Time trialling in Scotland, England and Wales

rls
rls Posts: 44
edited May 2011 in Amateur race
Hi Everyone,

I currently live in northern Scotland and am a member of a BC affiliated club, and hold a silver BC membership. I am about to be spending quite a lot of time in England and Wales and will be interested in time trialling and racing throughout the UK. Due to the way the CTT works in England/Wales, but not in Scotland, does anyone know if I need to be a member of an English or Welsh club as well as my current Scottish one?

Richard

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    To do an open time trial, you need to be a member of a club affiliated with the CTT.
  • rls
    I emailed Andy Cosgrove at CTT just after putting the post up and he's just advised that CTT have an arrangement with SCU, so that Scottish clubs don't need to be affiliated with the CTT for their members to be able to take part in English and Welsh time trials.

Thanks to Andy for the superfast reply, I'd emailed a couple of English clubs and had no response, so I was expecting him to take a bit longer than 19 minutes to get back to me :)
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Yup, FTR, an excert from the rule book.....
    7. Who may compete

Competitors must be either:

a) members of clubs directly affiliated to the Company* or of the Headquarters' Club, or

b) schools' representatives when riding in G.H.S. Championship events. or

c) first claim members of clubs affiliated to the Scottish Cyclists Union (S.C.U.), or

d) members of overseas clubs affiliated through their National Governing Body to the Union Cycliste Internationale (U.C.I.).

Members of clubs as defined in (a), (c) and (d) above may compete as a member of a national or regional representative team. All overseas riders must present their current racing licence or membership card to the designated official prior to starting.

The minimum age for competitors when competing on a solo machine in events on the public highway is 12 years.**

* Individuals who are not members of clubs may be allowed to compete in designated "Come & Try It" events.
    ** Competitors under 12 may compete in events that are held on closed roads or off the public highway (parks, motor racing circuits etc.)"
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    RLS - Correct about SCU, our club (GS Metro) was registered with SCU for a good few years when the sec lived in Fife, he has moved back to NE England so we are CTT affiliated)

The only advice I would give you is make sure you take your BC licence along to every event in England and Wales - some organisers insist on seeing it. If entering national champs then give the organiser a call after your entry has been sent to explain the situation as it appears in my experience confusion still exists about SCU / CTT agreement.
  • rls
    celbianchi wrote:
    RLS - Correct about SCU, our club (GS Metro) was registered with SCU for a good few years when the sec lived in Fife, he has moved back to NE England so we are CTT affiliated)

The only advice I would give you is make sure you take your BC licence along to every event in England and Wales - some organisers insist on seeing it. If entering national champs then give the organiser a call after your entry has been sent to explain the situation as it appears in my experience confusion still exists about SCU / CTT agreement.

Sound advice, thanks :)
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Also have a look at some of the technical rules. I think SCU operate under UCI rules for time trials and CTT have their own rules.

This is why Mr Wiggins got in trouble over the wheel he used at an open 10, and I think people who have come down south of the border for the nationals have had to hacksaw bits off their bikes before being able to ride!

http://teamswc.wordpress.com/

celbianchi I was wondering where GS Metro were based as there was someone at a local club 10 the other night in the kit and I'd not seen it before.
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    hammerite wrote:
    Also have a look at some of the technical rules. I think SCU operate under UCI rules for time trials and CTT have their own rules.

This is why Mr Wiggins got in trouble over the wheel he used at an open 10, and I think people who have come down south of the border for the nationals have had to hacksaw bits off their bikes before being able to ride!

http://teamswc.wordpress.com/

celbianchi I was wondering where GS Metro were based as there was someone at a local club 10 the other night in the kit and I'd not seen it before.

Was that the Icknield club 10? If so it was my partner, Dawn. she works in MK 2 days a week so brings her bike down to do the midweek 10?