Top german bike shop

jimexbox
jimexbox Posts: 200
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Bought a couple of Rockshox reverb seatposts (one for my brother) from H&S Discount GmBH Tuesday morning. A 30.9 x 380 and a 31.6 x 380, turned up today, Thursday. Now that's what I call service.

Price after CC company transferred price to pounds? £193 each delivered.

Comments

• Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    It's a better deal than buying in the UK, but my only reservation is if you have to send it back if there's a major problem with it, it's always going to be more hassle than buying here?

Otherwise I'd be tempted to snap it up from Jenson USA who according to current FX rate, offer it at around £179.51.

A store local to me sells it for £229 so I think I'll wait for it come down.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    jimexbox wrote:
    Bought a couple of Rockshox reverb seatposts (one for my brother) from H&S Discount GmBH Tuesday morning. A 30.9 x 380 and a 31.6 x 380, turned up today, Thursday. Now that's what I call service.

Price after CC company transferred price to pounds? £193 each delivered.

Nice one!

I've been looking at getting one for the last few weeks but that the best price I've seen, just placed an order and added another German site to my favorites.

This place is doing good deals on XT and SLX groupsets

http://www.actionsports.de/index.php?language=gb

I'm really not sure why German sites seem to be doing such healthy deals all of a sudden?
  • jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 200
    It's a better deal than buying in the UK, but my only reservation is if you have to send it back if there's a major problem with it, it's always going to be more hassle than buying here?

Otherwise I'd be tempted to snap it up from Jenson USA who according to current FX rate, offer it at around £179.51.

A store local to me sells it for £229 so I think I'll wait for it come down.

Only problem from buying outside of the EU is that you will be liable to pay customs duty/VAT on products you import. So that Jenson price will be way over £200. Plus if you're buying on your credit card, always a wise choice, the FX rate is not the one you get off your provider. You get a lower exchange rate, that how they cream off a percentage.

Buying from Germany wouldn't bother me either, an online retailer is an online retailer. My credit card company is jointly liable with the retailer, so any problems with them, they can sort it out.
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Been watching these German prices closely as i will be getting an slx crankset at the end of the month. As jimexbox says though, could run into difficulties if parts are defective.
    Have also noticed prices on merlin and crc have dropped twice in the last 5 weeks or so. Maybe they are taking notice of the competition from those sites! Anyway I'll more than likely be buying from merlin with the VIP price and they've been great in the past with customer service.
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    jimexbox wrote:

Only problem from buying outside of the EU is that you will be liable to pay customs duty/VAT on products you import. So that Jenson price will be way over £200. Plus if you're buying on your credit card, always a wise choice, the FX rate is not the one you get off your provider. You get a lower exchange rate, that how they cream off a percentage.

Buying from Germany wouldn't bother me either, an online retailer is an online retailer. My credit card company is jointly liable with the retailer, so any problems with them, they can sort it out.

Got ya, was looking at some earlier from the USA on ebay, £149 plus about another £27 shipping costs, in the end they will still end up at around £200 or more like you say.

I just wish I'd snapped up a gravity dropper long ago when I saw an offer over just over £100 for one, was new to MTB then though so wasn't sure whether I needed one.

The prices have shot up since as the demand is there in the market. Bugger. :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Interesting, looking for some new forks and they look like they re worth keeping an eye on...

I live in the NL so not so much of a big deal to send back for me (plus everything in NL is super expensive!!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    ddraver wrote:
    (plus everything in NL is super expensive!!)

I've heard there are girls in Amsterdam who will do anything for 25 euros.
  • camflet
    camflet Posts: 5
    mmmmmmm... not my experience of H&S..... i would avoid them...
    Ordered a Reverb trhying to save a few quid, over 3 weeks later still not got it...

Their customer service is woeful... still waiting for a second post that they claim to have sent out...

AVOID these MONKEYS...... pay the few quid extra and buy in the UK...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    NB - If you can pay with PayPal, the exchange rate is usually much better that with a credit card or (heaven forbid) a bank.

It's something to think about when you re spending 100's of pounds, I had a similar problem with Stiff recently who were quoting prices in Euros (at EUR/GBP 1.14 as opposed to 1.20 which is what it was at the time) but the price at the checkout was in pounds regardless.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    I got an SLX groupset last year from actionsports and an XT one this year from bike-components.de. Great prices on both and had no issues with delivery etc. Definitely worth checking out the German retailers for certain things as they can be better than CRC/Merlin.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have bought a few things from Bike24 they are most excellent. Competitive, efficient, responsive & polite.
  • Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    I've ordered some XT brakes from rosebikes as they were mega cheap and also some POC elbow pads from cypress-warehouse, both in Germany. I had to order the pads from germany as the UK distributors have not had any stock for month. It was a happy coincidence that they were on sale. All has arrived safely and I shall be shopping from germany again in the future. My next bike will probably be coming from the states or Canada though. The pricing difference is disgusting.