Vittoria Corsa Evo CX 21mm or 23mm?

Cornish-J
Cornish-J Posts: 978
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
looking at these tubs, which size would be better for short TT's?

what's the advantage/disadvantage of a 21mm?

Comments

• moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    ive always run 23mm (bith tubs and clinchers) - there are arguments that fatter 23mm tyres roll better than thin 19mm or 21mm tyres due to the bigger air chamber and are faster because of thism dispite the greater frontal area drag.

I used 23mm Corsa Evo CX tuns last year and they were faultless, but im using 24mm Pave's this year as the roads we race on are really poor and i want a slightly more robust tyre to avoid punctures.

That being said, the 23mm corsas didn't puncture, but they did cut up somewhat.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    What are the 24mm Paves like moonshine? good stuff?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Cornish-J wrote:
    looking at these tubs, which size would be better for short TT's?

what's the advantage/disadvantage of a 21mm?

Really depends on what rims you are using.

I have 21mm's on my 404's and they've been faultless, now starting their second season.
    But, my HED Stinger wheels require 22mm minimum (according to HED) for warranty purposes.
    So they're now running Veloflex Records... Awesome! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    21's (or smaller) on the front, 23's on the rear
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    using 21's this season but used 23's for part of last season for 10's and 25's tbh at my level I didn't realy notice much difference between the two and went for what was cheapest and available on Ribble - both are very good tubs
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    What are the 24mm Paves like moonshine? good stuff?

yip... really good stuff. They are probably ultimately not as fast as a Corsa, but they have definately been more cut resistant - the green surface has a light pyramydal texture to it, so they seem to offer a bit more grip on less than perfect tarmac. They do inspire lots of condidence and i am not so precious about where i ride - I was always a bit cautious on the Corsa Evos and was waiting for my first tub puncture on them (but it never came , althouth they did cut up a bit on pieces of glass.)

I think the Paves are excellent as a comprimise between feel, speed and puncuture resisance - I am not sure what difference they would make in pure time, but i'd rather finish a TT 2 sec slower than post a DNF (or even worse, DNS) due to a puncture, so they give confidence that that shouldn't be an issue.

I can also fit them (just) on my Ridley Dean TT bike

Finding them is the hard part!

G
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    anyone know what Corsa CR's are like?
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."