QR & axle, hope hub

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
i bought a bike for the missus a while back, the last day there i went to take out the QR, i think its ceased in the axle, its a hope hub, i tried penetrating oil then a wack with a hammer to ease it out but only popped the axle out, any advice on what to do with it?

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

cheers
scott

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    more hammer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supafly1982
    lol will do
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    might be an idea to put in a fork so you have a means of holding the axle in place while trying to get the Qr out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supafly1982
    nicklouse wrote:
    might be an idea to put in a fork so you have a means of holding the axle in place while trying to get the Qr out.

good idea, i was going to get a couple metal rods and place on the vice, will try the forks out first
  • supafly1982
    nicklouse wrote:
    more hammer.

more hammer and fork does not work, its solid!

should i try heat on the axle?then tap out the QR, i dont want to ruin it :?
  • supafly1982
    well the QR was stuck solid, pointless heating it as it would prop damage the integrity of the axle, i got it in a vice with some protection and gave it lots more hammer, believe it or not i brove the jaw off one of the vices, cast iron, just split, cheap old garbage, stuck it in a decent vice and the QR just mashed up.

i cut the lever off in the end up to get my bearings back :lol: