seems a good deal, but the weights on the wheels are out. The seperate parts add up to more than their claimed weights. In fact I see this a lot on OnOne's site, overlooked details like this, or stuff that is just plain wrong.
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    supersonic wrote:
    Seems a good deal, but the weights on the wheels are out. The seperate parts add up to more than their claimed weights. In fact I see this a lot on OnOne's site, overlooked details like this, or stuff that is just plain wrong.

Interesting post Sonic. Cant speak for wheelsets but everthing I've had from On-One (that I've bothered to weigh) has been spot on. ie frame, stems, seat posts...err T-shirts :lol:
  • supersonic
    They just overlook stuff, or don't update lol. Will list a bike with one weight, then in the spec at the bottom is different. Or geo that doesn't match up lol. And those wheels certainly don't!
  • Fenred
    Yep fairplay, you have to watch them a little bit....Ive had forks off them that were coil and air weight was quoted...your're right...I lose :cry: lol....But own brand stuff has been generally acurate for me...Cant beleive you calculated individual wheel compoments :shock: My OH thinks im obsessed! I'm giving her your number!!! :lol:
  • supersonic
    Hehe, they just looked suspiciously light - and when I added up the bits, the spokes were made of air lol.
  • Fenred
    I've been considering those "air spokes" for my next wheel set but Im a little concerned about how to tension them with a standard spoke key.... :wink:
  • bails87
    What kind of weight would you reasonably expect?
    MTB/CX

• supersonic
    They still aren't tanks lol, but adding the parts up:

Hubs 305+255 (though adaptors not stated) = 560g
    Rims 2x480g = 960g
    Spokes 64 @ 380g for DT Comp = 380g
    Brass nipples 64 @ 65g = 65g

Total = 1965g.

They quote 1667g. So they are 300g more than they say if using those spokes at the 260mm lengths quoted for the weights by DT.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I have precisely the combination you are looking at, got it on the intro offer. Given that I (effectively) only paid £35 for the wheels, I can't complain.

The frame is fantastic, the forks are great, and the wheels work. Time will tell on bearings and rims, but so far they've been subjected to four days in north wales and they're off to the peaks tomorrow, so we'll see how they fare there. The bike as a whole, built up with mostly slx drivetrain and nuke proof kit, comes in about the same as my steel rock lobster with a reba, pro 2 on crests, mid range easton kit and pretty much identical drivetrain. Haven't weighed it though, so that's only on the heft test.

My only issue with the rims is that they're narrow- actually narrower than the crests on the lobster, which seems weird. I'm thinking about doing what I'd originally planned and sticking on flows on pro 2s.

If someone reminds me next week when I get back from the peaks I can weigh the wheels, if you want...
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • bails87
    Thanks. The wheels work out so cheap that I think I might as well get them!
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    bike-a-swan
    Are the forks the normal dual air? Or are they the dual position ones?
    MTB/CX

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    bails87 wrote:
    bike-a-swan
    Are the forks the normal dual air? Or are they the dual position ones?

From the website they appear to be standard dual air
  • bails87
    I thought they would be, no problem with that though.
    MTB/CX

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    They are the Dual Position Air ones according to the link in the offer. I got a pair on Wednesday and amazed at how light they are for the length. They are the full retail too inc pump, spare stickers, starnut etc but setup instructions for the settings.
  • bails87
    Return of the zombie thread......

I've just got some scales and weighed these wheels. They were 1784g (836g F/948g R), so almost bang in the middle between On One's claim and Super's estimate.
    MTB/CX

• Wheres the deal? Can`t find it on the site.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    Wheres the deal? Can`t find it on the site.

That's because the OP is nine months old :lol:

On topic. I was quite impressed with the On-One wheelset when I had them (on loan) for a short while, really light and pretty strong. Withstood the harshest descents on the Peak Distric no problem at all. I only didn't buy them because at the time they were £300.
  • bails87
    :lol:

Yep, it's from ages ago, it's just that I've only now found out how much they weigh.

The wheels are £150 now, which makes them pretty good value. The same price as Crossrides but 100g lighter and with adaptable hubs.
    MTB/CX

• supersonic
    I think OnOne must hjave got the front hub weight wrong, hubs of the type are usually circa 180g. I have to admit the actual wheel weight is a surprise, given the seperate parts! Does it have alloy nipples?
  • bails87
    supersonic wrote:
    I think OnOne must hjave got the front hub weight wrong, hubs of the type are usually circa 180g. I have to admit the actual wheel weight is a surprise, given the seperate parts! Does it have alloy nipples?
    Yep, alloy nipples. I was pleasantly suprised with the weight, makes it harder to justify a new set though :lol:
    MTB/CX

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Alloy nipples = rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    cooldad wrote:
    Alloy nipples = rubbish.
    I know, but they're on there and the wheel doesn't need truing, so they're not a problem.
    MTB/CX