Subway 2 LE or 2

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Which is the better equipped bike? I've had a look in the store, one is Shimano other is SRAM

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65534#dtab

Don't like the SRAM shifters, the shift up lever (one at the back/bottom) is tricky, the thumb one is ok though. The Shimano one although similar is easier.
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    With SRAM you press both buttons with your thumb. If you're trying to do it with your finger then that's probably why you're finding it hard!

I'd go with the standard one just to avoid the 7 speed stuff.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • father_jack
    hmm ok sounds like the gear part should be rotated a bit if I'm struggling.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Have to disagree with bails87 (sorry :oops:) My wife's bike has SRAM X-4 shifters (2009). The two levers are on the same pivot. To change one way you press the top leaver away from you with your thumb. To shift back you have to press from the other side with your index finger. I personally do not like using them. If you don't like these shifters I'd recommend the bike with the Shimano equipment. If you feel you can live with the X4 then both bikes are as good as each other.

SRAM have a good bit on theirsite about setting up brakes and mention shifters
    Your brake levers are in position—now it's time to move the shifters into place. It's very easy. All you need to do is grip the bars like you are riding again, and extend your thumb like you are going to shift. With your thumb extended, just move the shifter until it touches it in a comfortable spot. It's okay for this to feel like a little bit of a stretch, because you don't shift as often as you brake, and you still have four fingers on the bar anyway.
    If you follow this guide it may help sort out the shifter rotation correctly for you.
    Steve C
  • father_jack
    Ignoring everything else, which is the better equipped bike?