On One Pompetamine Versa

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Any owners on here of the above?

I'm still thinking of a new bike and keep getting drawn to the Versa On One, it seems really good value at £800.

My real wants are:

Drop bars (obviously!)
Full mudguard clearance
Rack fittings
White frame (sad but true).

I'm happy to try the Alfine hub and not that worried about waiting for the 11 speed - plus I think the 11 speed will add another £400 to the price tag.

Any comments? Ta!

Comments

• Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I can't comment on the Pompetamine but I love my Pompino, and they're meant to share a very similar design. Mine has full (SKS) mudguards and has fittings for a rack, though I haven't bothered with that. I'm running 28mm Marathons which are a bit of a squeeze on the track rims, but the Pompetamine should hopefully have wider rims to give you even more choice.

I commute on it, use it as winter trainer, have even ridden gentle off-road with no problems apart from mud clogging the close-fitting guards - still got through.

You can get Versa 11-speed shifters (see http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/11-speed-versa-vrs11-sti-levers-for-internal-gear-hubs-prod25221/) and the 11-speed hub is alleged to be much better ..... might be worth giving on-one a call to discuss a shifter-less bike discount.

Do it !
    Misguided Idealist
  • essex-commuter
    edited May 2011
    Imight be worth giving on-one a call to discuss a shifter-less bike discount.
    Do it !

That was a great idea. I called them and they can...but I don't get the pricing and they couldn't explain it!

8 speed Versa Pompetamine - £799
    Build me an 11 speed without shifters (SJS £200) - £1100 albeit with a Shimano dyno hub.

So that would cost me approx £500 more than the 8 speed and I gain just a dyno hub (can wait for no dyno wheel to be built, he couldn't tell me how much cheaper but it's going to be about £80 I reckon, tops). What am I missing!
  • marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    HI iv been using this set up all bar riser bars for 6 months now its great cant fault it , iv been using the alfine for about 3 years now ,on various comuter bikes but the pompetermine is the 1st made for purpose 1 iv had . no clearance issues or anything if you want any info in particular just ask :lol:
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I used the 8 speed alfine when i had a genesis day 01.
    Something to note is the space between the gears, the jumps in some cases are nearly 10 gear inches!
    This means when you change up gears it's hard to accelerate without getting out of the saddle. Rather annoying when you are used to a cassette with close ratios and when riding in a city.
  • essex-commuter
    It's the big gaps that are making me want the 11 speed.

Seems more hassle than it's worth at the moment, I might just spec a winter trainer via Ribble with 10 speed Campag and then get the frame powder coated white for about £70.
  • Fireblade96
    Get a Pompino.
    1 gear, no gaps, no problem.

:lol:
    Misguided Idealist
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    I have the Pompetamine Versa 'Pro' (don't think they sell this anymore though). Essentially the same bike, I think some of the fittings were a little nicer.

Had it since Christmas, used for a 12 mile daily round commute in the London suburbs with loaded panniers, and light touring now the weather's getting better.

I was tempted by the 11 speed version, but they had no drop bar version at the time, and it would have added another £200 even with flats. I might treat myself to an upgrade next year, but the Alfine 8 is really very good...

It got me up Ditchling Beacon comfortably last weekend. I run a 20t on the back.

Basically, I utterly adore this bike, it is pretty much perfect for my needs.
  • essex-commuter
    Bi50N wrote:
    I have the Pompetamine Versa 'Pro' (don't think they sell this anymore though). Essentially the same bike, I think some of the fittings were a little nicer.

Had it since Christmas, used for a 12 mile daily round commute in the London suburbs with loaded panniers, and light touring now the weather's getting better.

I was tempted by the 11 speed version, but they had no drop bar version at the time, and it would have added another £200 even with flats. I might treat myself to an upgrade next year, but the Alfine 8 is really very good...

It got me up Ditchling Beacon comfortably last weekend. I run a 20t on the back.

Basically, I utterly adore this bike, it is pretty much perfect for my needs.

Ooh wouldn't mind a look at that. Do you ever venture East of London, or could I perhaps meet up somewhere your way? Private message would be good.

I'm terrible at making decisions!
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I'm having this exact dilemma. Did on-one say they would be getting the versa 11 shifter in? Sounds like there is little stock anywhere and I'd be tempted by the shifterless build (I want a hub dyno) but don't want to be left without shifters for months...
  • essex-commuter
    jedster wrote:
    I'm having this exact dilemma. Did on-one say they would be getting the versa 11 shifter in? Sounds like there is little stock anywhere and I'd be tempted by the shifterless build (I want a hub dyno) but don't want to be left without shifters for months...

They have no date on them yet, but SJS have them in stock! Don't you think the price hike is a bit much though, the shifters are only £17 more than the 8's and the Alfine is about £170 more. That's +£330 to gain a dyno hub????
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    Do On-One only sell online or are there shops where you can actually try one?

Any opinions about the Alfine versions of On-One Pompetamine vs Genesis Day One?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I suggest you wait. My prediction is that there will be numerous drop-bar 11-speed Alfines on the market this time next year. The Ribble sounds good to me.
  • gaz545
    redhanded wrote:

Any opinions about the Alfine versions of On-One Pompetamine vs Genesis Day One?
    I had the Genesis Day One, and after +2,000 miles i had to return it to the bike shop and get my money back as the brakes where shocking. Tektro lyras with shimano rotors are not good!!

Another small point about the versa shifter, certainly try before you buy. The shifting on it isn't like other shifters, it's very hard to shift to an easier gear whilst braking. Which isn't essential on a hub gear, it's still a pain in moving traffic where you know you need to change down.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    gaz545 wrote:
    redhanded wrote:

I had the Genesis Day One, and after +2,000 miles i had to return it to the bike shop and get my money back as the brakes where shocking. Tektro lyras with shimano rotors are not good!!

Are they worse than decent well set-up rim brakes?
    Another small point about the versa shifter, certainly try before you buy. The shifting on it isn't like other shifters, it's very hard to shift to an easier gear whilst braking. Which isn't essential on a hub gear, it's still a pain in moving traffic where you know you need to change down.

Is that something you "learn around"? I.e. could you adjust your riding to compensate?

Seriously considering an all-weather commuter, in steel, and the Day 01 Alfine looks to be it. I'm not sure about the Pompetamine; although it's got significantly prettier forks, the cable routing under the top tube annoys me more than it should.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • gaz545
    davis wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:
    redhanded wrote:

Are they worse than decent well set-up rim brakes?

Is that something you "learn around"? I.e. could you adjust your riding to compensate?

Seriously considering an all-weather commuter, in steel, and the Day 01 Alfine looks to be it. I'm not sure about the Pompetamine; although it's got significantly prettier forks, the cable routing under the top tube annoys me more than it should.

Much worse. The first problem will be pad alignment. Due to using Shimano pads with a tektro lyra calliper the pads at first will mostly be rubbing on the rotor arms, which means when you brake with the front brake you will get some serious judder in the front forks due to uneven braking surface.
    The two main problems for me where the re-adjusting. I had to re-adjust the rear brake at least 4 times a week and the front at least twice. The second being the rear brake actually not working. I would pull on the rear brake and it would start to bite on the rotor but then all of a sudden it would 'let' go and i would no longer have any braking power from the rear brake.
    It went in for 7 services in just over 5 months. I bought the bike to be an easy to maintain commuter and it was far from it. *all of this is based on my own personal experience with the bike.

You can learn around the issue with shifting down. It's not really a problem, more a niggle.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    gaz545 wrote:
    It went in for 7 services in just over 5 months. I bought the bike to be an easy to maintain commuter and it was far from it. *all of this is based on my own personal experience with the bike.

Ok, with experiences like that, I think I'll wait. Thanks.

By the time I get back on a bike perhaps the 11-speed will have filtered through, and there will be a steel drop-bar, with 'guards and rack mounts, and decent disks too. (And forks with sweep, please - Genesis I'm looking at you)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87

Ooh wouldn't mind a look at that. Do you ever venture East of London, or could I perhaps meet up somewhere your way? Private message would be good.

I'm terrible at making decisions!

Unlikely sorry. I'm doing a ride from Portsmouth > Canterbury in mid July, that's the only East of London in my plans...

I tried the Day 01 before settling on the Pomp and thought that rode really well too - it was probably my first choice as I really like the look (hey, my other bike is also orange). I couldn't use my C2W voucher at that store though, and then in the meantime I heard several reports about the brake / fork issue, and lots of high praise for the Pomp. So I took the plunge and ordered it. No regrets.

So if you want to get a rough idea of how it all works together, I suggest you try and take a Day 01 for a test ride

Re: the 11 with Versa shifters - I think On One said they'd have built bikes but late summer. The additional cost is in the hub and fittings, the shifters are similar price to the 8's. If you can wait until then, a Pomp with an 11 would be pretty special... But I've found the 8 to be more than adequate for now.
  • redhanded
    Just repeating my previous question if On-Ones can only be bought online or if there are some shops that stock them (I did a very quick google and couldn't find any)

I like the bike spec. but don't like the idea of buying without trying and would prefer to go through a shop that could deal with any Versa/Alfine/brake etc. issues encountered.
  • Fireblade96
    redhanded wrote:
    Just repeating my previous question if On-Ones can only be bought online or if there are some shops that stock them (I did a very quick google and couldn't find any)

I like the bike spec. but don't like the idea of buying without trying and would prefer to go through a shop that could deal with any Versa/Alfine/brake etc. issues encountered.

Planet-X/On-One have just opened a showroom in London:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/news/planet-x-news/q/date/2011/03/17/london-showroom-bikes-arrive
    Give them a call and ask if they have (or can get) the Pompetamine in stock - you'd think they would have a commuter bike offering in London !
    Misguided Idealist
  • redhanded
    redhanded wrote:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/news/planet-x-news/q/date/2011/03/17/london-showroom-bikes-arrive
    Give them a call and ask if they have (or can get) the Pompetamine in stock - you'd think they would have a commuter bike offering in London !

many thanks!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I'm a big fan of On-One frames. Built Mrs G a geared Inbred and commute on a Pompino with sexy red deep-section Ambrosio rims 8)

If the geometry of the Pompetamine is the same as the Pompino, you get a really relaxed, comfy ride with super-responsive steering.

Do it...
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680

+1 for Bicycle Magic. Unlike a lot of the bike shops around me, they actually know what they're talking about, too.