Help !

Crashtestmonk
Crashtestmonk Posts: 10
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Hi,
This is my first post as I am new to the forum. I decided a couple of weeks ago to start riding to work. A brilliant bloke at work has sorted a shower out for me. I am getting used to the commute now, I ride 13 miles into work then work a 12 hour shift so at the minute I haven't been riding home, I have been getting lifts home and putting the bike in a mates car. My question really is how long should I leave it before I attempt the ride home? I am worried that I will attempt the full 26 miles round trip and feel fed up with it. My fitness isn't great I do the 13 miles in roughly an hour in a hilly area. I have looked at riding part way home with use of a train etc but the times just dont match.
If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I say just go for it. Just take your time on the way in, to avoid knackering yourself for the ride home.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    When you can comfortably do the 13 miles one way, then work towards riding home one day at a time.

I started riding both ways one day a week, then two, then three and have been doing five days now for nearly 3 years.

My journey is 12 miles one way. Often I feel knackered by the end of the working day, but when I jump on the bike for the homeward commute, I come to life and freshen up.
  • Thanks for the advice guys
  • samivel
    samivel Posts: 81
    I started riding in one day then home the next giving you 65 miles a week. Once I was happy with that I moved to riding in and home on Mon Wed and Fri. Only increasing the journey by 1 and then gradually moving up to a full week.
    Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
    Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge
  • I am planning on my first full commute on Sunday, the weather forecast isn't great but if I can do it when it's chucking it down I will be ok the rest of the time
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    With a 12 hour shift + 1hour ride time, are you doing any of the trip in the dark?
    If not, its best to get used to it while the light+warmth are on your side.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    You're fitter than you think, dude. 8)

13 miles (at 13 mph, over hills), 12 hour shift, and contemplating riding home.

Not shabby! 8)

Have a good ride on Sunday!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Ha cheers, I start my ride at 530 get to work for 630 have a nice warm shower, breakfast etc and start work at 7 so would be setting off at 7 at night what time does it get dark these days ?
  • 13 hilly miles in a hour is a decent speed mate.

1 suggestion... if your mate is driving you all the way home at the minute, why not get him/her to drop you off half way home for a couple of nights and ride from there... maybe make the lifts shorter each night.

Another thing I would say is for me, and everybody is different, 26 miles a day would be too much for a whole week... If you do ride both ways I would maybe do it 3 or 4 days a week having a break in the middle or something.
  • 13 hilly miles in a hour is a decent speed mate.

1 suggestion... if your mate is driving you all the way home at the minute, why not get him/her to drop you off half way home for a couple of nights and ride from there... maybe make the lifts shorter each night.

Another thing I would say is for me, and everybody is different, 26 miles a day would be too much for a whole week... If you do ride both ways I would maybe do it 3 or 4 days a week having a break in the middle or something.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Well done on riding in but don't forget that food is fuel.

Make sure you eat properly so that you get energy when you need it.
    Lots of cycle commuters (me included) are great believers in having two breakfasts, one at home and a second one when you get to work. Porridge for breakfast 1 is ideal. Breakfast 2 can be pretty much whatever you want it to be.

To make sure you have energy for the ride back (when you start doing it) don't forget to eat something to fuel you for the way home. Many people swear by Soreen fruit loaf or something similar.

I really like your attitude to riding on Sunday when the weather is bad. If you can do it when it is windy/rainy/cold etc you can do it in any weather.

Good work. Keep it up.

I have a down side for you though: Whatever you are saving on travel costs by cycling, you will probably spend on extra food! A friend of mine says she eats like a pig when she cycles to work (about 100 miles/week) and the weight still just falls off.

Eat more, travel to work and lose weight. What a great form of exercise!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I could do with losing a few pounds lol, I tend to have an energy drink and banana when I get up as anything heavier repeats on me for the whole ride! When I get to work I have a protein shake and porridge sometimes mixed together if I am feeling lazy. Cheers for the advice I hadnt put to much thought into fueling the homeward bound trip