AV then. Yes or No?

Comments

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Zb9tJ.png

Tongue in cheek I know but still makes the point eloquently.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Greg66 wrote:
    Yes for me. It's a much simpler system:

avcomplicatedflowchart.png

I for one am sick of people saying that they would like to vote in a certain way, but that they still vote for one of the two main parties, because they can't stand the other lot.

Can I be the only person to find this flow chart risibly contrived?

FPTP: (1) select candidate you wish to vote for (2) put X by their name.
    AV: (1) place candidates in order of preference (2) write down numbers.

That tactical analysis nonsense is just that; moreover, there's no reason why, if you were minded to feck around like that in the booth, you would do it times n in an AV system. No one think that AV will end tactical voting; the tactics are different, that's all.

Not in the least, Mr. 66, I find it to be quite accurate. It may not be the case for someone who ideologically fits with one of the two major parties, but I don't particularly. I would say that AV would end the current form of tactical voting, as in "I would really like to vote for X, but Y is better than Z and as we all know, round here only Y and Z have any chance, so I'll vote for Y.

I quite like a system where even though the results will most likely be the same, as Y would be my second choice, at least people will be able to look and see the support for other ideas. We are starting to vote much more for "Others" as a country, FPTP only really works with two main parties, in my opinion.

Hold on, you're in Scotland. So the "what will everyone else vote" is "Labour in spades", and you will never get to the third possibility of not voting for your first preference candidate. Surely you worked that out years ago.

Google AV tactical voting to discover a panorama of voting tactics under AV...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    English people aren't smart enough to understand any alternative voting systems

Most of you can just about form a X on a bit of paper.

FACT
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    H. Similarly, FPTP is capable of producing some silly results. It's far too crude for modern democracy.

Wasn't there an election in the 70s where the Tories got more votes than Labour, but Labour ended up with a majority of seats? So they were able to pass any legislation they wanted, assuming the rest of the party supported it, despite having not just a minority of the voters, but an even smaller minority than the Tories.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • tailwindhome
    edited May 2011
    Greg66 wrote:

Why is tactical voting always portrayed as something negative?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Great debate guys. Some of the arguements put forward here are actually stronger than those put through more official channels.

My mind had been made up before, but here at least, the arguements for Yes appear to me to be more compelling.

Interestingly, a Polling Clerk has told me that they are unable to explain the 2 systems for fear of influencing the vote, so for devilment I shall be sure to ask for clarification this evening.

Whichever system we end up with I would like to be able to select a 'none of the above' option. I do feel it is a duty to cast a vote and have in the past spoiled my paper rather than favour any of the options offered.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Av is used in hereditary peer by-elections for the HoL isn't it?

Its also used to elect leaders of the party - in fact David Cameron benefitted from it as under FPTP then David Davies would be the leader of the tories. David Milliband would have been leader for Labour not Ed.
    Good enough for MP's but not for us it seems.
  • bails87
    Why is it even called First Past The Post? Surely there is no post, there's more of a 'post' in AV.
    MTB/CX

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    You can now get 36/1 on a YES vote on betfair.

.... so it'll be a NO vote. What does Clegg do then?

You get a once in a lifetime chance to have a say in a coalition. You get a few big policies you can put forward or veto. You ignore charging students 9k/year because you want to make a minor, rather pointless change to the voting system .... you're finished.

I expect an election before the year is finished.
    exercise.png
  • tailwindhome
    bails87 wrote:
    H. Similarly, FPTP is capable of producing some silly results. It's far too crude for modern democracy.

Wasn't there an election in the 70s where the Tories got more votes than Labour, but Labour ended up with a majority of seats? So they were able to pass any legislation they wanted, assuming the rest of the party supported it, despite having not just a minority of the voters, but an even smaller minority than the Tories.

Surely the 'unfairness' in the system is more to do with constituency boundaries which result in safe seats and render many votes worthless.

Can't see AV making much difference
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Hold on, you're in Scotland. So the "what will everyone else vote" is "Labour in spades", and you will never get to the third possibility of not voting for your first preference candidate. Surely you worked that out years ago.

I may be in Scotland now, but I grew up in the North East of England... I see your point, actually.
    No2Av wrote:
    For example, in a three way seat where both Labour and the Liberal Democrats were in danger of coming last, a Conservative might be tempted to give their first preference to Labour, for fear a Labour elimination would mean a hefty vote transfer to the Lib Dems.

That's the most ridiculous pile of tosh I've ever seen written.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    No2Av wrote:
    For example, in a three way seat where both Labour and the Liberal Democrats were in danger of coming last, a Conservative might be tempted to give their first preference to Labour, for fear a Labour elimination would mean a hefty vote transfer to the Lib Dems.

Haha, +1
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    English people aren't smart enough to understand any alternative voting systems

Most of you can just about form a X on a bit of paper.

FACT
    :lol:
    I cut my voting teeth on PR, may be why I'm not finding AV too tricky...
    Misguided Idealist
  • tailwindhome
    No2Av wrote:

Why do you think this is ridiculous?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Referendum Result Odds

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/pol ... um/spreads

Turnout Odds more than 40% is favourite surprisingly

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/pol ... ut/spreads
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,389
    Sorry to back track a bit, but
    CiB wrote:
    First Past The Post has served us well enough for donkey's years.
    FPTP was introduced into a two party state, where most people didn't even have the vote.

And when you say 'us' you are excluding all those who don't vote Tory or Labour, but who are unfortunately more evenly distributed across the country, rather than concentrated in particular constituencies.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • No2Av wrote:

Why do you think this is ridiculous?

Because the thought that anyone would be stupid enough to think that the best way for their party to win would be to vote for the party they can't stand in the blind-hope that they manage to eliminate a third party that they don't dislike too much. They obviously didn't think through the bit where their vote actually still counts for the bunch they can't stand in the next round...
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Greg66 wrote:

Why is tactical voting always portrayed as something negative?

Hehehe. Ask Polly Toynbee. She told people to vote tactically for the LDs last election, to keep the Tories out. Her post-coalition apoplexy-fuelled TV appearance was one of the funniest things I have seen in years.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited May 2011
    rjsterry wrote:
    Sorry to back track a bit, but
    CiB wrote:
    First Past The Post has served us well enough for donkey's years.
    FPTP was introduced into a two party state, where most people didn't even have the vote.

And when you say 'us' you are excluding all those who don't vote Tory or Labour, but who are unfortunately more evenly distributed across the country, rather than concentrated in particular constituencies.

This.

As mentioned before, FPTP renders my vote null and void, and has never served me well.

Still I'm glad that those in a few marginal seats somewhere miles away from me get to decide who governs the country; I'd hate the responsibility.

AV isn't what I really want, but it's better than FPTP. Also, voting got me an extra miles for the Sill Commuter Stats.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    I bet you YES voters also voted for Boris

didn't you! :twisted:

that's it... outside
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg66 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    No.

Once you start pandering to the wishes of people who (a) lose elections and (b) claim that the electoral system is unfair (because they lost, it seems), you'll be fiddling with the voting system until your children die of old age.

so you agree with the daily mail, the bnp and the conservatives*

*see my earlier post

On this, yes.

I think you'll find I also agree with John Reid, John Prescott, Margaret Beckett and David Blunkett.

Who've you got?

Clegg the diabolical turncoat, and the adenoidal senior prefect.

Oh, and Balls up.

I win.

FACT!

Anrmando Annuci or however it's spelled
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    NO
    It makes not a jot of difference who gets elected they say what we want to hear then when there in the club all their promises hit the buffers
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So we're meant to use a deeply flawed election system to decide on whether to use another deeply flawed election system that isn't actually the flawed election system the 3rd least unpopular party in power want?

Did I get that right?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    tobermory wrote:
    NO
    It makes not a jot of difference who gets elected they say what we want to hear then when there in the club all their promises hit the buffers

Yeah, show em! Fight the Man with inaction and apathy!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,389
    edited May 2011
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/michaelcrick/2010/02/how_av_made_cameron_tory_leade.html

Turns out you can bite the hand that feeds. True the system is not exactly the same as AV as each round is independent, but it's certainly not FPTP.

Just to be clear, I am not advocating this position, I just think it's interesting that it hasn't been picked up on more, and that Cameron seems to be so vehemently opposed to anything other than FPTP.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    dhope wrote:
    tobermory wrote:
    NO

Yeah, show em! Fight the Man with inaction and apathy!
    How the hell do you know what i do make assumptions you can't back up
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Yes
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

Surely the 'unfairness' in the system is more to do with constituency boundaries which result in safe seats and render many votes worthless.

Can't see AV making much difference

No, it won't, it was just I've seen people who seemed to be of the opinion that while it's not very good at showing the preferences of voters for smaller parties, we do at least get the government that the biggest group of people voted for. Just showing that's not true. Not that it would be any more true under AV.
    MTB/CX

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    has you the will to Reform? yesnomaybe

Reform Cat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHuiDD_ ... e=youtu.be
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    So we're meant to use a deeply flawed election system to decide on whether to use another deeply flawed election system that isn't actually the flawed election system the 3rd least unpopular party in power want?

Did I get that right?

Nope. FPTP works fine when you have a choice of two options.