SCR Question

EightOhEight
EightOhEight Posts: 170
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
How many fellow SCR types work behind a desk/computer screen and how many do a physical job like myself (warehouse work)? Am I justified at feeling at a disadvantage on the short (10 min) but uphill ride home after a full day on my feet carrying heavy weights all day or am I just looking for an excuse for why I was passed on the last climb before home?

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    How many fellow SCR types work behind a desk/computer screen and how many do a physical job like myself (warehouse work)? Am I justified at feeling at a disadvantage on the short (10 min) but uphill ride home (Bristol Temple Meads up the Wells Rd. to Knowle) after a full day on my feet carrying heavy weights all day or am I just looking for an excuse for why I was passed on the last climb before home?

You know the answer to that.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Goes like this

M
    T
    F
    U

what are you a bird or sum-fink?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EightOhEight
    EightOhEight Posts: 170
    I'm not an IT boffin that's for sure.
  • itboffin
    I'm not an IT boffin that's for sure.

it's okay we can't all be me :P

I wasn't always a desk jockey, build your miles slowly dont go "balls" out everytime and it will come, sure enough you'll be powering up those hills faster than you ever imagined - it's true really, I started riding for the first time 4 years ago 10 miles a couple of days a month which changed to a week then eventually ending up riding 45+ miles a day on the commute.

I'm not sure it ever gets easier but you do get used to it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sketchley wrote:
    How many fellow SCR types work behind a desk/computer screen and how many do a physical job like myself (warehouse work)? Am I justified at feeling at a disadvantage on the short (10 min) but uphill ride home (Bristol Temple Meads up the Wells Rd. to Knowle) after a full day on my feet carrying heavy weights all day or am I just looking for an excuse for why I was passed on the last climb before home?

You know the answer to that.

Exactly. From our point of view, your muscles will be warm when you set off for home, so, really, it's us desk-bound folks who are at a disadvantage. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    It's more likely the 'short 10 miles' ride, best advice is go the wrong way home and pick an easy 25 mile loop, then do your short 10 home miles home. Works for me; 3 roadie scalps last night :)
    I reckon I was faster when I did workshop/wharehouse work than my now lazy office job as I've put on a few pounds, still collecting scalps though...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    10 minute ride home NOT 10 mile. In that respect, you should be nice and warm and ready to power it out for 10 mins. I sometimes find myself doing short sprints down straight roads in top gear hitting 30+mph just to workout a little harder. Treat those hills with the same mentality.

I've been doing my commute since Feb and It doesn't get any easier imo. I still arrive a sweaty mess (mainly because of a backpack I need to wear to carry my stuff) but since Feb, I've slashed a good 10 minutes off each leg of the route.

Someone on here once said "It doesn't ever get any easier, you just get quicker".

I totally agree with that quote.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Desk jockey here too - but the 'warm up' part may well be valid.

When younger I used to be able to go to maximum effort from the start without requiring a warming up period - now I seem to need at least 15 minutes of paced effort before I can turn the dial all the way up (and not have my lungs fall out).
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112

Hmm - That is nearly all climb home and gets steep. I would still say MTFU.....
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    itboffin wrote:

Oi! ;) Some birds can get up hills too....
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm a desk worker but I brutalise myself in the gym of a lunchtime... scr is all about the moment out there, doesn't matter if you cycle 50 or 4 miles MTFU and beat challengers or exhaust yourself trying... you'll beat them next time
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    being tired etc clearly will effect you, but equally you can only judge others by their appearance, clearly the FCN is far from correct it is supposed to be fun and silly.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Takes me a good 15 mins of easy pace before everything is upto temp, if I go off to quick I cramp up in my calves going up shooters hill.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Deskburd here, i'm always amazed at how much life is in my legs after a day spent at the desk..its like a spring being unsprung.
  • itboffin
    Clare_M wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

hmmm you've clearly not read the entire SCR thread ...have you? :wink:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'd say dump the Wells Road and try the either Redcatch or Ravenhill :twisted:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    itboffin wrote:
    Clare_M wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

hmmm you've clearly not read the entire SCR thread ...have you? :wink:

No, quick recap for me?
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • badly_dubbed
    badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
    shortly i will be doing a 50mile a day 6 day a week commute with a 5.30am start

followed by a 9hr shift manually lifting slabs.bricks,sand bags, plasterboard and timber all day.

feel tired yet?

:lol: