The road to Santiago

fjrburns
fjrburns Posts: 29
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
I am about to set off along the ancient route of pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in NW Spain, starting from my village in Huntingdonshire. This will be a 1200 mile journey that will take me through Celtic Europe, and will end beyond Santiago at Cape Finisterre, the most westerly point of continental Europe, and the end of the known world prior to Columbus. Sign up for Email Subscription, at the link below, for email alerts to new posts.
Enjoy reading cycling journals?
Then visit: www.frankburns.wordpress.com

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    If you want to read about our experiences of doing this, have a look at the Peregrinations link below.

Bon Camino!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• fjrburns
    Just back from my own 'peregrination' to Santiago, and picked up your message. Enjoyed reading your journals of your trip. Very well written and a great portrayal of the ups and downs of the whole experience. I completed the Camino Francés back in 1993, when most albergues just offered floor space and cold water. Now they are relatively luxurious places. You brought back vivid memories of those big climbs which I, too, tackled in July '93. It's a gruesome time of year to be doing it, but in a self-abnegating way, you feel you have achieved something extraordinary at the end.
    Buen Camino en life, and may the wind be ever at your back.
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    You took things a little more slowly than the VF did you?

William
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    fjrburns wrote:
    Just back from my own 'peregrination' to Santiago, and picked up your message. Enjoyed reading your journals of your trip. Very well written and a great portrayal of the ups and downs of the whole experience. I completed the Camino Francés back in 1993, when most albergues just offered floor space and cold water. Now they are relatively luxurious places. You brought back vivid memories of those big climbs which I, too, tackled in July '93. It's a gruesome time of year to be doing it, but in a self-abnegating way, you feel you have achieved something extraordinary at the end.
    Buen Camino en life, and may the wind be ever at your back.

Glad you enjoyed the trip and pleased that you tapped into ours. I'd go again tomorrow if I had the chance.

I see you did the Hebrides, too. That was another great adventure for us. Our next plan is to go up the Rhine to its source, cross the watershed at Andermatt and then down the Rhone to its delta. Just need to find the time off.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• fjrburns
    ........Just need to find the time off..

Retirement is the secret ;0)