FSA Headset / Crown race question - Genesis Core 40 2009

Slow Loris
Slow Loris Posts: 128
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Just wanted to start by saying thanks to the people of this forum for unknowingly helping me out many a time when I have found answers by searching here - however this time I am unable to find an answer anywhere so was hoping for some advice on my current self inflicted problem..

I have a 2009 Genesis Core 40 (the orange one) - a lovely bike, but I recently broke the recon fork and decided I'd replace it myself without the proper tools.. Sooo, all was going well until I tried to get the old crown race onto the new fork - I managed to put a couple of pits/scratches into the sloping surface of the race. The damage isn't too bad, but I do not know myself whether it would be a problem if I continued with a not-perfectly-smooth crown race, so to be on the safe side I wanted to get a replacement.

However I can't find any manuals or spec list that tells me what model of FSA headset it is, or what replacement crown race I need. I'd rather not have to get a whole new headset either!

Does anyone out there know what part I need and if they're easy to get hold of? Or should I continue with the old race?

Many thanks

Steve
2011 Genesis Latitude
2009 GT Transeo 3.0

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is a downloadable PDF of all FSA headsets in the tech links "sticky" above. it has all the info you need.

is it an actual race? do the alls run on it directly? if No and it is only the cartridge bearing that sits on it then it could we be OK as is.

Pics are always good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Slow Loris
    Thanks that's great. There is a sloping surface on the underside of the bottom headset bit that sits on the surface of the crown race. The bearings are visible inside the headset. In that case you think the race should still be ok to use?

The pdf looks like it might be helpful but I don't recognise the set I have in any of the pictures. Hopefully someone has the Genesis specs - I've already emailed Genesis but not got a reply yet.

Thanks

Steve
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so the balls dont actually touch the crown race?

you should be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Slow Loris
    That's right - the balls definitely don't touch (as it were) :?

I think I'll try gently sanding off any major bits of sticky up metal and reusing the race. I guess the worst that can happen is I'll need a new headset after a while, but as it looks like it's not a moving part it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your advice nicklouse!

Steve
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0