Tubeless advice.

davildo
davildo Posts: 162
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I'm sure this is a simple problem, so really I'm after confirmation that what I'm going to do is right.
I have ZTR Arch rims that I run with tubes.
To convert to tubeless I think I need to:
1. Install Stan's spoke tape.
2. Install ZTR Olympic rim strip with valve. On the Stan's site this is the one that fits the Arch.
3. Install tyre. Put in no tubes sealant. Do all the soap and water business to ensure proper seal.
Job done.
Is this correct and is it the same process with tubeless ready tyres?
I've checked the process on YouTube / stans site etc.
I just can't find the whole procedure specific to ZTR rims, just regular rims I think.
Any advice or confirmation that this is right would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    basically thats it but I would mount the tyre with an innertube overnight to ensure the tape is firmly in place and the tyre shaped.
  • davildo
    davildo Posts: 162
    Thanks for the advice.
    Cheers.
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    I find it easier to put the sealant into the tyre carcas before fitting the tyre otherwise you have to dribble it in through the valve YMMV.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Remove the valve core and squirt it in.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Fit Stan's yellow spoke tape, carefully trim around valve hole.
    Fit tyre with tube (presta), inflate and leave for a few hours to seat spoke tape (overnight if it's a brand new tyre to pre-shape the tyre).
    Remove tyre and tube. Fit olympic valve (no need for rim strip with ZTR rims). Remove valve core.
    Fit tyre and do soapy water thing to make sure you can seat the bead (Saves wasting sealant if it doesn't).
    Dismount bead on one side, scoop in sealant, re-seat bead and inflate.
    Do shakey shakey thing to distribute sealant and seal any holes.
    Don't use Panaracer non-UST tyres (voice of bad experiance :evil: )
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Never bothered to 'pre-shape' tyres myself.

- yellow tape
    - slit for valve
    - one bead of tyre on (chosen carefully to ensure it'll work - Schwalbe for me)
    - sealant in
    - other side of tyre on
    - run around quickly pulling the bead toward the sidewall of the rim with your fingers
    - pump, laughing at how easily they inflate, despite many folk's experience to the contrary.

Been working for me for 5 years now on Stan's rims. If your tyres are a loose fit I'd recommend a second turn of yellow tape.