Replace freehub body?

virtue_89
virtue_89 Posts: 11
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi y'all,

Basically when I turn the cranks, the wheel doesn't spin (and yes, I am turning them the right way... :wink: ). The chain is on fine but the cassette just spins almost as if there were no splines on the freehub body underneath it, so the bike won't move! I haven't yet had the time to take it apart and have a look, but I've never taken the freehub body away from the shell before. I've also found the following on the Parktools website for freehub service...

"Be aware that it is not recommend to completely dismantle the freehub itself. There are no parts available, such as the pawls or springs. The small ball bearings are available as replacement parts. However, if the bearings are worn out and require replacing, it is very likely the entire freehub is needing replacement"

Has anyone had the same problem? Am I going to need a new hub?

Cheers
"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain

Comments

• rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    The freehub on my Shimano XT M775 wheel seized and it had to be replaced. In my case, instead of the pawls not engaging, they appeared to be jammed (mmm... jam). I purchased a new freehub from CRC. Depending on the make of the wheel, you may be able to get the freehub for it as well. It wasn't a terribly difficult job - it took me 2-3 hours. Most of which was disassembling and reassembling the hub.

I am assuming that your free-spinning cassette is a result of a failed freehub. I think this is the most likely scenario but I suppose it's possible that it's the hub.
  • virtue_89
    Ahh yes. Replace the freehub body, much more reasonable. Have found one on Wiggle, CRC etc. Will get to it I guess! Thanks. Bon appétit pour la confiture!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    virtue_89

and the hub is a what?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • virtue_89
    Sorry for not specifying - it's a Deore LX hub.
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    i have had to replace my freehub body but i bought an entire new hub as it cost pretty much the same as the freehub on its own. Now i have spare bearings and QR etc. However, i do have a budget hub.