I require some bling

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
In the vein of a DonDaddyMe style thread

I've come to the conclusion I wont be allowed to sneak in a super carbon bike until one dies, so I've going to upgrade the bejesus out of it.

What I need from you guys for is recommendations on campag compatible wheels.... make it fast and make them able to carry 100kg of raw power :lol:

Also since I'm here, but old bike computer made a 2nd bid for freedom last night and I didn't notice until it was gone (the poor thing had prviously jumped under a car and was looking worse for wear, anything non garmin (I know about those) that I should be on the look out for?

cheers
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    is this what your aiming at?

Bling-Bike.gif
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Shamals. End of.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Greg66 wrote:
    Shamals. End of.

ooo they nice can they hold my weight? What are the hubs equivalent to?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=26107
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Shamals. End of.

Mr 66 has(d) them on Bike2 so they should be ok (heehee). They're quite a bit cheaper on wiggle, I think
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Shamals. End of.

Mr 66 has(d) them on Bike2 so they should be ok (heehee). They're quite a bit cheaper on wiggle, I think

And cheaper still on Ribble.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    edited May 2011
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Shamals. End of.

Oh, funny guy. Not all of us need to grab an anchor when the wind picks up, y'know.

There's no weight limit on them. Hubs (at least on mine) are carbon with Record internals. They're light, fast and bombproof (and I mean that last bit - I've never coddled mine and they are still bang on true). A rare combo, although if they were cheap as well, they'd be Jesus.

Also very highly regarded on weightweenies; possibly top dog as far as factory non-carbon clinchers go.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    thanks you kindly and the anchor comment made me chuckle, I've pushed Jon down hill before
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Hand builds innit ooh and a Gold Ti KMC chain natch :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    itboffin wrote:
    Hand builds innit ooh and a Gold Ti KMC chain natch :wink:

+1 Perhaps some lovely Phil Woods or Royce hubs, not sure of comparable rims - the kind of wheels you'd pass on to a suitably appreciative son or daughter
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Who says you can't get a carbon bike? Check out this thread for some tips on getting to the carbon for <£250. If there's not enough detail then check out the ~500 pages of detail over here. I'm now thinking of using one of these frames and forks as the basis of a new commuter and porting my existing chainset, wheels, brakes etc over.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    My bike has a carbon frame. Only 0.3% carbon, unfortunately :cry:
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Can I throw Neutrons into the mix? Just got a set second hand and they are fantastic, not aero but light and roll brilliantly. Think the hubs are record level?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Can I throw Neutrons into the mix? Just got a set second hand and they are fantastic, not aero but light and roll brilliantly. Think the hubs are record level?

I have some but their bling is subversive. People who still think deep rims are cool will just think they are a pair of Fulcrum 7s. Of course, the cognoscenti will appreciate them but I think CP wants to appeal to the C2, D and E's :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Who says you can't get a carbon bike? Check out this thread for some tips on getting to the carbon for <£250. If there's not enough detail then check out the ~500 pages of detail over here. I'm now thinking of using one of these frames and forks as the basis of a new commuter and porting my existing chainset, wheels, brakes etc over.

it's not the money as such(as it's my money), every time I've mentioned a new bike there's all sorts of bad noise from the FPO; upgrading an existing bike is ok as it can be stealthed more

thanks though, I'll have a look
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    When I jumped in here, I made some assumptions which may not be right, eg

- you want clinchers, not tubs
    - you don't want carbon clinchers
    - you want an alu braking surface.

If those are wrong, there's a bit more to choose from...

Waddyawannaspendy?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Greg66 wrote:

Waddyawannaspendy?

you assumed rightly as I'm toying with running two sets of wheels and the same braking surface

clinchers for sure

spendy is dependant on how nicey
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Waddyawannaspendy?

you assumed rightly as I'm toying with running two sets of wheels and the same braking surface

clinchers for sure

spendy is dependant on how nicey

In that case, as you were. I'd get the Shamals.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Hold the front page!

These puppies have just popped up on the radar, apparently at a trade show in Taiwan. Probably not out til later this year, maybe early next year.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Hold the front page!

These puppies have just popped up on the radar, apparently at a trade show in Taiwan. Probably not out til later this year, maybe early next year.

Based on my one experience of Campy wheels, agree with the comment on weightweenies abt them being bullet proof.

What abt Cosmic Carbones?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Stan's Alpha 340s & Planet X hubs.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Fulcrums. Ideally Racing 0 or Racing 1. Bombproof and bling. I've got both and have never had to true them.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got Racing 1s. I've just bought some Hope Pro3 RS Monos for commuting as my 2500 miles so far this year has seen me having to true the R1s every weekend.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I'm guessing that if IP and Asprilla went on a see-saw together, it wouldn't be much fun.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Fulcrums. Ideally Racing 0 or Racing 1. Bombproof and bling. I've got both and have never had to true them.

Probably a gross over-simplification, but aren't Fulcrum just Campag for people who don't run Campag? i.e. Racing 0 are more or less re-badged Shamals (or similar). I could be wrong about this, certainly nice looking wheels (my mate has the red Zeros - proper bling).
  • il_principe
    Fulcrum are owned by Campagnolo, but are not simply re-badged Campag wheels. AFAIK there are a number of design differences, but like Campag wheels they are (IME) excellent.
  • asprilla
    I'm guessing that if IP and Asprilla went on a see-saw together, it wouldn't be much fun.

You calling IP fat? Cos I'm only 69kg.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • il_principe
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm guessing that if IP and Asprilla went on a see-saw together, it wouldn't be much fun.

Heh, I'm 73. P'raps you got a duff rim... or are denial about your weight... :lol:
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

Heh, I'm 73. P'raps you got a duff rim... or are denial about your weight... :lol:

There may be an element of that, but just a small one... ;) 72kg at most.....

They are the only wheels I have at the moment and I don't coddle them at all. Getting new wheels on will let me get them to a professional to have a look at them. I actually had the rims replaced last year so I think it's just the monkey that fixed them hasn't finished the job properly..
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Fulcrum are owned by Campagnolo, but are not simply re-badged Campag wheels. AFAIK there are a number of design differences, but like Campag wheels they are (IME) excellent.

Well put. Fulcrum 3s and Zondas are identical apart from the spoke lacing pattern (Campag wheels use the G3 arrangement, Fulcrums the 2:1), Very happy with both my F5s and my Zondas. Most of the ranges have similar crossover now, I think.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011