Done Kitchener - Which Red Route's Do You Recommend Next?

PapaLazar0u
PapaLazar0u Posts: 57
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hello all,

As the title says - in the last few days some friends and I have rode the Kitchener at Sherwood Pines twice and thoroughly enjoyed both rides. Tonight we have knocked about 20 mins off our original time so we are buzzing at the moment!! (and we did the proper Downhill Section which has put big grins on our faces :D ).

That said - I have read on here that the Kitchener is quite a tame Red Route and is a good step up for beginners like ourselves.

We have checked out a trip to Dalby but wondered what sort of step up something like Dalby is over Sherwood Pines? Any advice on what to expect versus what we have experienced would be appreciated.

Also - is there something else we could check out first before attempting Dalby? We don't want to travel too far at the moment due to work commitments (all based in S. Yorks) so any suggestions would be welcome.

TIA

Craig

Comments

• tangoman19
    tangoman19 Posts: 3
    Hello all,

As the title says - in the last few days some friends and I have rode the Kitchener at Sherwood Pines twice and thoroughly enjoyed both rides. Tonight we have knocked about 20 mins off our original time so we are buzzing at the moment!! (and we did the proper Downhill Section which has put big grins on our faces :D ).

That said - I have read on here that the Kitchener is quite a tame Red Route and is a good step up for beginners like ourselves.

We have checked out a trip to Dalby but wondered what sort of step up something like Dalby is over Sherwood Pines? Any advice on what to expect versus what we have experienced would be appreciated.

Also - is there something else we could check out first before attempting Dalby? We don't want to travel too far at the moment due to work commitments (all based in S. Yorks) so any suggestions would be welcome.

TIA

Craig

Alright mate, I'm based not far from Rotherham so Pines is a regular for me and my mates... However, at the side of Dalby, The Kitchener is like a ride through Clifton Park. I did Dalby and both trails at Cannock not long ago for the first time and the step up is pretty big.

They are both do-able and your skills develop as you go round the trails. You should of learnt a lot of the basics by just riding at Pines, and I found I surprised myself and passed a lot more people on the trails than passed me.

I'm convinced this is due to learning stuff off more experienced friends, who I had no choice but to try and catch! These should stand you in good stead, but there are sections which require a much much bigger set of nakkers, and lot bigger levels of fitness (the climbing being the main difference!). My riding has improved dramatically since though and Dalby red is achievable and immensly fun, take it steady, and enjoy.
    Zesty 314.

On-One Carbon 456.

UTO FTB.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I have given up on the Kitchener as it is laughable. We just don't have the gradient here. If you can get around the kitchener red twice, you'll get around the Dalby red once. The black at the Pines is not a true black. The Dalby blacks are a different ball park all together, very steep, sketchy due to the rough surface with drops and a very steep valley edge to tumble down should you leave the trail. However, it's about as much fun as you can have on a bike. If you are a beginner I would advise walking the blacks there first. Kitchener only prepares you for a cycle to the shops and back.

You could also try even further North at Keilder which is a real fun rollercoaster of a descent from the top of the hill. One of my faves.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The Dalby red is not as technical as some of the Welsh reds which in turn are not as technical as the 7stanes reds.Trail grading is vague and varies greatly.The Kitchener(IMO) is a green at best.Dalby is verging on Blue,only really red due to the length..The Dalby Blacks(from what I remember) are more of a red-grade north of the Border.
    All TC's are designed to be ridden/flow so don't get hung up on grades and just enjoy 8)
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    There's a 'black' section at Sherwood Pines?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    There's a 'black' section at Sherwood Pines?

Yes...

The forest when it's dark :lol:
  • PapaLazar0u
    Thanks for the responses everyone - much appreciated.

Looking at your replies I think my philosophy is simply going to be get out and give it a go regardless of reputation or grading - worse case i can get off and push for a bit (more worried about uphill than downhill :wink: ).

I'm away on business in Birmingham on Monday and Tuesday so I'm going to put the bike on the car and give Cannock Chase a go in the evening - wish me luck!!!

Thanks again.

Craig
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nevis Red. OK it's a bit of a drive and you'll probably be killed but apart from that...

Good points up the page though, gradings are a bit of a joke, you get stuff like nevis red which is blacker than most blacks, and glentress black which is a blatant red. Some stuff got graded years ago by the standards of the time, some stuff just got misgraded by accident or changed over time... Some stuff's intentionally misgraded for marketing purposes, like trail centres that think they need a full range of colours, or nevis range that thought being black would put people off.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • PapaLazar0u
    Been to Nevis but only on foot so take your point :wink:
  • PapaLazar0u
    Well we did the Dog on Monday evening - well just over half of it....

There was a diversion in place for maintenance and for love nor money could we pick it back up again! Not sure if it was bad signage or us being a bit thick (probably the latter :? ) but we were late arriving and due to bad light we had to stop play.

The first half that we did was great though - much, much tougher than the Kitchener - not in terms of climbs but the general terrain, obstacles and angles of the turns made it such that i really had to concentrate on what was coming up.

I'm desperate to get back to do it in full and maybe pick up the Monkey at the same time so off down there in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Craig
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    i know the sectiont that you mean.. on exit of the section you follow the bridleway to the left up the hill, then turn right at the crossroads.. then just keep looking for the red signs...

Next time you go, Turn off left onto the monkey half way round.. that really is an excellent loop!
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • PapaLazar0u
    Thanks mate - will look out for that next time. That is the way we went but expected to see something saying end of diversion or similar!