OT: Ive been bitten!

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
by something with hankering for blood i reckon

my leg just above my sock is all inflamed, it was like this when i work up so took an antihistamine tablet but the swelling hasnt changed

i normally get bitten like mad every summer but haven't had a reaction like this before

i will try an take a pic

does anyone else get bitten on here?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    mudcow007 wrote:
    by something with hankering for blood i reckon

my leg just above my sock is all inflamed, it was like this when i work up so took an antihistamine tablet but the swelling hasnt changed

i normally get bitten like mad every summer but haven't had a reaction like this before

i will try an take a pic

does anyone else get bitten on here?

Horse fly perhaps, i've seen them around already - last year was a nightmare down here.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Sure do, I like to think I am tasty.. Only one on the arm so far this year.

Sounds like a Horsefly bite if its swollen that bad..
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I do but normally only abroad.

Got bitten on my shin a couple of years ago. Didn't hurt but had a 6 inch circular bruise type thing, deep purple for about two weeks!

I always seem to react worse than other people I am with if there is any biting going on. Never swolen up too badly though. Hope it goes down. We are the way insects pay back motorists and their windscreens!
  • mudcow007
    ive had a few nag fly bites in the past but they have never reacted like this, seems pretty angry to me?

IMG00034-20110505-1519.jpg

skinsosoft moisturizer from Avon is suppose to be really good as fly repellent, make you smell like a girl though....

looks like i might have to be getting my deet out!!
  • itboffin
    either that's a really poor image or you need to MTFU dude :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mudcow007
    ha its a really bad picture....cheapest nastiest blackberry
  • itboffin
    Horsefly bite, looks like a bruised knee ...?

IMG_0149.JPG

Nope that's my ankle

IMG_0150.JPG

Got that one standing outside a pub in Farringdon
  • mudcow007
    pfft call that a bite!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    antihistamine tablets are great for insect bites much better than creams etc.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    mudcow007 wrote:
    pfft call that a bite!

+1. I think we need a dose of MTFU as opposed to any cream or tablet.
  • Looks like a flea bite to me, they itch to high heaven.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    A tiger? In Africa?

Probably escaped from a zoo.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Got bitten by something last week on the forearm, still swollen now.
    I react badly to bites, sadly mosquitoes think I'm delicious.

Best have a precautionary GnT :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ive had a few nag fly bites in the past but they have never reacted like this, seems pretty angry to me?

IMG00034-20110505-1519.jpg

skinsosoft moisturizer from Avon is suppose to be really good as fly repellent, make you smell like a girl though....

looks like i might have to be getting my deet out!!
    Puberty has given me bigger spots than that...

Get a staple, pierce it. Press the juices out between two fingers. Put vaseline over the 'wound' :roll: If it hurts a little.

Sheesh.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mudcow007
    the pimperly spot thing is my sweet sweet leg juices oozing out, the bite is a hard lump across my leg, its really hot aswell.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Get a staple, pierce it. Press the juices out between two fingers. Put vaseline over the 'wound' :roll: If it hurts a little.

Sheesh.

:roll: And it'll be nice and infected by the morning. Treat as per mozzie bites: don't scratch it, don't pick it, keep it clean - a dab of savlon and maybe some sort of dressing if it's likely to get rubbed. If it gets infected it will take longer to go away and will scar - not the sort girls like either.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Speaking as a doctor, I'd say amputation is the only way out of this.

In my real job I'd say 'pfffft'.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    SimonAH wrote:
    A tiger? In Africa?

Probably escaped from a zoo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLdk2C25Z14
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    Horseflies are the devil incarnate. Still got scars from a couple I got a few years back. Horrible things :(
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • itboffin
    Erm if you do die can I have your bike(s) please? you know it'd be a waste otherwise :lol:
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    and can you shave your legs please..that hair is making me itch..
  • itboffin
    moonio wrote:
    and can you shave your legs please..that hair is making me itch..

I know horrible isnt it :lol:

Alps version of my smooth legs, oh look Castelli :lol:

4980216330_6dccf25ddb_z.jpg
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Now that is the second photo I've seen you.take of.your.own legs. This.is starting to look like some form of narcisstic perversion old bean.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • roundthebend
    roundthebend Posts: 205
    I get attacked by little black flies most years. They tend to live near standing water or on lawns and when they bite they often draw blood out onto the skin.

I "think" they are called Blandford Flies.
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    It hadn't occurred to me that the delightful Badger-brewed drink (more like ginger beer than anything else) was named after an actual fly!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    pianoleo wrote:
    It hadn't occurred to me that the delightful Badger-brewed drink (more like ginger beer than anything else) was named after an actual fly!

Eh? It's written on the bottle.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Oh MTFU....a couple years back I was hospitalised at 2am to have piriton injected into the vein due to horsefly bites on my leg (6 bites, double the size of that). That horse fly has simply taken a nibble. :lol:

That was a fun night in the RD&E....not
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Best thing to do with horsefly bites is not to have them. Bloke I used to work with came in one day with a really horrible painful boil on his arm, which was swelling noticeably and getting worse during the day. He wanted to MTFU and ignore, cos that's the type of hero he was, but eventually we got him to go to the first aider. The first aider lanced it and wiggy worms about an inch long came out, hundreds of 'em. And they'd eaten a hole in the flesh of his arm!

Guy in Casualty, cos that's where it all ended up, reckoned horsefly bites are always infected with something.
  • itboffin
    SimonAH wrote:
    Now that is the second photo I've seen you.take of.your.own legs. This.is starting to look like some form of narcisstic perversion old bean.

:roll:

Would that not be the third photo of my legs including the one with a bite?
  • itboffin
    Pah! horsefly

100_4326.JPG